3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

BETA 4.4...OOooPs

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation BETA 4.4...OOooPs

I installed the 4.4 BETA this morning and thought it was just another SW version, after doing some reading tonight I know better now but I sure wish Bob would have sent some info to me with the BETA SW....

I installed SW3 thinking this was stock auto safe...I wasn't pushing too hard on her but did make a couple fast passes on the hiway this morning, while driving home tonight I noticed my rpm climb to 2000 rpm and hang there for what felt like forever while I was pulling away from an intersection, not hard just normal...So I put it back to Stock SW and took it back out onto the hiway and with normal acceleration it hung at 2000rpm right up to 55 before locking up???

Is this TC slip? Is my tranny pooched? I wanted a new tranny but this is a really bad time, I'm a long way from any dealership or shop (Ft.McMurray AB.) and can't leave the project I'm on for another 2 weeks...I'm kinda hoping I can limp it but I put over 300km a day to the site and back to my hotel...
Old 09-19-2007, 01:52 AM

Bob didn't say anything about running the 4.4 w/a stock trans? I find that very hard to believe. Bob has posted many, many times that the Beta should not be used with a stock tranny, and has also stated that anyone running the beta with a stocker should remove it immediately. It's very true the Beta program is no slouch. It is a handful of power on all levels.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Justice4all
Bob didn't say anything about running the 4.4 w/a stock trans? I find that very hard to believe. Bob has posted many, many times that the Beta should not be used with a stock tranny, and has also stated that anyone running the beta with a stocker should remove it immediately. It's very true the Beta program is no slouch. It is a handful of power on all levels.

Never asked me if I had an upgraded tranny, Never asked me nor sent me any thing other than the SW,...here's the entire content of the e-mail he sent me other than the attached BETA SW;

B***, Here is the software for your truck.

Thanks
Bob
The only other thing I've seen about the BETA SW was another thread about the 4.4 on another forum and how good it was, after I read it I sent Bob a PM with the year of my CTD and that I had the S-06 SMARTY, the next day I had the above e-mail from Bob with the BETA Software and nothing more... I wish I had done some more research before installing it but I just assumed it was the newest version of the software, installed it to my smarty then into the truck at SW3 just as I had the July 12 SW...

As far as Bob posting that the BETA shouldn't be used with a stock tranny,...Can you show me where, I can't find it,...but the point is moot, the internet is a big place, do you read every post on even just this one site,...I know I don't have time for that, usually I just skim through until something peaks my interest. There isn't enough hours in the day to read it all.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:03 AM

I just got it from Bob. Haven't loaded it on the truck yet. I'll have to be super careful with it then.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:33 AM

I am not sure where it is because there is so many smarty threads, but there was quite a discussion that the beta 4.4 should be used with caution after one of the members dyno'd and made huge power on sw1. I love it, but I did do my tranny in towing with it. Now I have to upgrade the tranny. Darn.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:05 AM

Guys any time you put that kind of power to a stock trans, What do you expect to happen
Old 09-19-2007, 06:39 AM

how is that glacier fuel system you have on your truck? I am thinking about gettin one for my truck. oh and semper Fi CWO3, USMC

06, QC 4x4, sb, smarty, banks high ram, banks intcooler, 5 inch flo pro TB no res, no sil ring, green cai.
SGT. USMC
Old 09-19-2007, 06:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's plenty of warnings on this forum about the beta 4.4. Like here...
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...light=beta+4.4
and here... https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...eta+4.4&page=6

MikeyB
Old 09-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Banned

Yeah I wouldn't go pointing the finger at Bob... Even the stock Sw can smoke a tranny... Essentially it's no one's fault but your own... I mean I can't blame the twin turbos, mp-8, smarty for eating my tranny...
Old 09-19-2007, 08:25 AM

What level should I run with the beta? I remember someone saying that level 1 is basically like level 9 with the stock sw. Is level 9 lower that level 1 with the beta?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by t-boe
What level should I run with the beta? I remember someone saying that level 1 is basically like level 9 with the stock sw. Is level 9 lower that level 1 with the beta?
I would run 1-3 if it was me... But I took mine out!!!lol!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by t-boe
i wouldnt run it on a stock tranny...speaking from experience...i didnt get any kind of heads up and i was running it before all these warning were coming out!

oh well. it makes good power up top and down low, but needs more supporting mods to really be enjoyed to its fullest potential

brett
Old 09-19-2007, 08:34 AM

Not to pile on, but you gotta do a search re: the 4.4 beta-
Conventional wisdoms says 60 HP increase for a little lengenivity (trying to spell that word that means 'if you want it to last for at least a llttle while') 90 HP increase for short periods. This is all predicated on a GOOD stock transmission. You'll get people who's transmission will get torn up with 60 hp, and people who can make a trans last with far far more (Hey, Shane!)
There is very little that is cheap in hot rodding. And you are always taking chances, it's just the nature of the beast.
Sorry to hear about the transmission, that's bad luck. I have seen some people here that have slipped a trans on the first few runs with a big hp increase, I've also heard that the Dodge trans won't 'blow up' at least, you might be able to baby it for a while, or maybe if you throw in a shift kit (to get more line pressure) or VB you might could stretch if for a couple weeks.
Good luck.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Banned

just for the record, i have never slipped my tranny when the tc is locked with the beta...instead my tc developed a terrible shudder...kinda like a real bad surging.

brett
Old 09-19-2007, 08:45 AM

I don't know about the warnings re: don't use 4.4 with a stock tranny, I don't recall those...I do recall Bob saying don't tow with 4.4 as the hp levels were too high. I'm kind of surprised he is still sending it out as I thought they were going to work on getting the hp levels in line. Anyway it will slip your TC when empty on level 1 if you get your foot in it. No doubt it has happened to you. Mine caused quite a shudder but I backed off immediately and it does not slip (can't notice it anyway) when set back to stock.

Quick Reply: BETA 4.4...OOooPs