3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Bilstein 5100's Installed Tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilstein 5100's Installed Tonight!

I've been needing to replace the shocks on my '05 for awhile now (I'm at just over 70,000 miles) but had been putting it off in hopes that I would break down and purchase a 2.5" kit from Carli or Lorenz. Since that wasn't quite in my budget at the moment, I opted to go with the Bilstein 5100's.

I shot an e-mail over to Sean Lorenzen letting him know I needed some new shocks that would work with my existing levelling kit as well as work for when I tow (approx. 12,000 lbs. w/ bobcat or mini-excavator). He said he did have the ones I needed in stock for the front and suggested his Bilsteins for the rear which "have a different valve rate and an internal blow off that will make the ride smoother in the rear when compared to the standard 5100's".

I purchased them over the internet the next day and they were on my doorstep two days after that. I also needed to replace the front brake pads, so I decided to do the shocks and brakes at the same time.

I highly suggest having a 2nd person around for the installation of the front shocks! You'll need a 19mm for the top bolt and a 15mm for the tower bolts as well as least 10" of extension for your ratchet. I opted to re-use the stock bushings and washers, as they seemed to have a better fit than the ones supplied by Bilstein. The fronts took about 15-20 minutes per side w/ air tools. The rears took slightly less time but were MUCH easier. I recommend taking the driver's side plastic rear wheel well liner off to access the upper bolt. No need to do that on the passenger side.

After throwing the new OEM brakes on, I was anxious to take it for a spin! I immediately felt less bounciness just from leaving the driveway. I only cruised it around my neighborhood but it felt like a totally different truck! It could be because the stock shocks were shot, but it feels REALLY solid!

After work tomorrow I should have some more feedback about how it feels on the freeway. I'll throw another post on here once I get home.

Jared
Old 08-24-2006, 08:33 AM

it is amazing how stiff the stock shocks are.

if you have any question about the rest of the lorenz stuff, or install question let me know.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:12 AM

I plan on swapping shocks this weekend, thanks for the write up!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:43 PM

Yep, I had a buddy of mine help me with the fronts. It would have been tough without any help.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try installing a Kore/Chase system all by yourself with a bad back....
Old 08-24-2006, 10:54 PM

I just put my 5100's on this weekend. I bought them from Geno's and they just came off backorder. I didn't notice a huge difference, but it seems to follow the bumps in the road better now. It doesn't jar my insides like the stock shocks did. The short sidewalls make the ride a little worse than normal on my truck.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by jaredb900rr
I've been needing to replace the shocks on my '05 for awhile now (I'm at just over 70,000 miles) but had been putting it off in hopes that I would break down and purchase a 2.5" kit from Carli or Lorenz. Since that wasn't quite in my budget at the moment, I opted to go with the Bilstein 5100's.

I shot an e-mail over to Sean Lorenzen letting him know I needed some new shocks that would work with my existing levelling kit as well as work for when I tow (approx. 12,000 lbs. w/ bobcat or mini-excavator). He said he did have the ones I needed in stock for the front and suggested his Bilsteins for the rear which "have a different valve rate and an internal blow off that will make the ride smoother in the rear when compared to the standard 5100's".

I purchased them over the internet the next day and they were on my doorstep two days after that. I also needed to replace the front brake pads, so I decided to do the shocks and brakes at the same time.

I highly suggest having a 2nd person around for the installation of the front shocks! You'll need a 19mm for the top bolt and a 15mm for the tower bolts as well as least 10" of extension for your ratchet. I opted to re-use the stock bushings and washers, as they seemed to have a better fit than the ones supplied by Bilstein. The fronts took about 15-20 minutes per side w/ air tools. The rears took slightly less time but were MUCH easier. I recommend taking the driver's side plastic rear wheel well liner off to access the upper bolt. No need to do that on the passenger side.

After throwing the new OEM brakes on, I was anxious to take it for a spin! I immediately felt less bounciness just from leaving the driveway. I only cruised it around my neighborhood but it felt like a totally different truck! It could be because the stock shocks were shot, but it feels REALLY solid!

After work tomorrow I should have some more feedback about how it feels on the freeway. I'll throw another post on here once I get home.

Jared

how's the ride?

Gotta love Sand Mountain :-)
Old 08-25-2006, 08:48 PM

The truck rides much smoother than before! I especially like how it stiffened up the truck for cornering. I'm sure that's just because the stock shocks were so shot, though.

Nitro71455 - Sand Mountain is great, although those pics on my profile are from Knolls, which is about an hour west of Salt Lake, off I-80. I haven't been back there since November, when I came up short on a little gap and dislocated my shoulder and tore cartilage. I have since had an arthroscopic bankart repair and my shoulder is feeling great! Been wakeboarding at Utah Lake a couple of times a week for the last month and it feels really solid. I'll probably pick up a new CR450f for next year so I can get back out on the dunes!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:51 PM

well, after a few hours of rolling around on the driveway, I installed ONE shock, the front drivers side. what a pain in the butt, and hopefully the other side will go easier, and I KNOW the back is easy peasy!
Old 08-26-2006, 05:46 AM

I installed mine myself and honestly cannot tell a difference from the stock ones with 65000 miles on them. And YES the fronts are a pain if you're by yourself!! I ended up pulling the battery and tray out to get the driver's side in.
I won't do that again by myself.....
Old 08-26-2006, 02:41 PM

I ahve done a front spring and shock R&R a few times now. Funny it only takes a few minutes now. first time, what a pain.

glad you like your shocks