3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Big horsepower guys, question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a thought for the day,, Ford has had a 80% failure rate on the 6 litre,, dodge is at 8%

Kevin
Old 10-09-2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by acook
Im not talking about runing over 600 every day, im talking breaking that mark and detuning it as much as possible for every day driving. Anyone have millage numbers and how long its been their?
I drive on the 500hp setting all the time, and hit 45lbs boost daily --- 61k miles and not looking back...

I say bombs away and drive it like you stole it
Old 10-09-2006, 09:22 PM

I started bombing my truck at maybe 30 k and I got 145 k on it now and I plan to keep it going for a long time...Yep, I blew the headgasket, dropped a valve, took out the flexplate, broke the intermediate shaft, minor in the scheme of things. All of these were easy fixes. If I knew about all the flaws and problems with running a modded truck with stock flexplate and stock valve springs, I might not have blown anything or maybe I would have blown more. No bottom end problems...NO: bent rods, burned up pistons, crapped out turbo, broken axles, stripped ring gears, fricked injectors, etc. All in all, everybit of repair or replace has been an improvement. If the engine does calve, I have two spares....It could be worse I could still own one of the 3 Dmax or pstroke I had the distinction of having. When I turn my truck down all the way now I'm still probably at 450hp as I can hit 50 plus psi in a heartbeat. Turn it up and 80+ psi and running moderately cool. ks
Old 10-10-2006, 02:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not talking about runing over 600 every day, im talking breaking that mark and detuning it as much as possible for every day driving. Anyone have millage numbers and how long its been their?

This was a really good question that I am glad you asked. My truck is my daily driver, occasional 5th wheel trailer tow vehicle, and now my hobby/play vehicle as well. Break downs and failure are really not an option for me. So I am doing some of my own soul searching on just how far I want to push my truck. Whatever I do, the supporting mods will be in place.....fuel supply, transmission upgrades, bigger turbo etc. And, I stay on top of my maintenance.

Right now im just running Air/Exhaust and a Smarty on level 5. It has plenty of gettiup as is and will roll some smoke now too.

But, how far do we go? All the way? 500hp? 550? 600? At what point does the daily dependable driver start to butt heads with the biggest, baddest, fastest, most powerful truck in the land?
Old 10-10-2006, 07:59 AM

I think there is a direct link with the trucks reliability and the right foot and the brain.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by morkable
Just a thought for the day,, Ford has had a 80% failure rate on the 6 litre,, dodge is at 8%

Kevin
Can you "validate" that information for me??
Old 10-10-2006, 08:46 AM

I was reading it on a truck site on the web,, I think that if you google it you will be able to find it. The 6 litre, was never designed to be an automotive diesel, it was a marine only engine, but chev and dodge were kicking fords butt so bad, they told navistar that they wanted that engine, navistar told ford that it wasnt ready but ford wanted it anyways,, and well they have paid the price ever since.

Kevin
Old 10-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those numbers seem way to high, 80%???? I think if it was really that bad their sales would be non existant.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:17 AM

Even though they suck that bad, there is still people that will buy them, just because they are fords,, brand loyalty is amazing. And by failure rate they mean warranty work, not all out failure

Kevin
Old 10-10-2006, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I truly believe that the 80% figure may be very close if not right on. I've talked to SO many ford 6.0 owners while waiting to pick up or drop off fema campers that have had various types of trouble with their engine, stuff you don't see that much of with dodge and chevy.

It may be unusual, but one fema employee was sitting in a very nice looking ford dually that turned out to be a fema truck. I complimented him on the looks of the truck, and he responded that it was the biggest POS he'd ever driven. Turns out, the truck has 30,000 miles on it. It's on the 3rd engine. Seems that both previous engines popped injectors and filled the crankcase with diesel before anybody noticed. The ensuing bottom end damage finished off the first two engines.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:19 AM

Well I am not in the 600wrhp range yet, but probably 550rwhp for over a year now. I have put around 34k on with most of the mods in my signature. This is my daily driver and at this moment my only vehicle. It has seen well over 150+ hard 4wd high boost launches over that time. I snapped the stock flexplate after about a year, knowing it needed replacing, blew the rear freeze plug a few weeks back and that is about all that has broken. I have my stack set to about 100hp for daily driving and I drive my age(I have become my father). I get around 14-14.5mpg all city and 18.5-19.5mpg highway at 75mph. I am sure that if I keep up with my need for speed I will break something else, but that is the nature of pushing limits.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by wheelndealn
That's what I was saying, you turn all your boxes down/off for daily driving and leave the power for the track. Buuuut, do you plan on breaking 600hp once and then leaving everything off for 70k? I don't think so, that is when things will break, when everything is at its limit.

I have never seen truck running 600+ using the same parts for more than 5k miles. I'm sure its possible but not probable. I have, and have built trucks with that much and more, these are my experiences.
You are mistaken about not being able to get 5000 or more miles out of a truck with 600+ HP. I run with 4 guys at 600 that have 50,000 and up. One tops out at 210,000 miles.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan Marino
You are mistaken about not being able to get 5000 or more miles out of a truck with 600+ HP. I run with 4 guys at 600 that have 50,000 and up. One tops out at 210,000 miles.
I meant most guys running over 600hp change turbos, injectors, modules, fuel systems, ect. They are in search for more power, so you cant say they had the same parts for 70k. You say they have 50k on the truck, sure, but how long has that 50k been at 600hp? I'm sure it is possible to run 70k with 600hp but you have to have very good self control.

I have never seen anyone spend $10,000+ on a truck to make it fast, and drive it slow.

I not everyone on this site I, my experiences.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wheelndealn
I meant most guys running over 600hp change turbos, injectors, modules, fuel systems, ect. They are in search for more power, so you cant say they had the same parts for 70k. You say they have 50k on the truck, sure, but how long has that 50k been at 600hp? I'm sure it is possible to run 70k with 600hp but you have to have very good self control.

I have never seen anyone spend $10,000+ on a truck to make it fast, and drive it slow.

I not everyone on this site I, my experiences.

Every see an old man drive a 80K vette? Most i see drive slow.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:11 PM

Every see an old man drive a 80K vette? Most i see drive slow.
Thats completely different than an a guy that buys a 40K truck and puts 20K into it. That guys is doing it to go fast. The old guy that buys the vette buys it because he likes driving a vette.

Quick Reply: Big horsepower guys, question?