3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Billet are laminated flex plate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Billet are laminated flex plate?

Im having my trans done. Im putting a cv, vb, billet input and flexplate. I know what both are but im wondering if there are any pros or cons to each? also would a hts, suncoast have any problems matching to a ats billet flex plate? Thanks for any info
Old 01-16-2008, 07:41 AM

why not buy ats's tc, vc , and flex plate? i love my tc and vb. has real HARD firm shifts.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

From what I understand the Billet flex plates are a farce. If its Billet how does it flex? Try looking at the BD Flex plates they are much cheaper and can hold up to 1000 hp.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 AM
tcr

Look at Suncoast flexplates as well, cheap and no problems yet. I think any beefed up flexplate is a good choice if it's installed correctly and doesn't come loose.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:09 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tcr
Look at Suncoast flexplates as well, cheap and no problems yet. I think any beefed up flexplate is a good choice if it's installed correctly and doesn't come loose.
I have one and it has handled multiple 20psi boosted launches at the track with zero problems... of course, I'm not putting down something like Lloyd Mills either!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can do even better. Billet is too stiff and is not a "flex" plate which it needs to be. The laminated ones are two pieces welded together. You can buy an SFI approved thicker one piece flexplate for $160. That's what's in mine, and after I found out about them, John at Floor It did some research and that's pretty much all he's using now.

Performance Automotive and Transmission Center
2134-A East Texas street
Bossier City, Louisiana 71111
1-888-201-2066
Old 01-16-2008, 12:29 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by omaharam
You can do even better. Billet is too stiff and is not a "flex" plate which it needs to be. The laminated ones are two pieces welded together. You can buy an SFI approved thicker one piece flexplate for $160. That's what's in mine, and after I found out about them, John at Floor It did some research and that's pretty much all he's using now.

Performance Automotive and Transmission Center
2134-A East Texas street
Bossier City, Louisiana 71111
1-888-201-2066
That is interesting to know. But of course, before any blessings could truly be bestowed on this new animal, it would have to be tested and certified as "Phil proof"!!!

Of course this will go over the heads of many on this forum, but there are those of you that know exactly of what I am talking about
Old 01-16-2008, 01:32 PM
tcr

Poor Phil.............and the tranny jokes!! That's what I meant about "installed and installed TIGHT w/ thread-lock"!!

Seriously though the Suncoast flex-plates are two(stockplates) thickness and are laminated.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:58 PM

After a $10000 repair bill due to a broken flex plate that wiped out the crank seal housing, trans adapter housing, torque convertor, and finally the trans, I will never ever run anything less than billet. There are reports of the laminated ones failing, so it's your money, choose wisely.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:05 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by hilclmr2
After a $10000 repair bill due to a broken flex plate that wiped out the crank seal housing, trans adapter housing, torque convertor, and finally the trans, I will never ever run anything less than billet. There are reports of the laminated ones failing, so it's your money, choose wisely.
Seriously, before I got the laminated, I was leaning toward the billet and for a $100 difference on a $6k tranny, it wasn't about $$$. It was the threads about billets causing damage, just like you describe above, because they didn't "flex".

So I took the advice of the tranny "experts"... the guys actually building them, on what was best for me. That was what was best for me (repeated for reason)... not for anyone else.

With enough power and wrong parts, you can tear up anything... see my post earlier!!
Old 01-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Banned

Phil is hell on trannies he recently broke the trans. on an international bus he's been driving for the school and carrying other students around. .

My vote goes to laminated center reinforced!! Why do you think they call it a "flex" plate? Billet won't flex.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:14 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by CReed
Phil is hell on trannies he recently broke the trans. on an international bus he's been driving for the school and carrying other students around. .
Oh man, that is too much... I'll have to call him up and give him you know what on that!!

I'll bet a certain DTT guy is smiling now too... (sorry Phil, couldn't resist)
I'll also bet a certain Chevy dealer is nervously pacing waiting for a certain DMax to show up with a trashed Alli...
Old 01-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Banned

Nah he is still cruising around stock myself and several others have tried tempting him with the new llm ppe and even efi live and quad stealth but he wont bite. He has also torn up a jeep, dunebuggy, and ford tractor in the past few weeks along with the short bus, they better be glad it wasnt the big bus he was in that bill would have been huge. I guess hes taking out all his anger and frustration on everything but the dirtymax.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:21 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by CReed
Nah he is still cruising around stock myself and several others have tried tempting him with the new llm ppe and even efi live and quad stealth but he wont bite. He has also torn up a jeep, dunebuggy, and ford tractor in the past few weeks along with the short bus, they better be glad it wasnt the big bus he was in that bill would have been huge. I guess hes taking out all his anger and frustration on everything but the dirtymax.
For everyone that knows Phil... That right there is funny. Just downright too funny!!!

You know what, next time you talk to him, tell him how well my twins are spooling for me--- then watch him go out and break the d-max...
Old 01-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I don't want to hurt anyones feelings here, but there is nothing wrong with ATS' or any other companies billet flex plate. IMHO, if you are doing ANY type of hard drag racing or very heavy towing you better have one in your truck.
I have been running ATS' Billet Flexplate in my trucks for the last five (5) years now and everyone here on DTR that knows me or my trucks knows how hard I run my trucks, especially my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve. That truck is putting down over 800 RWHP and 1600 ft.lbs. of TQ. and I have had absolutely NO PROBLEMS at all with that ATS Billet Flex Plate.

---------
John_P

Quick Reply: Billet are laminated flex plate?