3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Blown intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown intercooler

I have been hearing some extra noise from the engine compartment lately. Had freinds look to try and identify it when I would hold brake in gear and genrate the noise. We never could fing it. I pulled trailer with latest mods for first time last weekend and noticed a lot of extra smoke. Well we were headed to Atco, NJ for the first NSCA race of the year when I was three hours from home and heard a loud rush of air. Upon stopping and investigating I found part of the rubber seal used to seal plastic tanks to the core of the intercoller blown out. I understand they only used this intercooler on 2005 trucks. I limped from Gainesville, VA to Baltimore, MD. I then made a stop. When I pulled out I noticed even more loss of power and the MLS light on. If it were not hard enough to pull 23,000 GCVW with a max of 8 psi boost and having to watch EGT and try to keep it to a livable level this thing was horrib le once the light came on. It would not run more than 50 MPH. Finally I gave up and stopped got some sleep. I found a dealer up the street and took it in. Cooks Dodge in Albermarle, MD. They located a new intercooler and had to get it at Newark, NJ 30 minutes away. The parts runner was sent out at 10:00AM he got there 10:40A and would not answer phone at 11:30A. They finally reached him and he thought the warehouse did not open til 11:30A but they sent him out at 10:00A to get there at 10:30A to pick up part and be back by 11:30A. This put me two hours behind due to lunch break and all. Then the mechanic kept nosing around at my EGT senser and wiring, can't imagine what he was looking for. Finally after removing AC condenser and all and recharging AC to put intercooler in he was done at 2:30P. As I signed the warranty ticket the mech. was griping about the limited labor he was paid for the job. I have yet to figure whay he didn't just pull the screws from AC condensor let someone hold it while he removed intercooler and replaced then bolt condesor back in. He probably could have been done in half the time. Nevertheless I had to be in Newark as quick as possible during Friday afternoon rush hour to get racing fuel before the oil company closed. Well we made it. If only the folks working at the dealership worked half as fast as we did hooking back to trailer and rushing to a business that we had never been to before. With tranny mods my truck was a terd with out TST. I had just had the boost limit installed. Must have been too late. I am going to send back to get cool down timer and adjustable boost limit installed. We maded it to Atco and it rained all friday night and they cancelled race Saturday morning. So the trcuk is just part of my eventfull week getting to this race.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:30 PM

I'm not waiting for mine to blow. Putting a new one in next week. Even if it is covered by warranty, who knows where I'll be when not if she lets loose.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 3 friends that have 05 cummins with the plastic intercooler all failed.

It seems 1/2 threw the year they quit putting on the plastic ones and went back to the original. I think they should recal all those plastic ones!!!
Old 04-23-2006, 10:46 AM

It's cheaper for chrysler to replace the ones that go out under warranty & let the customer foot the bill when it's out of warranty. It's all about $$$.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by tankeryanker
It's cheaper for chrysler to replace the ones that go out under warranty & let the customer foot the bill when it's out of warranty. It's all about $$$.
My intercoller looks like it has plastic ends on it. With my stack, i'm hard pressed to get 35psi of boost which i think is odd. DO I have one of those plastic intercoolers?

THanks.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has the plastic ends also. So far no problems. I've hit 42psi a bunch of times... {knocking on wood}
Old 04-23-2006, 01:47 PM

I've read that they are blowing in a stock truck while towing heavy, which I do.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:15 PM

So what brand are guys upgrading to?
Old 05-09-2006, 09:56 PM

Add one more 05 to the list! Pulled out to pass Sunday towing my travel trailer and all of a sudden it sounded like compressed air blowing against the firewall and about half the usual power. Limped home and the dealer will have a new one next week. I hope it is aluminum this time! Otherwise, great truck and nothing to complain about.