3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Billet are laminated flex plate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soulezoo
For everyone that knows Phil... That right there is funny. Just downright too funny!!!

You know what, next time you talk to him, tell him how well my twins are spooling for me--- then watch him go out and break the d-max...
Yep I will do, we were talking about that the other night btw he said you just had more patients then he did . But thats phil for ya.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by John_P
I don't want to hurt anyones feelings here, but there is nothing wrong with ATS' or any other companies billet flex plate. IMHO, if you are doing ANY type of hard drag racing or very heavy towing you better have one in your truck.
I have been running ATS' Billet Flexplate in my trucks for the last five (5) years now and everyone here on DTR that knows me or my trucks knows how hard I run my trucks, especially my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve. That truck is putting down over 800 RWHP and 1600 ft.lbs. of TQ. and I have had absolutely NO PROBLEMS at all with that ATS Billet Flex Plate.

---------
John_P

Agreed. I did had a Suncoast FP but, had an issue and ended up with a ATS. Not one problem it after many boosted launches.

I had a long conversion with the guys at ATS at the Texas event. According to them... their plate does flex but very little. I know nothing about transmissions but they said that all flex plates move but, barely. The plate was call a fly wheel for a long time and some where a long the way picked up the name flex plate.

If you think about it... by adding the extra center on a laminated, it likely stiffens it up as tight as a billet but, you have welds that can break.

IMO, both are great products and both companies wouldn't have the rep they do if they sold crap.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:40 PM

I have an Aluminum Flexplate! REACTOR...designed just for my power.

I have had an ATS Flexplate...which does not flex much. It is as strong as it comes though...one piece billet steel with NO cutouts. You won't break it...
but shafts on the other hand... lol.

I wanted a little flex in my plate...so I went a different route the third time around. A little flex to absorbe some of the shock and huge oversized Opie shafts made of the best material out there was the answer for me to keep on rolling down the road.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:30 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CReed
Yep I will do, we were talking about that the other night btw he said you just had more patients then he did . But thats phil for ya.
Yeah it is Phil for ya... and I did get it all worked out and working great, with a little help and understanding of what was going on.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:35 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by cquestad
I have an Aluminum Flexplate! REACTOR...designed just for my power.
This was what I was trying to get across earlier. The advice I was given to go laminate was for my situation. Transmits less shock to the tranny, shafts take just a little less abuse, and I would not be making the power that would tear up a laminate... it just made more sense for me. That was it. Not bashing a billet at all... they obviously have their place or all the same builders that gave me that advice would not sell them; am I right?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:38 PM

LOL.....Phil.....hahaha
Old 01-16-2008, 05:41 PM

I have a new ats billit flex plate on the way. I found that with the laminate on the suncoast you almost have to sand a little off or the bolts start to loosen up,even with locktite. So after I did that bolts stayed tight but the welds broke in 3 spots afterwards 400mi later. In the process of trying to get it warrantied now. Besides I think with the ATS I can use all 12 bolts or whatever it is to go with my ATS convertor.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:54 PM

Did phil get rid of his dodge and get a dmax?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:34 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by elirandolph
Did phil get rid of his dodge and get a dmax?
He sure did
Old 01-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Banned

Yep he's a trator!!!!!! But still got soot running through his blood. He'll be back.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:22 AM

He sure did
Originally Posted by CReed
Yep he's a trator!!!!!! But still got soot running through his blood. He'll be back.
What happened? Did he get fed up with all of the problems he was having? I guess reliability somewhat goes away with twins meth inject and just straight up abuse!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:12 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by elirandolph
What happened? Did he get fed up with all of the problems he was having? I guess reliability somewhat goes away with twins meth inject and just straight up abuse!
yeah, he got fed up with all the problems. But I can guarantee, and yes I know first hand, that it wasn't from the twins!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the ATS billet... Its an absolute shame that it has to remain hidden because it's such a beautiful and shiny piece. If I were rich I'd have one mounted on my garage wall... maybe make a clock outta it...
Old 01-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by trik396
I've got the ATS billet... Its an absolute shame that it has to remain hidden because it's such a beautiful and shiny piece. If I were rich I'd have one mounted on my garage wall... maybe make a clock outta it...
-------------------------
trik:

You are right buddy, ATS's Billet Flexplate is a "work of art" as well as being darn TOUGH!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:36 AM

yeah, he got fed up with all the problems. But I can guarantee, and yes I know first hand, that it wasn't from the twins!
yeah but you just can't get rid of the horse power bug that easy. going from wild cummins to stock dmax just has to suck.

Quick Reply: Billet are laminated flex plate?