3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

BHAF or AFE

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BHAF or AFE

I have the oportunity to get either a stage 1 with torque tube or a stage 2 afe, or the BHAF.
Which one would be the best. Or should i combine them and do the BHAF with the torque tube.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:55 PM

i currently have the afe stage one with torque tube with the silencer ring removed
i love mine ... some might say it is to loud
my brother in law has the stage one with the torque tube with thw silencer ring still in...it sounds pretty good , but not as much whistle.. just a matter of taste
Old 04-14-2005, 05:14 AM

I went the BHAF route, using the stock plumbing. More turbo whistle than stock, but not too much. Honestly, I wouldnt want any more whistle than what I've got on long drives towing the 5er. I like the filtering ablilites of the paper elements.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:29 AM

BHAF vs AFE

Personally I would not use a gauze type filter AFE as the dirt stopping power is pretty minimal. AKRAM has a thread concerning his delimmas with AFE filters and fine Alaska dust. True your airflow is less restrictive, albiet dirtier. If you are going to use the stock air box I would recommend a foam Truflow filter, www.trueflow.com , and cut a 4 '' hole in the bottom of the air box. You can do some jury rigging and make a 4" duct to anywhere you wish. Having done this I have not drawn down my filter minder even under WOT except when the filter is very dirty. Prior to the modification I was drawning down the filter minder just running 70 mph. Good luck!

L8r,..............dogger
Old 04-14-2005, 06:37 AM

BHAF vs AFE

An additional thought would be look into the Cool Hose kit from along with the Scotty RA-III if you just wish to junk the stock air box, www.dieselpowerproducts.com. The foam filters have been running for years in SCORE desert races, Baja 1000, Barstow to Vegas, etc. with no filtration problems. JMHO

L8r,............Dave
Old 04-14-2005, 12:33 PM

Yes i definatly want to replace the whole system
Old 04-14-2005, 12:42 PM

You could make your own plumbing too, and spend the extra on beer to drink while installing it all. Myself, Hoss, and I suppose some others have made their own tube for about 1/2 what the AFE tube goes for. It makes more turbo noise, but not outlandish. I've still got my silencer ring in, and think it's just right. Towed an enclosed utility trailer 400 miles into a 30 mph headwind recently, and the extra noise wasn't bothersome at all.

http://xj.cdevco.net/auto/torquetube/
Old 04-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quadzilla intake with cool blue hose, I also like the Scotty 3 and the AFE intake
Old 04-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My vote is for a BHAF with a homemade torque tube (see my gallery). I don't have the BHAF yet because I have two stock air filters sitting in my garage that I don't want to waste, but it's on the way.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:34 PM

Had the AFE drop in with a modded air box and noticed that water was getting past the filter!! So in went a BHAF!!
Old 04-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Can anyone guess what I prefer or like?

All the intakes have their merits...pros and cons. Many reasons for choices.
Some choices are budget.
Some are fears induced by non practical air filtratin reports that are not even done with the filters for our trucks.
Some choices are Ebay bargain basement sales
Some choices are for a well thought out intake that matches what the person prefers and can afford.

I like the bhaf for its simplicity, I do not care for it at a certain level of power, nor do I like the experience of one when its soaked in water or snow. Still a good choice though.

Quality of the filter and its sealing abilities are important too.

Gases such as air flow better in a round environment, not a box. The box might fit the vehicle better though.

I could add a ton of other points to this.

Some folks prefer not to use paper, or cotton guaze or foam that needs oiling.

At least we have the choices. If we all drove Yugos and had the same air filter...it would be a sad sad world.

Time for my nap now.

Scotty
Old 04-14-2005, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never got a silicone level better than 12ppm on my oil analysis with the AFE PG7 filter in their mega cannon intake. I switched to a Donaldson BHAF and was getting 4ppm. I'm now back to a big AFE PG7 filter on my twins and am running it with a pre-filter in hopes that will help filtration a little. I'll know soon enough. If not acceptable, I'll figure out a way to fit another Donaldson BHAF into what little room I have left.

Scotty, do you know if Uni makes a foam filter that will fit onto a 4" piece of pipe like the AFE?
Old 04-14-2005, 05:42 PM

Well, cost isnt really a problem. I got a really good deal and the afe isnt much more that the BHAF. How does the BHAF perrform when its raining o rdamp. That paper would probably soak up a lot of water.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm sure they do. Maybe not as big around though. How long is the filter?

I will find out.

One thing I should mention is I have had two UNI single layer filters on my truck, exposed in the shaker for the past winter, taking in snow, rain, muck and lots of dust the past several weeks. I never had any adverse effects from the cold either.

My last oil results netted me 7ppm silicon. I expected it to be a lot higher after what I put them through. The filters for my kits are custom ordered with two layers of foam. Most are single. I can look into seeing if theres a way to do something similar to the bhaf in the UNI, two stage.

Scotty
Old 04-14-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My AFE filter is 8 or 9 inches tall, standard diameter for a 4" outlet, cone shaped (smaller on one end).

I put an Outerwear's water resistant pre-filter on my BHAF just for good measure and never had a problem with water. You can take the pre-filter off and wash it in the sink when it starts looking real dusty and it really keeps the filter looking new.

Quick Reply: BHAF or AFE