3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

beta 4.2 or new TNT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm running the original CP3, and I run the TNT/R on level 9 and my TST on power level 4 and with a set of Flux 1 injectors, I hold 22.5k at WOT
Old 05-23-2008, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Billy Ram
The TNT softwares are intended for use with certain modifications. If you don't have upgraded cp3s and turbos you may not be able to use the upper settings and need to throttle back. I would think someone would be able to use TNT on a truck with stock cp3 and injectors with some of the intermediate settings but the tranny would need to be up graded.
I'm running a early stage I cp3 with only 90 hp injectors and can run the highest settings while maintaining 22-24K at the rail. I do keep 25psi feeding the cp3. It takes some tuning but I think TNT can come very close to the beta 4.X softwares. The upper settings may be too much for a stock cp3.

100% agree...i'm sure TnT is fabulous if used with the appropriate mods (CP3, Injectors, Turbo,...)....but to a large extent, it needs these mods much more than the beta's did...so it's not that there's anything wrong with TnT...far from it...i think it hit it's purpose for BIG POWER as is evdinced by the numbers it's produced and the positive feedback it's gotten from the heavily modded big boys...i just think the audience is a lot more narrow than that of the beta's 4.2-4.4 was...because of TnT's need for extensive mods to utilize it to it's full potential.

"If you don't have upgraded cp3s and turbos you may not be able to use the upper settings and need to throttle back. I would think someone would be able to use TNT on a truck with stock cp3 and injectors with some of the intermediate settings but the tranny would need to be up graded."

That's me exactly...have the upgraded trans and fuel pump...but stock cp3 / turbo / injectors...and i can't support level 7 or 9 and if i "throttled back"...the peformance is less than that currently offered by beta 4.2-4.4 on level 7 or 9...which my current mods can and have supported since the first version of 4.4....i need to get the additional mods and try them 1 at a time to determine what is the majical mod that makes the TnT the end all....or if all 3 (cp3, turbo, injector) are needed....saving $'s as we speak....
Old 05-23-2008, 12:43 AM

So posts #12 and #16....stock cp3, but aftermarket injectors...and no issue maintaining rp on level 9....maybe we're on to something.... either of you have aftermarket turbo's?
Old 05-23-2008, 07:17 AM

I can run level 9 rp 4 with no issues. I can hold 22500+ at wot. I think the turbo makes a big difference. I can tell I'm at the border, if I get injectors I will have the mod the cp3 also but right now it runs better than the 4.2 and my mileage is even better so I'm not changing injectors or anything until I need to or I get a heck of a deal I can't pass up.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by jgiachino
So posts #12 and #16....stock cp3, but aftermarket injectors...and no issue maintaining rp on level 9....maybe we're on to something.... either of you have aftermarket turbo's?
I have twins.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Banned

I've got twins.

but the CP3 and the ECM don't know that...
Old 05-23-2008, 11:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck now prefers 4.2 even over the 4.4 thanks to TCR! I totally agree that the TNT is more mod specific to get high gains, and many trucks act differently to mods. The revo confuses alot of ppl because many don't know where to start, some ppl didn't even want the adjustability, they like the simplicity of having the certain program at tap. I know this is for the better, but it leaves some ppl confused at what they're doing. I'm not bashing, just stating that this could be a reason for some ppls misfortunes with the TNT.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:40 AM

4.2 vs 4.4

Originally Posted by rip 112
My truck now prefers 4.2 even over the 4.4 thanks to TCR! I totally agree that the TNT is more mod specific to get high gains, and many trucks act differently to mods. The revo confuses alot of ppl because many don't know where to start, some ppl didn't even want the adjustability, they like the simplicity of having the certain program at tap. I know this is for the better, but it leaves some ppl confused at what they're doing. I'm not bashing, just stating that this could be a reason for some ppls misfortunes with the TNT.
Many think because the 4.4 is a later release that it is a stronger performer than a 4.2. That's NOT true. I've read many posts by Bob and even Marco commented on this a few times. The 4.2 is a bunch stronger. I felt for a really great daily driver performer the 4.2 was hard to beat,.. but couldn't keep my hands off the TNT. Power is my weakness.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:16 AM

