3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

boost cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boost cooler

Anyone tried the boost cooler from snow performance? is so, what are your thoughts? I only want to use it for towing, I have enough power, just cant use it because of the egt's. how long has a tank of it lasted you, and have you had to take the rig in for warranty work with it installed(meaning how much crap has the dealer given you because of it)?
thanks
Old 08-15-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm looking to eventually do the same thing. Do a search in the competition forum on this site. Try searching for methanol injection or water injection. You will get alot of info from some guys with some serious rigs. Best info I've found yet.

Tony
Old 08-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Banned

thanks tony
Old 08-20-2005, 12:18 AM

Coincidence.......I just bought one and it showed up yesterday. Rip Rook had the best prices I was able to find on the 2 stage variable kit (I didn't check everywhere). I haven't put it on yet. Everything is top notch heavy duty stuff though. I was impressed. No cheap pump or wiring harness here. The instructions seem good (just from reading through them). They seem to have thought of everything, even including all the fittings and tubing you would need to tap into your existing windshield washer fluid reservoir to use it as a tank (since it has a dash chime to tell you when your low). They give you enough jets for two different configurations. Arming switch and a neat little LED for the dash that tells you when it kicks on and off. Cool stuff. Looking forward to hooking it up. Was not impressed with the size of the tank that they give you though. It appears to be about 2 quarts. Heck, using it for towing you would think it will be empty every 50 miles. I guess that is why they give you the stuff to tap the washer fluid reservoir…..probably a popular option with the size of the tank they give you.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:46 PM

Ok so call me dumb, but what is a boost cooler?
Old 08-26-2005, 07:29 PM

.....what is a boost cooler?

Chemically intercooled….man that just sounds cool, doesn’t it? Injecting a mixture of water and methanol into the intake charge. Snow Performance makes kits…. http://www.snowperformance.net/

I got mine hooked up today and am so far impressed. I set it up according to the advice I got from others and haven't had time to tweak it any to see if I can get more from it. I'll take it to the track on Sunday and see what she does. I went with a 60/40 mix.

As far as EGTs go…..I'm more interested in it for a safer power increase over nitrous. I talked with the guys at Snow and they told me that when the water/meth initially comes on, EGTs will go up slightly. They said it takes about 10 to 15 seconds before the cooling effects of the water has a chance to work, but then EGTs will go down a good 200*F. For my application, they said I may be at the end of the track before the cooling effects come in, so I may not see a EGT decrease at all, but will get all the power gain. That is fine with me as I don’t have EGT problems now.

I pulled a really long hill today just to try it out and see what the water/meth would add when it kicked in. I hit the hill at 70mph and laid on the go pedal until it maintained 70mph going up and held it steady. Turned on the water/meth and it just laid me back in the seat. It provided a really nice kick. EGTs went up about 40 degrees initially, then started dropping fast after only 5 seconds. EGTs dropped about 75*F by the time I reached the top of the hill.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Banned

nice to hear those kinds of results ak, hmmmm month is almost over.... bomb of the month awaits.......

Trending Topics

Old 08-26-2005, 09:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
when you say tap the washer bottle do you mean you are burning washer fluid?
if not where do i get meth besides downtown under the bridge after dark and without going to jail?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:01 PM

I'm not burning washer fluid, but that is a popular option with a lot of folks. You can tap the washer bottle and use just regular washer fluid if you want. Washer fluid is somewhere between 20% to 30% methanol depending on the brand. A lot of people prefer to tap the washer fluid bottle as it holds a lot more fluid than the little reservoir they give you in the kit (not to mention trying to find a place to mount it), plus you get the dash chime and "washer fluid low" light in the cab when it gets to the bottom so you know your not running your pump dry. The Snow kit contains the fittings required to tap the washer fluid bottle if you want.

If you want to mix your own, methanol can be purchased at a lot of places. It is used as racing fuel. Do a Google search on "Methanol Racing Fuel" and there are many places that sell it by the gallon, 5 gallons, or 55 gallon drums, shipped right to your door. If you have any racing shops near you that re-fills nitrous bottles, they probably carry methanol as well or at least can tell you who does in your town.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:06 PM

Re: boost cooler

Originally posted by dodgezilla04
....how long has a tank of it lasted you....
If you want it for towing you will probably need the big tank that they sell as an accessory and hope you can find a place to mount it. The little tank that they give you in the kit probably holds a 3rd (roughly two quarts) of what the washer fluid tank holds and it looks like I will empty it every two or three passes down the track. That won't get you very far towing.