3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Bigger, more efficient Intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's actually called an after cooler. You would decrease your egts with a more effecient after cooler. Not sure who makes the best one or even how much better it would be than the stocker, but there is always room for improvement.

Kris
Old 04-30-2005, 10:15 AM

Can any of the smart guys here tell me if a bigger intercooler will reduce or increase the EGTs? I would think that it would cool the EGTs yet on the other hand you are condensing the air which will result in a more powerful air charge to the cylinder which should result in higher EGTs since more fuel is being burned...right? Please help me my head hurts.
More air in the cylinder creates more heat in a gasser, but in a diesel more fuel in the cylinder creates more heat and, thus, increases EGT. That said, if you run a more efficient intercooler (which is a perfectly applicable term, mind you) it would result in more air in the cylinder. I would think, then, that without putting more fuel into the cylinder the EGTs would actually drop, but then you're really missing out on the benefit of a more efficient intercooler that is more overall power.

I could out of my mind altogether, which wouldn't surprise me at all. Perhaps someone that has an aftermarket intercooler will chime in.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm no expert myself, but I'm told (by engineers that I trust) that the stock intercooler is very efficient to about 40 lbs of boost and really doesn't become much of a hindrance until you see 50 lbs regularly. The guys that are running twins should see pretty significant gains with going to a bigger, more efficient intercooler. If you stay at 50lbs or below, you will see a gain depending on how the new intercooler is built inside, but it will be minimal and probably not worth the cost. Have you priced an aftermarket intercooler lately? $700+. Ouch.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:10 AM
Tire Hater

One reason would be for us 05 guys with plastic endtanks that rupture at 40psi.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by gdh11
I am just trying to build the truck right a little at a time so when I have it all together it is setup correctly.
Sounds like you should've kept the 99...at least it had a clutch in it

Chris

BTW, clutch is going strong, still hard to shift, but I'm blaming that on the "nature of the beast." My engine, however, has had better days
Old 05-02-2005, 06:29 PM

Ck out Haisley Machine

Haisley has a 100psi intercooler advertised. Different prices for different years. '05s are the most expensive since you have to exchange what you have and let's face it,..'05s don't have much to exchange. No offense. Anyway the 100psi is miles ahead of the stockers which are rated at 30psi. Of course many of us push that to 40 daily so who knows. I don't have a Haisley and am not pushing them, but I've heard good things about their products. Maybe someone who has one will chime in. Ck 'em out at haisleymachine.com
Old 05-02-2005, 07:47 PM

1287 BUCKS! ouch.. I think I'll try and find a wrecked '03 for an intercooler without my crappy plastic sides.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:01 AM

Only thing is,...

Originally posted by thejeepdude

1287 BUCKS! ouch.. I think I'll try and find a wrecked '03 for an intercooler without my crappy plastic sides.
I don't know what a used Intercooler costs, but while your just comparing $$$'s then maybe you need to look at the original question on Intercoolers and like most things you get what you pay for. Compare 30psi rating with 100psi rating. Anyone know what the Banks unit runs and what it's specs are? I'm sure there are others also that someone knows about. At least it would be a compare more apples with apples.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:17 AM

I'm not one of the smart guys here But I have the 03 and it has plastic sides. Has any of you High HP guys Blown One Like the ones with TWINS? I havn't read anyone who has yet. OR there sig's don't say hp Incool
So I might Have a chance blowing mine?
Old 05-03-2005, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by pcburnout
I'm not one of the smart guys here But I have the 03 and it has plastic sides.
Whoa, I thought all 03's were metal... can someone explain what year ranges had metal sides?
Old 05-03-2005, 11:20 AM

if it was in an accident, the replacements now are plastic

soo, buy a good bumper and protect your full metal cooler
Old 05-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have an idea about putting an additional intercooler in the winch spot on my Road Armor bumper. There is a local company here that builds these for many companies all over North America and we just happen to know the owners.

I better get back to finishing the add a pod today.

See Scotty Run.

and trip.

Quick Reply: Bigger, more efficient Intercoolers