3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Bought Sulastic Rubber Shackles

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought Sulastic Rubber Shackles

https://www.sulastic.com/Default.aspx

I was pretty impressed/shocked with the video on their video page, 3rd one down "Ford F150 vs Chevy vs Toyota - Bed Bounce"

Once I saw that video I had to buy a pair!

So I bought a pair ($350) and should have them next week...

NADP is also installing steering stabilizer, steering shock, and track bar as I type.

I'm pretty excited to see how the ride and the steering will change!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:17 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
I have been considering buying a set for years. After you have them installed and have driven with them for a while, please report back your findings.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:51 PM

Please keep us informed. I had never heard of them, but they look like they might just work.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:31 PM

I'm having them put on as soon as I receive them. Again, it should be a huge difference if what I see on the video is true.

And the rubber shackles just make plain sense. I can't see how they would not work!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:32 PM

The only expreience I have with this design was with jeeps and off roading... They worked pretty well, but on hill climbs and under lots of power they had a loading and unloading effect that caused the vehicle to bounce or wheel hop... Look at the "jeep video" on there website and at the 1:00 minute mark you will see the jeep make a very light bucking when climbing that little hill, thats what I have witnessed but in a lot more dramatic way as the hills get bigger and the power is applied...
Old 07-13-2010, 10:37 PM

Interesting...I'm anxious to get them installed. Still nothing yet...
Old 07-17-2010, 07:02 PM

Recently found a post in re this design where the shackle flipped completely with an unloaded truck. (I'd test it hard and soon, in other words per any guarantee).

Hope you'll provide us with a bunch of photos. I enjoyed the exhaust thread that much more for the views.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:50 PM

That's interesting! I wonder if that could happen, or if it was an original design flaw...I'll take photos of them, see if they could flip, and have the guys take pics with them when putting them on the truck...

Glad you enjoyed the exhaust thread. I'm still waiting for the ceramic coating of the other pipes. The guy has some new method as to coat the insides of pipes as well...so my exhaust is the guinny pig. Apparently he's even going to make a video of it. We'll see.

And I've got that Garrett Stage 3 turbo on order too...I'll start a new post with that one (and with pics too).
Old 07-18-2010, 09:27 PM

ok saw the video, Pretty horrid but not unexpected to see in an unloaded truck. Toyota was awful though if the bed actually made contact with the cab. Where is the after video once they installed their shackles though? I should think a well matched spring and shock with proper rate and valving could fix your washboard problem though.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:07 PM

I don't have a washboard problem per se - I just want the best ride possible. I already have a Carli Starter system, but probably should have gone with the next level up - which I'm looking into, to see if it's possible.

Also, I think I'm going to drop down to an 18" rim with taller rubber for more cushion on the street - try to find a really nice-riding, quiet highway/street tire. I'll use my 20"s for winter truck tires once my Toyos wear out.

I expect the Sulastic will arrive this week. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:15 PM

Got mine today, should install on Friday.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:34 PM

Awesome...it will be good to have a couple of opinions on it!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:04 AM

I had velvet rides on my 96 for over 100,000 miles.
They made a huge difference in ride. And the truck held the road much better at high speed. Will keep you posted,how these compare.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:41 PM

Got The Sulastics Today - PICTURES

I got the sulastics in the mail. Heavy duty things they are. I have my truck in for alignment tomorrow at Kal Tire, but I doubt they'll install aftermarket products for me. I might have to go to another shop and get it done thursday...
Attached Thumbnails Bought Sulastic Rubber Shackles-sulastic1.jpg   Bought Sulastic Rubber Shackles-sulastic2.jpg   Bought Sulastic Rubber Shackles-sulastic3.jpg  
Old 07-23-2010, 09:12 PM

Sul-as-tic = Fan-tas-tic

Well, I got a shop to install the sulastics on the truck today...it took them 2 hours to do because of the rusty bolts that had to come off.

...and wow...DEFINATELY worth the money. It's funny how much of the jarring you lose at the back wheels when going over bumps. It's weird because you hit a bump and you wait for the back wheels to hit, knowing it will be worse...but it's not worse, it's at least 60% better. And going over ruts?...no sideways slip.

I hooked up my utility trailer today too - it was loaded and the total would be about 7000 lbs. Rides just as nice, no funny business.

The truck handles normally too...just sooo much smoother in the back end.

The only "problem" (and I mean it's not really a problem) is that the shackles have raised the back of the truck about 1.5 - 2 inches. So I wonder if I can find a 1.5 or 2" leveling spacer for my front suspension. Now with the Carli starter system, the rear should now be at about a 4" lift. Grrr...might have to get bigger that 35" tires now! Ha!

Next I am going to upgrade my Carli Starter system to the Carli 2.0...it's about a $1300 upgrade in parts, but it's supposed to be all the much better on the streets.

Quick Reply: Bought Sulastic Rubber Shackles