3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Brake lights come on by themselves

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake lights come on by themselves

Hi, all.

I have a '07 3500 Megacab 5.9 with a little under 81k on the odo.

Yesterday morning, I noticed that the brake lights were on. At first I thought I had left the lights on. I opened the cab, noticed that the light switch was in the off position; but toggled the switch nevertheless. That didn't turn off the brake lights, of course. But I did notice that the trailer brake control light was on.

I tried pumping the brake pedal a few times: nothing.

When I started the truck, the lights stayed on. I pumped the brake pedal a few more times. When I backed up, I heard/felt a slight clunking noise, but the lights went out and everything felt fine. Very weird.

Last night, before bed, I noticed that the brake lights came back on. I opened the cab and the trailer brake control light was on. Now here's where it gets interesting: before I pulled the hood latch, I pulled the emergency brake release; the brake lights and trailer brake control light went out. I disconnected the batteries.

I haven't done anything else to the truck since, but have scoured the forums here. At this point, I'm leaning towards there's a problem with the trailer brake control. But I'd very much appreciate anyone else's input into this bizarre situation with my poor truck.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Do a search for the brake light switch, common issue on third gens. You can get a replacement for around $20 from Napa or I believe the OEM replacement is around $40-50. Replace it, takes no time its plug and play.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:13 PM

I have have had the problem on and off over the past few years with it happening more often a few months ago....

I also had a few customers with 3rd gens complaining of the brakes dragging while towing trailers with electric brakes right after I fixed mine. One had already had a new pedal switch installed but the problem had come back.

Bend the tang on the pedal that contacts the brake switch a little with a prybar and your issue will likely be fixed!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:33 AM

Thank you for the replies!
Old 01-05-2014, 01:07 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Blow out the switch and related contacts while your in there, my switch plunger got stuck on mine a shot of air fixed it.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:06 PM

I had the same issue and like Crazy said a shoot of air in the pedal switch and a little bend in the metal tab that holds it and all is fine.

Double check that the brake pedal come all the way back up when released.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 AM

Thanks again for all the great advice!