3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

beta 4.2 or new TNT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beta 4.2 or new TNT?

I have the 4.2 but hear alot about the TNT. If I download the TNT can I go back to the 4.2 and does the TNT smoke more?? I have the s06 smarty for my 2003.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:19 PM

I don't think 03-04 can go backward, but could be wrong....i'd stick with 4.2...TnT is very powerfull, but to utilize it to it's full potential you need quite a few mods (mod cp3, injectors, turbo,...)
Old 05-21-2008, 08:08 PM

TNT will duplicate the beta 4.Xs. With the adjustability of TNT there's no need to go back to the betas.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Billy Ram
TNT will duplicate the beta 4.Xs. With the adjustability of TNT there's no need to go back to the betas.
For somone making 600hp...i dont disagree...but with fewer mods, it's not the same...i couldnt get it to replicate 4.x on my truck at all...tried Revo, TnT(4.12 and current), TnTr (5.3 and current)...the whole lot of em....lots of diff settings...couldnt get the magic of 4.4 to occur...i think i need a cp3 mod (more fuel) and a bigger turbo (more air) to get the full magic of TnT...had plenty of mid to top end, but i drive lots of city and want / need low end punch / power / turbo spool...that 4.4 provides in spades....i'm looking at some additional mods in hopes of being able to utilize the full power of tnt (see sig for next on list)...but for my current mods, 4.4 all the way.

Also from the TnT download page....and i agree with it based upon my experience

--On the higher settings a stock engine can NOT take full advantage of it
because the fuel and air supply from the stock parts are simply not enough.
Aftermaket, turbo, injectors, lift pump, injection pump, automatic transmission AT LEAST are required!--
Old 05-22-2008, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by jgiachino
For somone making 600hp...i dont disagree...but with fewer mods, it's not the same...i couldnt get it to replicate 4.x on my truck at all...tried Revo, TnT(4.12 and current), TnTr (5.3 and current)...the whole lot of em....lots of diff settings...couldnt get the magic of 4.4 to occur...i think i need a cp3 mod (more fuel) and a bigger turbo (more air) to get the full magic of TnT...had plenty of mid to top end, but i drive lots of city and want / need low end punch / power / turbo spool...that 4.4 provides in spades....i'm looking at some additional mods in hopes of being able to utilize the full power of tnt (see sig for next on list)...but for my current mods, 4.4 all the way.

Aftermaket, turbo, injectors, lift pump, injection pump, automatic transmission AT LEAST are required!--
I completely agree I had 4.4 went to TNT and wasnt as thrilled, the 4.4 had more low end 8 more PSI in the boost and a better daily driver.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:32 AM

4.2 or TNT

Originally Posted by modified03
I have the 4.2 but hear alot about the TNT. If I download the TNT can I go back to the 4.2 and does the TNT smoke more?? I have the s06 smarty for my 2003.
This is not meant to be offensive,.. but you will need a lot more mods to realize the full affect of even the 4.2 much less the TNT. It appears you are building your truck from the top down rather than from the bottom up. A sound foundation is the only way to build anything. The 4.2 modded properly will give you mid 600s easily. It takes a lot of support mods to do it however and to protect the integrity of the truck so you can maintain the durability of the truck. Hope that helps.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:39 AM
tcr

I agree 100%, although I'm stuck on the 4.2. We can go back and forth though to and from the TNTs. Just use the different USBs.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:43 AM

And for the record, i'm not TnT Bashing...I'm just trying to give honest feedback based upon my experiences...so that us moderately bombed guys don't get the wrong impression that our trucks can handle the full race TnT as well as they can the beta 4.x's.....for the big boys, i'm sure it rocks, and i'm attempting to join the club (just need to steal from the kids college fund! :-)...but w/o Turbo/CP3/Injectors...it's not an improvement or even equal to beta 4.x's for all around drivability / power.

Marco and Bob deserve all the credit in the world for all the work that's gone into TnT, and i hope it breaks all records and continues the path of Smarty domination....the smarty is the best single mod for any CTD...period.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:40 AM
tcr

I'm not sure if this is bashing or not, but the 03-04 people need to be careful when switching to the TNT if they don't save their old programs that worked. I have shifting/fueling issues on all levels including #1(100hp). Some would think I have a problem w/ my truck, but why does the 200+hp 4.2,4.3, and 4.4 work so well w/ no issues?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:59 AM

....the smarty is the best single mod for any CTD...period.
Are you sure? I almost agree, but without a properly built tranny, you can't use Smarty safely...For me, I think a built tranny is the best single mod. Smarty being second.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:39 PM

The TNT softwares are intended for use with certain modifications. If you don't have upgraded cp3s and turbos you may not be able to use the upper settings and need to throttle back. I would think someone would be able to use TNT on a truck with stock cp3 and injectors with some of the intermediate settings but the tranny would need to be up graded.
I'm running a early stage I cp3 with only 90 hp injectors and can run the highest settings while maintaining 22-24K at the rail. I do keep 25psi feeding the cp3. It takes some tuning but I think TNT can come very close to the beta 4.X softwares. The upper settings may be too much for a stock cp3.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:48 PM

I am running stock CP3 TNT sw9 and at WOT I maintain RP of 22-24
Old 05-22-2008, 12:50 PM
tcr

Originally Posted by DirtEater
Are you sure? I almost agree, but without a properly built tranny, you can't use Smarty safely...For me, I think a built tranny is the best single mod. Smarty being second.
I would have to add common sense in there, a Smarty and some common sense is the best single mod for a CTD. Too many dummies out there running level 9 on stock trucks, that's the only problem w/ a Smarty.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:24 PM

True dat. SW 3 is safe, SW5 possibly, if you're not heavy-footed all the time, but anything above that and you're asking for trouble. But some people like trouble, so have at it!
Old 05-23-2008, 12:23 AM

Agree with the above...so i'll clarify:

Smarty is the best single mod for a CTD if
1. You have common Sense or
2. You have enough $'s to eliminate the need for common sense

And agree with the trans comment....it's right up there....but at $700 vs. $5k....there's no comparison with bang for the buck!

Quick Reply: beta 4.2 or new TNT?