3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Blown Head gasket!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abc4yew
I'm not convinced that the headgasket is blown (warped or cut) in this case. If the truck is running fine and maintaining compression then I don't think the firerings are breached. If the head has 55psi of pneumatic pressure at 1300degrees from combustion and 75psi of hydraulic pressure at 250 degrees from block coolant flow through the head....I'd think the hydraulic pressure would have the ability to breach the non mls headgasket. If you aren't getting coolant to cylinder or cylinder to coolant breach than the headgasket is not blown but there is something wrong.

I'd check the studs torque and there is a chance that the gasket is coolant pressure breached versus combustion plasma warped (cut) and breached. If this is the case the non MLS gasket might hold coolant pressure once reclamped equally on all studs....if they are not all tight and equal.

I would assume that the head and deck were planed and leveled when the fire rings were done. With 14mm studs you'd think that 3 or 4 times retorquing would have them set...I think it is more likely that the gasket thickness does not exactly match with the firering inset.

If the firerings are gapping the head to gasket to deck seal than nothing will fix it other than a thicker gasket or better inset of the firerings. I heard of firerings that weren't properly matched to the gasket before....am I the only one?

Kerry
Well I can see coolant coming out from the back of the motor between the head and block, at first I thought that it was a frost plug but it is not. I am not sure what gasket Scheid used, I do have some pictures stored on my work computer so I'll try to post them later.

Also there is no engine miss and just leaks water out the back, even when tring to refill the system.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:30 PM

Finally got the head off last week, and by the looks of things it looks like every firering has been leaking. I can see some carbon paths (yes carbon build up on the block) to the coolant jacket in places.
The mechanic that is doing the work thinks that the grooves are cut indifferent? The grooves that are cut into the block are a half moon groove and the only thing that he has ever done was cut square grooves.

So can anyone out there tell me what way to turn now? I don't want to just put the motor back together with new rings and gasket, because I am sure I will be back in the same SINKING boat!

Thanks
Dustin
Old 01-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Hey Dustin... is Scheid out of the picture now ? Seems a law suit would be in order.

If I were you, I'd talk to PDI in Utah. ( trying to think of some place close to you ) They were the first to build a 1000hp mega and the first to go over 600hp with a 6.7L

I'd say they know what they're doing and could give you some desent advice.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:58 PM

No Ty, Scheid is still working on the problem, I just have a local mechanic doing the work. He is really good and Dan knows him so he suggested that I take it to him, to save me hauling the truck to them.

I just want the problem solved, no problems.

Dustin
Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Banned

you sure have more patience than I would have had with them.

The fact you need to know the questions you're asking says a lot about Scheid too.... you shouldn't have to be bothered with it.... you paid out the .... to have it done right. They should be able to talk to your mechanic to tell him exactly what needs to be done.

Sorry... I'm getting fired up about it... ! Hope it all works out eventually
Old 01-02-2008, 04:31 PM

Half moon? I thought you had fire rings.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:13 PM

That is why I don't have firerings anymore. I wish Schied didn't put them in mine in the first place. I ended up putting a new block and getting rid of them. But the last guy that put mine together the machine shop is telling me didn't have enough ring gap and started melting the pistons from under the ceramic coating. So this time the machine shop ordered Ross pistons for me but ordered 17:1 when I wanted 15:1 or 16:1 ratio. It just shows if you want something done right you have to do it yourself were you only have yourself to blame.