3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Bob,or Marco. Will Smarty ever offer a controler for on the fly level changes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Imagine running Windows 2000 and trying to install Vista at the same time on one hard drive.... ;-)

If you have big sticks...you don't really need to stack. Stacking just allows for more adjustibility...as well as user error.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:02 AM

I am aware of the switch...in timing due to temp.

How many "switches" can you cram in there?

It seems like the space the alloted for these "choices" in the OEM programming can not change when you rewrite them...so something has to give. Something does!

But...I am only a novice programmer at best...so what do I know? LOL

Good luck. I am out.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:06 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ptgarcia
I don't think it's unreasonable, but like you mentioned in a previous post, it doesn't eliminate the chance of being burned. We all know that like trucks with like mods will not all run the same. In my opinion, any time power numbers are quoted, they should be preceded by "On our test truck" and superseded by "Your results may vary", or some other disclaimer explaining why customer trucks may not see the same results as the test truck.
I agree. But if we could have something as a baseline reference-- an honest one-- that's all I'm asking for.

I mean, I've seen before and after on injectors for instance. 90hp injectors with before and after dyno pulls... produced about 93-94hp increase. Same injectors on another truck produced 98hp increase. I'm sure those could go on yet another truck and get say 88hp increase and everybody would say yeah that's all within tolerance of what is advertised. It is yet another thing to get a module that says you"ll get "x-y-z HP"! Then you dyno on your truck and get "a-b-c HP" that is about 1/2 of what they advertised and then you read the fine print of you can get this much if you do all the airflow improvement like intake & exhaust for another $1200...
Old 10-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by soulezoo
I agree. But if we could have something as a baseline reference-- an honest one-- that's all I'm asking for.

I mean, I've seen before and after on injectors for instance. 90hp injectors with before and after dyno pulls... produced about 93-94hp increase. Same injectors on another truck produced 98hp increase. I'm sure those could go on yet another truck and get say 88hp increase and everybody would say yeah that's all within tolerance of what is advertised. It is yet another thing to get a module that says you"ll get "x-y-z HP"! Then you dyno on your truck and get "a-b-c HP" that is about 1/2 of what they advertised and then you read the fine print of you can get this much if you do all the airflow improvement like intake & exhaust for another $1200...
DOES ANYONE BELIEVE THEY WILL DOUBLE THIER HP BY DOING INTAKE AND EXHAUST MODS ?

YOU CAN'T GAIN TOO MUCH HP BY DOING ANY OF THAT

THE BIGGEST HELP IS COLD AIR IN , COOLER EGT'S , WHICH ALLOWS YOU TO RUN HIGHER HP LEVELS AND NOT BE AS HOT. (LESS PUMPING LOSSES)
Old 10-11-2007, 11:40 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by #2 only
DOES ANYONE BELIEVE THEY WILL DOUBLE THIER HP BY DOING INTAKE AND EXHAUST MODS ?

YOU CAN'T GAIN TOO MUCH HP BY DOING ANY OF THAT

THE BIGGEST HELP IS COLD AIR IN , COOLER EGT'S , WHICH ALLOWS YOU TO RUN HIGHER HP LEVELS AND NOT BE AS HOT. (LESS PUMPING LOSSES)
Don't quote me... that is the manufacturers statement. I just have the numbers the truck did.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

Soulezoo,
I Wasn't Trying To Debate With You Or Qoute You.i'm Just Saying That You Won't Gain Much With Intake Or Exhaust Mods As The Factorys Tell Us.example Brand X"gain 40-50 Hp By Installing Our Intake And Exhaust" We Need To Be Wiser Than That,although Many Of Us Will Fall Into That Trap And Be Decieved!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:02 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by #2 only
Soulezoo,
I Wasn't Trying To Debate With You Or Qoute You.i'm Just Saying That You Won't Gain Much With Intake Or Exhaust Mods As The Factorys Tell Us.example Brand X"gain 40-50 Hp By Installing Our Intake And Exhaust" We Need To Be Wiser Than That,although Many Of Us Will Fall Into That Trap And Be Decieved!
Understood... but the trap I fell into was expecting a ceratin amount of advertised HP... then I didn't get anywhere near it, then read the fine print.

FWIW... That is what I respect about Smarty. They make their HP claim and then back it up with clear statements like (paraphrasing here) "the test truck was stock; stock exhaust, stock intake, even stock intake filter".
I can accept that there are differences in individual trucks, different dynos, different atmospheric conditions and etc. when testing these things...
I don't have to accept intentional deception.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Banned

Some Of Them(manufac) Do It On Purpose,some Don't Even Know The Truth For Themselves.they Know That Lots Of End Users Will Buy It(pun Intended)
Old 10-11-2007, 08:06 PM

Some of you seem to have opinions founded on theory, or some experiment in the past. I can tell you personally that there is a huge difference between programs. You can actually hear and feel the difference in my truck just by switching, and this is at idle. Switching from Tow To CL under normal accel. will definitely let you know that there was a REAL change; you can hear it, feel it and see it. I will also add that rail pressure seems to rise much quicker with CL, as well as timing and duration. I don't think this is "smoke and mirrors" or some silly boost fooling nonsense. Don't know how they did it, but it probably wasn't that easy. They were the first to market a programmer for the Dodge.

If you have a base program, Smarty, BDDL, whatever; and you have a way to change the performance parameters like timing and duration, would this not be the net equivalent of changing programs. What else needs to be changed?

Stopping to reload another program is a waste of time, especially when a large percentage of the data is the same. That is why I chose what I did.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:13 PM

Me, I'm just glad that there are at least two companies out there trying to out do each other to offer us the best programmers possible....we all win from that. Shift on the fly programs would be cool...I use the TST to do that function now..... but shifting from something like SW4 to 8....would be cool. I think the TST R49 achieves much more stacked with a good downloader provided you have the mods to realize its true potential.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:45 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Now if I could only get that TST for about $200...
Old 10-12-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
Now if I could only get that TST for about $200...

If I could only get a TST for my '07!!!!!

I loved my Smarty/TST/MP-8 stack on my '03. Good times!

Now, on the subject-

On my '03 the Triple Dog played very well with the TST. The Triple Dog, however, didn't even make for a 20hp difference between tow and extreme. It really wasn't worth the money on my '03 at all. It even set a code that could never be reset.

In short, the BDDL was a 66hp downloader (run by itself) on a truck with ALL the supporting mods for 500+ horsepower. The Smarty by itself on the same truck yielded over 130hp. Whether I could change levels on the BDDL or not I dindn't care. I always ran it on the same setting because it didn't make a SOP difference in performance. Essentially I paid over $500 for one program.

I was extremely pleased with the Smarty, even if I did have to reload programs. I would like on the fly adjustability, but the Smarty may be doing more than the BDDL, leaving less room in the ECM.

But what do I know, I just push buttons
Old 10-12-2007, 11:42 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Smarty owners:

Be sure to read Bob Wagner's bulletin on the new smarty updates!

Very important info!!