3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Big horsepower guys, question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big horsepower guys, question?

How many miles are you guys seeing on your 600+ CR's without major problems, my brother and his other ford lovers are betting mine wont last over 70K if it makes it over 600HP, is this a valid statement? I know these trucks are a newer animal but any thoughts?
Old 10-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends what you call major. When you kick up HP that high you WILL break stuff. That is just the name of the game. You are not going to be easy on it, and things will break. I personally have never seen a truck drive 70k without having problems after being modified. Most guys that have high horse daily drivers turn down all the boxes and go, you leave the power for the track. If you have ever had anything with that kind of power, you will understand, you don't want to drive a toy like that everyday. It ends up as that just a TOY.

I would say don't count on it.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:18 PM

If you listen to ford guys bs then you are just letting them win. 600hp and 70k. The wish they got that far with a stock engine.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:23 PM

anything that comes out of a guys mouth that drives a powerjoke should come in your left ear, out your right ear.. just use some of it as humor
Old 10-09-2006, 03:25 PM

They are all full of it. I have one of thoes buddies and every time i tell him to race me he ALWAYS had some thing else to do. (i think he is just chicken)
Old 10-09-2006, 03:29 PM

one of my buddies has a 04 powerstroke, just got it about 8 weeks ago, truck has already been in the shop 2 weeks out of that time for leaks and other problems that shouldnt happen for over 100k miles AT LEAST! and yet, he still says his 6.0L would pull my truck down the street 45 mph in reverse, when i say lets hook em up, he says i dont have a trailer hitch... WOW!
Old 10-09-2006, 03:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nfsommer
one of my buddies has a 04 powerstroke, when i say lets hook em up, he says i dont have a trailer hitch... WOW!
Thats Furd for ya--a powerstroke with no hitch!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
you mean...trucks are made for towing???????
Old 10-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wheelndealn
It depends what you call major. When you kick up HP that high you WILL break stuff. That is just the name of the game. You are not going to be easy on it, and things will break. I personally have never seen a truck drive 70k without having problems after being modified. Most guys that have high horse daily drivers turn down all the boxes and go, you leave the power for the track. If you have ever had anything with that kind of power, you will understand, you don't want to drive a toy like that everyday. It ends up as that just a TOY.

I would say don't count on it.
Im not talking about runing over 600 every day, im talking breaking that mark and detuning it as much as possible for every day driving. Anyone have millage numbers and how long its been their?
Old 10-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Banned

You should easily be able to get 250k out of your engine if you turn the power down. That's the key to it. How do you think I managed to keep my stock tranny alive with this kinda power? I only ran around on maybe 300-350hp everday and only used the power I had when I needed it (which also turned into an every day event ). At that power level you would wear the truck out before the engine.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
That's funny right there, I don't care who you are! A diesel with no hitch? Come on...lay off the crack!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by acook
Im not talking about runing over 600 every day, im talking breaking that mark and detuning it as much as possible for every day driving. Anyone have millage numbers and how long its been their?
That's what I was saying, you turn all your boxes down/off for daily driving and leave the power for the track. Buuuut, do you plan on breaking 600hp once and then leaving everything off for 70k? I don't think so, that is when things will break, when everything is at its limit.

I have never seen truck running 600+ using the same parts for more than 5k miles. I'm sure its possible but not probable. I have, and have built trucks with that much and more, these are my experiences.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:54 PM

If it is built right...it will run forever. I have 105k on mine with OEM suds and the original head gasket!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:58 PM

BTW...there is no difference between turning the "boxes" down and not pushing the skinny pedal down as far.

It is impossible to put your truck under 100% duty cycle 100% of the time unless it just sits on a load dyno!
Old 10-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Chapter President

Well, I been at 500hp level now for about a year and 35,000mi. No problems whatsover. I'm now at the 600hp mark now for 2 months. I agree with the majority here, it all comes down to what you have to support the mods you've done.

Quick Reply: Big horsepower guys, question?