3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Big truck sound??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Big truck sound??

Finally heard back from "Al" at Flow Pro on the twister muffler. He said they advertise a "Diesel Power" complete replacement system on their web site, which is a 4" aluminized turbo back system that must be welded. For a little extra, they also offer a hangar and clamp kit for the do-it-yourselfer. This “Diesel Power” kit however, does NOT come with the twister muffler everyone is talking about. The muffler in this kit is the standard straight through design with the honeycomb looking grooves staggered throughout. It is available for the 2003 Dodge, but wouldn't give me the suggested retail price (or forgot to?).

He did say if you are interested in the 4" kit with the twister muffler, contact a local muffler shop that carries the brand and he would work it out when they call if they don’t already have the parts on hand. They currently only sell through authorized installers.

When asked about flow characteristics, he said the twister muffler flows aprox 692 CFM at 25". Anyone know what that means, the 25" part?

He's also aware the dealer locator page on the site isn't working. You can e-mail him using the contact info on the site but it will take a while to get back to you. His mufflers are very popular with the ricers, so almost every muffler shop carries the brand so just call around.

Hope that helps everyone. Now what did I do with the Yellow Pages ;D.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote author=AK RAM link=board=49;threadid=23579;start=30#msg227667 date=1072102389]
When asked about flow characteristics, he said the twister muffler flows aprox 692 CFM at 25". Anyone know what that means, the 25" part?[/quote]He's referring to pressure. 25 inches of mercury.

I don't know if 25" is an industry standard or not when doing comparisons.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All greek to me. I do, however, remember reading a post somewhere that the stock exhaust flowed at just over 300 CFM (like 325 or something).
Somewhere between 600 and 700 CFM is what I have seen posted for most aftermarket exhaust systems folks talk about in the forum.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:46 PM

I think i may have found something like you guys are looking at. Check out this link. http://www.dieselmanor.com/exhaust.asp
It is on the page it pulls up, and if youll scroll down a little it shows a better picture(says its a spiral design). They have good service too, as i've just bought a 5 inch stainless steel tip for my truck from them, but check it out;it has the same basic principal, but is a little different.
Eric
Old 01-29-2004, 08:45 PM

like rjordan said, let someone "steal" your muffler, mine was gone 2 days after i got mine, i especially like goin by people with their windows down
Old 02-01-2004, 02:42 AM

I believe the "@ 25" part is talking about inches of vacuum.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:00 PM

Well I let someone "steal" my muffler and OMG I wish I did it the day I bought the truck. Amazing how much of a difference it makes. More power better mileage and the sound oh the sound is awesome. I like loud though. When you get on the go pedal it really lights up, but when you're just cruising along it isn't bad at all. I highly recommend you try this before you spend the bucks on a muffler.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:41 PM

I agree with glowball- The 3rd gens just don't have all the engine noise, but when you cut the muffler off- replace with straight 4" and get rid of that big plastic noise dampener(7 inch big fat in-line black tube with the intake muffling inserts) and remove the silencer ring, it sounds like a big rig- (that is if you have a six speed- autos never will) My buddies love to hear my truck leave work, and if we go out to lunch through a tunnel or under a big overpass they roll down the windows and tell me to punch it. Sounds like a mack truck! Whistle is great- also without the muffler you get fast spool-up of the turbo-also quicker cool-down. I love it!
Old 02-01-2004, 09:02 PM

I have a 94 CTD complete with the orginal stock exhaust. Sounds good while the hoods up! Definitly have to get something done about this. Honestly, I have pulled alot of miles and alot of weight w/ this girl, and really have never felt that power was lacking(maybe because my last one was 7.3 Ford?!). I have seen here where some of ya'll have removed the silencer/ing ring. I think it's in the turbo housing. What is removing it suppossed to do for me? Why is it there to start with?
Exhaust - will I be better off upgrading to a 4" exhaust, or will I be happy just scrapping cat/muffler and going back w/ a straight through muffler, a twister, or just straight pipe? Sorry to some of guys - won't ever be stacks on mine!
Most opinions are appreciated!
Old 02-01-2004, 10:02 PM

I have a 4" Turbo back setup on my girls truck. The resonator, and muffler got the boot. That coupled with the AFE intake give a nice big rig sound and turbo whine. Her truck is louder than my 6" stacks at idle and around town. The only time the 6"ers blat louder is under acceleration. Her truck sounds nothing like the day we drove it off the lot.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:19 PM

The silencer ring is right at the inlet to the turbo and it does nearly nothing but direct the air. Do a search, there are photos and everything on an earlier post. It takes five mins to remove. It does quiet the turbo some. But with it in there it may act as a limiter to the volume of air at the entrance to the turbo and possibly causes the turbo to produce vacuum at the outer edges of the inlet blades. When I took it out I believe it changed nothing really but sound, but need gauges to prove it one way or the other. I like the sound better. I also found a nice piece of 5" ID .1" wall stainless steel tubing- so I put this in place of the intake plastic air muffler- that did make a difference both to low RPM spool-up and to sound both. The combo of the silencer and the stainless tubing really changed to turbo sound a lot though! I like it! I think I need to find a new cold air intake box and all because it may be measurable in mileage if not performance.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:52 PM

i've owned 1st - 2nd & 3rd gens, all straight piped ...
why pay for another muffler when the best performance is free?
the first two never recieved as many thumbs up as the 3rd gen ...
but it is definitely the loudest of the bunch...

03quaddually if you don't mind after your next road trip lay a hand on the stainless 5" i would have went that route but it looked like it would soak up heat being located right at the exhaust manifold the way it is ...

thanks
Old 02-06-2004, 07:33 PM

03quadduallyho, thanks for the lesson on the silening ring.
J
Old 02-14-2004, 06:26 PM

Just finished the installation of a Magnaflow muffler. I'm satisfied with the sound but it's not what I expected. It seems to have a deaper rumble, almost like a gasser. My neighbor has a 97 straight piped CTD and mine sounds nothing like his. Everybody knows when he leaves his driveway. His seems to have quite a bit more turbo whistle and sounds more like a "BIG RIG". I'm happy with the results and we'll see if it has any effect on mileage. I also made a small video clip to record the sound at idle and reved up to about 2000 RPM's. I can email upon request.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:13 PM

I like the sound of the DPP 4" that I installed this morning. It isn't nearly as loud as I had thought it would be from reading earlier posts, and I'm not sure I've heard the drone yet. But I haven't hooked the boat up yet either. In any event, its certainly better than my Mustang's 2000 rpm drone.

Thanks Mark! The only downside is that I'm having a hard time keeping my foot out of the throttle.

Quick Reply: Big truck sound??