3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Boost question ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost question ?

I've been running the Quad XZT for well over a year now. I was getting about 39-41 lbs. of boost but then my fuel pump went out and the dealership replaced it with an in-tank fuel pump. Now with the XZT back on I am only getting 36 lbs. Would I lose boost because the new lp is weak? I don't have a fp gauge so I am not sure how much it is pulling it down. But I would've thought being a brand new pump that that wouldn't be the problem. I have no idea. Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?? Thanks for the input, if any.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would regularly see ZERO psi with just the xzt and my stock pump. Never lost boost though... ?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:29 PM

I wondered if it could be something as simple as the boost tube that is hooked up on the gauge being loose or broken or anything of the sort. It seemed to be in tact. I'm stumped as to what else it could be. I just serviced the truck a week ago. Changed and cleaned all filters. Dunno ?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see you are running the rocktech and the xzt... Any reason why? That's a lot of timing if you asked me. But every truck is slightly different... Also, just a thought, is there a chance your stock trans is slipping more with all the miles? That would cause less boost due to less load on engine. What say you?
Old 03-03-2008, 05:07 PM

There is a good chance it is slipping more than normal. I'm not too sure how much longer it will last. Been great since it was new. But you are probably right about losing boost through my slipping tranny. I'm okay with it as long as I know what caused it. haha. Well I had the Rokteck on before the XZT and I was told it should be fine. But I don't have the Rokteck advanced all the way either. I backed it off anyways when I added the Quad. The rattle has never been an issue.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:26 PM

Lots of mileage for a stock tranny on power adders. I could tell mine was getting tired and I really took it easy on it. The bigger tires and added power can weaken the tranny without a doubt. I don't think I noticed how poor the tranny was getting as it was gradual wear and tear. The recent DTT had installed has made a world of difference.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:02 PM

I new DTT would be nice. I can't imagine what it would feel like behind the wheel. I've never been in a truck with a fully built auto before. I know it's something I'm going to have to address before too long. Especially getting into spring and that means the trailer is never unhooked. Just gonna have to be lucky for a while I guess.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:37 PM

Prior to the DTT I had added a trans go shift kit to my tranny around 25k. It did help firm the shifts up but the weak link really is the TC. The DTT I have dropped my shift RPM by 200-300rpm which has made the biggest difference in how I drive the truck. I was just thinking that you may be slipping your TC and is why it is hard to build boost on the brake.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:44 PM

I should upgrade my converter now while everything else is still in good shape. I have read good things about the DTT shift enhancer. If I do upgrade my converter I will get one of those as well. I think my converter even when the truck was first new was weaker than it should be. At least weak for being new. It's never really gotten any worse though. Just not very good from the start.