3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Body Modification Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Body Modification Question

Since I am going to Road Armor Bumpers, I will not have any clearance issues in the front of the front fender well, but is there anything that can be done as far as giving me clearance in the rear of the front fender well? Is there anything at all that can be done. I need to get an extra 2" of clearance since my tires are 3.9" larger. The same question goes for the rear. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:39 PM

Fiberglass Fenders from glassworks Unlimited or Desert Racing Concepts could give you more at the rear of the front fenders. Don't know what could be done for the Rear except triming them. Hope this helps.

Last edited by DylanRam2500; 10-28-2006 at 09:40 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 10-28-2006, 09:56 PM

SO you are saying put those on, and trim the factory sheetmetal?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:11 PM

It a suggestion to solution of your problem, but It your truck.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:28 PM

No, I understand that. I was asking if that's what you were in fact recommending.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:32 PM

I don't think he knows you have a dually... with dually fenders.

So are you going with the 40"s?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:32 PM

I see my suggestion as one recommenation of many that other could see of as a fix.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:49 PM

I don't want to HAVE to go with the 40's, but I don't think a 275/70 is enough of a difference, which only leaves a 295/60 (of which no deep lugs tires are sold in this country in that size, they are all highway cruisers) or a 295/75 which is what I will have to go with (Goodyear G182 RSD). Hopefully with the Kelderman 0-2" or a really good 2" kit, and some body mods, I will be able to stuff them in there.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There isn't a lot that can be done. Dodge fenders are just made so that there is barely any metal in between the wheel well and the door. I think the best solution to your problem would be to push the front axle forward about an inch. You'll get a better ride out of it and with the Road Armor front bumper, there is plenty of room. I'm moving my front axle forward with the new long arms once they are on the truck.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by DylanRam2500
I see my suggestion as one recommenation of many that other could see of as a fix.
From the sound of your post, I think you misunderstood mine. What I was talking about was just for you to say "yes" or "no" as to whether or not I understood you correctly.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by djgaston
There isn't a lot that can be done. Dodge fenders are just made so that there is barely any metal in between the wheel well and the door. I think the best solution to your problem would be to push the front axle forward about an inch. You'll get a better ride out of it and with the Road Armor front bumper, there is plenty of room. I'm moving my front axle forward with the new long arms once they are on the truck.
I thought about that. How do you go about doing that? I am technically ignorant with suspensions!
Old 10-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
I thought about that. How do you go about doing that? I am technically ignorant with suspensions!
Well, if you are going to go with the Kelderman setup, you could talk to them about the arms. But if you are only going with a couple inches of lift, I think your best bet would be to have some new control arms custom made, and definitely get them adjustable. There are really several ways to make this happen but it all boils down to you just need longer control arms, one way or another. You could have some custom made. You could get some from Skyjacker, but we would need to see how much longer they are than stock (I can measure mine for you). It's really as simple as that. If you only go forward an inch or so, you don't have to worry about the track bar, sway bar, or any of that. It's a great mod and the only thing that holds people back from doing it once they find out is that the front bumper usually gets in the way. Not with the Road Armors, they give you all the room you need.

I actually went forward 3 inches on my 2nd gen and it has worked out great for me, but it's sitting a little higher at 13 inches of suspension lift.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by djgaston
Well, if you are going to go with the Kelderman setup, you could talk to them about the arms. But if you are only going with a couple inches of lift, I think your best bet would be to have some new control arms custom made, and definitely get them adjustable. There are really several ways to make this happen but it all boils down to you just need longer control arms, one way or another. You could have some custom made. You could get some from Skyjacker, but we would need to see how much longer they are than stock (I can measure mine for you). It's really as simple as that. If you only go forward an inch or so, you don't have to worry about the track bar, sway bar, or any of that. It's a great mod and the only thing that holds people back from doing it once they find out is that the front bumper usually gets in the way. Not with the Road Armors, they give you all the room you need.

I actually went forward 3 inches on my 2nd gen and it has worked out great for me, but it's sitting a little higher at 13 inches of suspension lift.

13"!!! Wow! A little more than mine.

Do you think that 2" would be enough? My 37s clear now with about 1/2" (I believe) clearance when the tire is closest to the stock bumper. Pushing it 2" forward should clear 40's should it not?

I would definitely appreciate you measuring your stock control arms.

Your truck has given me so many ideas and so much inspiration!
Old 10-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
13"!!! Wow! A little more than mine.

Do you think that 2" would be enough? My 37s clear now with about 1/2" (I believe) clearance when the tire is closest to the stock bumper. Pushing it 2" forward should clear 40's should it not?

I would definitely appreciate you measuring your stock control arms.

Your truck has given me so many ideas and so much inspiration!
2 inches forward may be too much with only a couple inches of lift. You generally want 1/4 inch for every inch you lift, so you would be looking at going 1/2 inch forward, but I'd double it and go 1 inch. I think 2 inches is going to be too much really. It doesn't sound like much but what you'll end up with is a track bar that rubs the axle housing and possibly a drag link that hits the sway bar mount on the passenger side. I'd have to look at it to see how much room there is to play with. That is one very good thing about adjustable arms. Plan on going with arms that are 1 inch longer, but you can always adjust each heim out 1/2 inch and get 2 inches of movement if the truck will accept it. If not, you just thread them back in.

There are just a lot of variables. The tires may not measure out to 40 inches. It also depends on how wide they are. I wish there was a formula to figure it out but the only way I have been able to decide on axle placement is by standing there and staring at it for a while and then going with a number. I've been lucky so far in that all of my predictions have been right on the money, but even Babe Ruth struck out.

It's funny that you say my truck has given you inspiration. I'm sitting here reading the power mods in your signature and I find myself wanting basically the same setup. The inspiration definitely goes both ways, my friend.

I forgot that I have my stock control arms from this truck somewhere, I'll go out and try to find them and measure both, we'll see if the Skyjacker arms are any longer. They are not adjustable though.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:27 PM

Who makes the best adjustable custom setup? I definitely want this truck to continue to use the "overbuilt" theme. As I am sure you feel the same way, I don't ever want to be "maxxing" anything out.

I just uploaded Smarty #9 and have my TST at 5/4 and WOAH!!! You wouldn't believe it! It rev's like a N/A engine, ABSOLUTELY NO LAG!! You gotta do it!

Oh, and the tires are Goodyear G182 RSDs and are 40.8" in diameter and 11.3" wide. I would still use my 7.5" rims.

Here are the tires:

Quick Reply: Body Modification Question