3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Boost fooler update...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost fooler update...

Well, thanks to the guys that wouldnt help me with my BD boost fooler that didnt work, I bought a QZ and installed it tonight. Works great, just as I was told by you other stock guys, so thanks again for the help and input. I got it up to 36psi tonight on the way home, but thats unloaded and only at about 2200rpm locked in 3rd. Definately as good as you guys had made it to be. Lookin forward to towing this weekend with it to se the gains with my high egts. Dont know for sure but the power seems to be a bit smoother and more as well. Anybody else found this? I think I am going to have to get one of the BD guys (that said their fooler was the exact same as the QZ and it was impossible for a stock otherwise truck to get to 40psi with just a fooler) to come for a ride with me to prove my point. Their loss though I guess. Just wanted to share my experience on this to some others that might encounter the same thing.

Thanks again, Matt
Old 02-14-2008, 01:42 AM

You should try a boost controller too, you dont really need it but they help spool the turbo up faster. i built mine from some parts from home depot for about $25.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:51 AM

You should do a lil write up on that I have a buddy with a stock 06 wanting to do this. I dont think I can gain anything from it with the smarty, tst, and mp-8 (im sure one of those is foolin somethin bout sumthin)

Anyway post a link of parts or cost for the diy kids at home.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:58 AM

fooling is something totally different. the boost controller actually slows how fast the wastegate opens mechanically, so boost builds faster. You can defin. gain from it.

I see about doing a write up soon/when i get a chance. Ive been busy lately with all my new goodies that arrived all at once
Old 02-14-2008, 02:04 AM

I raised my boost from 40 to 50 ps with iti and is spools faster now than it did with out it, made daily driving with the SB alot better
Old 02-14-2008, 02:54 AM

How come nobody markets an adj. boost control? I would guess there are lots of people interested in a manual control if they will work with modded equip.? Atleast should be a 53willys style of write up for the guy lookin to make one at home.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:34 AM

i was wondering the same thing, i was surprised to not see a lot of people running one here when i joined. I have had them on all my gas turboed cars. I have seen one that is electronically controlled but only went up to 60 PSI. 5t was by TurboSmart. Its really nice but like $500
Old 02-14-2008, 04:38 AM

heres a pic of my setup, nothing fancy but it works!

Dont mind the guage, its how that piece came and i didnt have anything to plug it with.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:44 AM

all it is, is a adjustable pressure regulator from the tool section of home depot(0-140PSI), a couple of barbed fittings, hose clamps, and some high pressure hose.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does this help with spooling the turbo??? I could always use quicker spooling (who couldn't) but can't see how this would help...
Old 02-14-2008, 07:44 AM

Seems to me like it is basically doing what a boost elbow does, only it's easier to adjust. Now, come up with an electronic adjuster and you will be good to go. Heck, you could probably figure out a way to hook up a choke cable to it so it truly would be adjustable on the fly....
Old 02-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by Billm2004
heres a pic of my setup, nothing fancy but it works!

Dont mind the guage, its how that piece came and i didnt have anything to plug it with.
Did you just tap into the pressure hose leading to the wastegate?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:32 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Here is the boost controller I finally came up with that works. I have used Turbonetics, Greddy, etc. and this is the only one that works at our boost levels. Bill, how did you deal with the air bleed so the wastegate will go back shut? That was something I had to mess with for a while so the wastegate did not constantly cycle when at peak boost. The old lady drove the truck to work today or I would post a pic of it installed. I have mine set to 42 PSI on the stocker until I get the SPS62 put on.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Manua...spagenameZWDVW
Old 02-14-2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by matego
Here is the boost controller I finally came up with that works. I have used Turbonetics, Greddy, etc. and this is the only one that works at our boost levels. Bill, how did you deal with the air bleed so the wastegate will go back shut? That was something I had to mess with for a while so the wastegate did not constantly cycle when at peak boost. The old lady drove the truck to work today or I would post a pic of it installed. I have mine set to 42 PSI on the stocker until I get the SPS62 put on.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Manua...spagenameZWDVW
That would be cool if you could post pics. I would like to see how it plumbs as I can't wrap my head around it. Thanks for this thread guys.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:11 PM

ive got these japanese engineers here at this gatorade plant in OK right now that have the coolest looking little digital preassure gauges. There like 1"x1 1/2" and have two little buttons on them. Maybe I can make out with the one thats bolted to this 1/4 million dollar sterile air and steam unit.

On second thought I think Shageki knows the kuh-rot-tay chaw-p. or is that chinese. I dont know he speaks reeally broken english and smiles and bows alot.

Quick Reply: Boost fooler update...