3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Bob,or Marco. Will Smarty ever offer a controler for on the fly level changes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PEAKSTRYDE
Is there any possibility with our ecm's to have 2 different downloads at one time and then use a toggle switch to "toggle" between them???????

This is a popular thing that the DSNAX guys do. Download like a 100HP "tow tune" and a 250HP "race tune"!!!!!!

If we could do something like that atleast it would give some adjustability, enough that I would give the Smarty a try. I haven't switched yet because I would feel trapped with only 1 download and no adjustability.
I hear ya... but that is what stacking the boxes does... the downloader has your written "tow tune" that you are driving around on, then turn up your stacked box for the "race tune"
Old 10-11-2007, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep...like quad said.

I have said this a bunch of times too...it is NOT a new program.

BDDL uses a boost fooling pressure reducing smoke and mirrors approach tomake it adjustible on the fly...

I am not saying it doe snot work...but it is a bandaid. It is not like switching from 130 hp to 60 hp programs...period. It can't be done.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Yep...like quad said.

I have said this a bunch of times too...it is NOT a new program.

BDDL uses a boost fooling pressure reducing smoke and mirrors approach tomake it adjustible on the fly...

I am not saying it doe snot work...but it is a bandaid. It is not like switching from 130 hp to 60 hp programs...period. It can't be done.

You and quad say it all you want. Fact is it does work. We program all of the performance maps in the initial program and then send a message to switch in between them. It can be done...it has been done...and it is for real.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:12 AM

Well...I guess I stand corrcted. I have not had a BDDL for a few years now...

It was not that way before.

So...

Does the timing change?
Does the fuel/boost map change?
Does the duration change?

Or is it done by fooling/manipulating boost/rp sensor readings?

Probably won't tell us....lol.

There is not enough space in the ECM to store 2,3, or more complete programs...
Old 10-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Well its about time I started a good heated conversation ...
Old 10-11-2007, 10:22 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bud Kunz
You and quad say it all you want. Fact is it does work. We program all of the performance maps in the initial program and then send a message to switch in between them. It can be done...it has been done...and it is for real.
Thank you Bud for chiming in.

I'm not trying to start any manufacturer war here or pit one against the other. I'm simply trying to pull out some facts for reference to allow each of us as end consumers to make an informed, not emotional, choice.

Yes, many have their stated preference of power adders. I'm not trying to do that. I will say which ones I don't like from experience, but will only provide facts and not bash. They are what they are.

I have no personal experience with Bully Dog so am not in a position to offer any opinion on it. But if you, or Quad or Marco or anyother manufacturer, could provide objective evidence that "Bully Dog X-program stacked with Y" provides the most/best power... then I think brand loyalty starts to waver and folks will flock to the proven. I got burned by the marketing hype before--- I intend to be a better informed customer in the future.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
But if you, or Quad or Marco or anyother manufacturer, could provide objective evidence that "Bully Dog X-program stacked with Y" provides the most/best power... then I think brand loyalty starts to waver and folks will flock to the proven.

This isn't likely. Too many variables. And some products work better than others on some trucks.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:28 AM

I hear ya... but that is what stacking the boxes does... the downloader has your written "tow tune" that you are dirving around on, then turn up your stacked box for the "race tune"

I understand "stacking" and thats why I'm running what I am!

So how about downloading 2 Smarty tunes and switching between them. Then there is no need to stack. Simple and easy drive and adjustability, SMART too!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Well...I guess I stand corrcted. I have not had a BDDL for a few years now...

It was not that way before.

So...

Does the timing change?
Does the fuel/boost map change?
Does the duration change?

Or is it done by fooling/manipulating boost/rp sensor readings?

Probably won't tell us....lol.

There is not enough space in the ECM to store 2,3, or more complete programs...
We currently do timing and duration. I am currently working on boost fueling and pressure.

I didn't say anything about complete progams. Of course there is a limit to what information I can divulge. Especially in a thread with a competitors name in the title.

I am, however, on this forum to provide better customer support and information about our product and I will answer as much as I can.

The original outlook and power pup did defuel via the map sensor. However we did this for just that reason, to defuel the truck in case it got too hot. We never intended it to be or advertised it as adjustable on the fly.

On the Triple Dog Outlook, we don't even connect to the map sensor on 2006 and up trucks. On the 2003 to 2005 trucks we hook to it only to read boost.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:41 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
This isn't likely. Too many variables. And some products work better than others on some trucks.
This is all very true. And the more and different mods that go on the truck start to increase the variables exponentially... that is why we can probably expect to not get a reasonable answer.

But still, in light of what you just wrote, the manufacturers for the most part take a stock truck, dyno their product and assign a value to it. This makes "Y" power.

So why can't a manufacturer, pick one, I don't care, make a downloader then make a module that are made to work hand in hand with one another for stacking, and take a stock truck and say "this combo makes 'X' power when stacked at these levels". Or even go one better because we know fuel becomes an issue "when using an otherwise stock truck but with a FASS/Walbro lift pump this combo will make 'X' power."

Does that really sound so unreasonable?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:41 AM

I was just trying to point out that...it is NOT the same as downloading a new program. I am not saying it does not work, but the 90 hp program probably works better on its own then de-tuning the 130 hp program for example.

Thanks for your straight forward answer Bud.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud Kunz

It seems a little too far fetched for me. I was a factory tech for many years, so I'm used to factory stuff, and understand how the ecm works. I am having a hard time understanding how you can switch from one download to another with a switch. The parameters in the ecm cannot be variable with a switch. They are set, as are most computers, programmed to see that if x=y then perform z. Without divulging propriotary (sp) information, how can you explain changing x and/or y with a switch. To me......it sounds like you have a downloader and a box. The downloader changes the parameters in the ecm and the box allows the switching. You basically have your own stack. I am just trying to understand, not bashing. Please don't take it that way.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Well I would be happy with 2 programs, 1 for everyday driving and 1 for when that moron pulls up beside you and thinks hes got something. At the track or Dyno to get big #'s I think you need to stack, maybe some day soon you will have one programmer do it all but not yet.
I just wanted to know if its possible, and sure it may be a pain in the butt to make happen but if their is enough demand for it, it may be worth trying.

I would think these programs #7 vrs #9 or Extreeme vrs performance would have to share alot of the same code, so compress it. Easy for me to say Im computer challenged so I have no clue, Im sure its much harder than that but Im sure somehow it can be done.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:51 AM

I got burned by the marketing hype before....
So why can't a manufacturer, pick one, I don't care, make a downloader then make a module that are made to work hand in hand with one another for stacking, and take a stock truck and say "this combo makes 'X' power when stacked at these levels". Or even go one better because we know fuel becomes an issue "when using an otherwise stock truck but with a FASS/Walbro lift pump this combo will make 'X' power."

Does that really sound so unreasonable?

I don't think it's unreasonable, but like you mentioned in a previous post, it doesn't eliminate the chance of being burned. We all know that like trucks with like mods will not all run the same. In my opinion, any time power numbers are quoted, they should be preceded by "On our test truck" and superseded by "Your results may vary", or some other disclaimer explaining why customer trucks may not see the same results as the test truck.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:55 AM

Think of it this way. Most programming has a timing map for cold engine temp and one for operating engine temp. It switches the map when the temperature gets hot enough. We just switch the map. I'm not saying it was easy to figure out, as a matter of fact it's pretty complicated, that might explain why no one else is doing it.

Quick Reply: Bob,or Marco. Will Smarty ever offer a controler for on the fly level changes?