So whats the opionions of you modded guys about the power difference or 4.2 to the revo tnt? I did 681 with the 4.2 and have been gone the last few weeks with no internet to keep up with it so am concious about switching to the revo fearing that I cann't go back to the beta's or should I not worry and do it.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by RamNu2
So whats the opionions of you modded guys about the power difference or 4.2 to the revo tnt? I did 681 with the 4.2 and have been gone the last few weeks with no internet to keep up with it so am concious about switching to the revo fearing that I cann't go back to the beta's or should I not worry and do it.
As long as you have the beta saved on your computer you can go back. I have gone back and forth between 4.2 and tnt/r. You have more air than me and I have no issues with the tnt/r so it should work great on your truck. It is stronger than the 4.2 Put it on tm 4,default timing,rp 4, wastegate off and you'll love it. Rp 4 is like the 4.2, it idles at 9k and ramps up quick
Old 05-24-2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by RamNu2
With your mod's, TnT is a no brainer...give it a whirl...06's are safe to go back and forth between 4.2 and TnT...
Old 05-24-2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by rip 112
Curious as to what made you now prefer 4.2? I personally like 4.2's agressiveness...but it doesnt get a long with my trans (holds shifts to 2200rpm at light throttle)...so i use 4.4....

Agree the adjustability add a lot more variability compared to just loading a program...but it's not that hard to test out different settings....for instance, in my quest to replicate 4.4.... i tried a ton of diff options, but logically, based upon what i know with 4.4...i focused around

Level 7
Tq Mgmt: 3 (4 if targeting 4.2)
Timing: 2 (aftermarket inj timing...marco stated that's what 4.2-4.4 uses)
RP: 3 (need to try 4, as 3 isnt in the same league as beta 4.x)...i think this may be my missing ingreedient
WG=Off

I'm gonna give rp4 a try today and see if that get's the throttle response / partial throttle behaviou similiar to 4.4
Old 05-24-2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by jgiachino
Curious as to what made you now prefer 4.2? I personally like 4.2's agressiveness...but it doesnt get a long with my trans (holds shifts to 2200rpm at light throttle)...so i use 4.4....

Agree the adjustability add a lot more variability compared to just loading a program...but it's not that hard to test out different settings....for instance, in my quest to replicate 4.4.... i tried a ton of diff options, but logically, based upon what i know with 4.4...i focused around

Level 7
Tq Mgmt: 3 (4 if targeting 4.2)
Timing: 2 (aftermarket inj timing...marco stated that's what 4.2-4.4 uses)
RP: 3 (need to try 4, as 3 isnt in the same league as beta 4.x)...i think this may be my missing ingreedient
WG=Off

I'm gonna give rp4 a try today and see if that get's the throttle response / partial throttle behaviou similiar to 4.4
Well mainly I like the 4.2 better because it spools quicker, and on sw5 I'm seeing an increase in mileage. It feels quite abit stronger, and when pulling so far I'm seeing lower drive egts. The only thing right now that has me considering requesting the 4.3 is the timing rattle and I have a rough idle at startup, but other than that it runs really nice. Gotta get that rp gauge in pronto!
Old 05-24-2008, 12:55 PM

RP's definately a little higher with 4.2-4.4....on 4.4 i'm at 9k idle, 17-19k cruise, 25k wot....she sure spools great....

Loading TnT right now to test Level 7, Tq M 3, RP 4, Timing 2, WG off....we'll see what she does....hopefully RP4 = Beta like spool and response...
Old 05-24-2008, 01:07 PM

Let me know if it does, but I'm not so sure it will...

Quick Reply: beta 4.2 or new TNT?