3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Best way to kill drone from the Donaldson?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ram1driver
Frankly, I am not satisfied with the 51" Donaldson(9"dia.). I really thought it would be a lot quieter. It takes up almost all of the available room and I can't fit a resonator ahead of it.

I wonder if there is someone out there that would like to PM me and sell me their old stock exhaust system. I'll sell the 5" system and I also have the Hushpro to go with it. I might even trade them out for the complete stock sytem. Anyone out there let me know.
IMHO I think you would be way ahead if you swapped out you 9” for the M100580. From the Donaldson web site the M090535 has 12-17 dBa attenuation where the M100580 has 19-25 dBa attenuation. That is about half the volume. The M090535 is rated as a “off road” application, where the M100580 “MEETS 88 NOISE REQUIREMENTS”.

https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/W...?section=10210

I can honestly say my truck sounds like stock. The only time I notice my exhaust is with the EB on or if I drove by a wall with the window down and accelerating hard, in both cases I could carry on a normal conversation without raising my voice.

Joe
Old 08-07-2009, 09:31 AM

Thanks. Man, I really thought that the one I bought would work. I really spent time on the posts before I bought. It's just a big disappointment.
My hushpro had drone under load and around 1500 rpm.

This 90535 just drones all the way on moderate acceleration up to 70.
I wasted 100 bucks.

I'll take a look at this model. You sound like you got a good understanding of decible rating. I don't want any loud hum in my truck cab at all.
So, if I understand right, you have a quiet cab? I've got to get it right this time. Further comments would inspire more confidence to but it.
Have you towed using that muffler?
Old 08-07-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ram1driver
Thanks. Man, I really thought that the one I bought would work. I really spent time on the posts before I bought. It's just a big disappointment.
My hushpro had drone under load and around 1500 rpm.

This 90535 just drones all the way on moderate acceleration up to 70.
I wasted 100 bucks.

I'll take a look at this model. You sound like you got a good understanding of decible rating. I don't want any loud hum in my truck cab at all.
So, if I understand right, you have a quiet cab? I've got to get it right this time. Further comments would inspire more confidence to but it.
Have you towed using that muffler?

My wife gets headaches very easy, I had a different “muffler” on the truck and it had a drone so bad towing that she would not ride with me until I fixed it. To tell you the truth, I think it even got quieter after the M100580 had been on for a month or 2.

I tow very heavy every weekend, it is a 53ft race car hauler, I go across the scales @ 28,000. (yes, I have a CDL) When I am towing by myself, I will turn the radio off and roll down the window, just so I can hear my truck, because I can’t with the window up.

Joe

PS

FWIW

Here is a patent app that explains how (reactive silencing) the M100580 muffles across the entire freq range.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=2kg...uffler&f=false
Old 08-07-2009, 03:40 PM

this unit has an attenuation of 25-35 dba donaldson M100464 very pricey though like $325 online
Old 08-07-2009, 03:46 PM

You may want to rethink the "quiet" option. I learned my lesson the hard way with the "quiet" option. Here is my HP graph to show it. The reduced sound wasn't worth the loss in HP and TQ and the gain in EGT I received. I had to put the M090535 back on. I foget the part number of the other Donaldson "quiet" muffler though. There really wasn't much of a difference in sound anyway or at least we couldn't tell towing or empty.
Name:  BADonaldson.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  65.0 KB
Old 08-07-2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by staarma
You may want to rethink the "quiet" option. I learned my lesson the hard way with the "quiet" option. Here is my HP graph to show it. The reduced sound wasn't worth the loss in HP and TQ and the gain in EGT I received. I had to put the M090535 back on. I foget the part number of the other Donaldson "quiet" muffler though. There really wasn't much of a difference in sound anyway or at least we couldn't tell towing or empty.
Staarma

I sure you are correct, but neither Ram1driver or myself have any mods to speak of, plus it looks like we both have the little 03-04 turbo. I can tow all day long and the highest EGT I have ever seen was 1350 going thru Colorado. If I had the mods you do, I probably would not recommend it to someone, but since Ram1driver truck and mine are almost the same that’s why I spoke up.

Joe
Old 08-07-2009, 04:28 PM

I to have the 51 DOnaldson and have no drone... I had the silverline straight thru prior and it was load and the drone hurt any fillings you had in your mouth..

I made sure to use all the rubber stock hanger mounts that I could so there are no solid connections from exhaust to the vehicle other than the connection at the turbo.. I think the rubber isolating the vibrations may be a big part in not having the drone..?

Are the users that are having drone using the donaldson using the rubber portion of the stock hangers?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by sr4440
Staarma

I sure you are correct, but neither Ram1driver or myself have any mods to speak of, plus it looks like we both have the little 03-04 turbo. I can tow all day long and the highest EGT I have ever seen was 1350 going thru Colorado. If I had the mods you do, I probably would not recommend it to someone, but since Ram1driver truck and mine are almost the same that’s why I spoke up.

Joe
You probably have a very good point. Even the quiet Donaldson will flow more than the stock muffler.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:37 PM

sr4440 and staarma first of all thanks so much for your replies.

First on my list is peace of mind/quiet in the cab of the truck. I bought this truck with the performance exhaust on it. My experience tells me the drone gets louder and wears more on me as the miles and road hours pile up. The Cummins in stock mode has more than enough power to pull my 5000# travel trailer all over the west. I would rather lose horsepower.

sr4440-I looked at the Donaldson site and after reviewing the information ordered the 100580. Right now I feel like I'm snake bit but I have to try
something. I can drop out the 90535 and just pop the 100580 in with the stainless lap clamps. I called a Midas shop and they wanted 1700 dollars to replace my exhaust with an OEM set up(they are nuts). Another shop didn't return my call. A local muffler shop here (been in business for 25 years) gave me advice but won't even touch any exhaust on diesels. What you have told me is my best shot (cheapest and fastest) to fix my noise problem. All I know is I can't stand the noise. I used to be able to hear my Godzilla intake whistling easily before putting in the 90535 but not any more. I even had tack welded solid square bar on piping as one poster suggested. It did nothing. All my hangers have rubber insulators and the exhaust system is not touching any place on the truck. I have the inlet arrow side of muffler towards the front of the truck. The only thing I haven't done yet is shake
a chicken foot and say the magic words abracadabra to get a quiet muffler.

Bottom line, fingers crossed, I hope this 100580 is it. I ordered it from
Ryder fleet products. I will post my findings.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2009, 09:17 PM

Just take the muffler off. No more drone from it
Old 08-08-2009, 09:10 AM

Glad to hear others' responses. If I can find the time next week, I'm going to reinstall the muffler as far back on the truck as possible. At this point, I'm fairly convinced that the majority of the drone is caused from being mounted to far forward. And, if it doesn't work, at least I'll have room to try a resonator.

Ram1driver, keep us posted on how the new muffler works. I'd rather not spend too much more but my truck is almost unbearable as it is now.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:40 PM

Well SR440 nailed my problem. Thanks a bunch SR440!

The Donaldson 100580 (5" inlet,5"outlet) 51"long overall is great!

Efil4 this just might be the muffler you want. The difference between the 90535 and the 100580 is-- 1"diameter larger muffler and inside there is a deep
cone in the inlet end. The cone is closed and only way exhaust passes through is a lot of small holes in the cone. On that 90535 I bought it was straight through exhaust pretty much.

The 100580 is WAY quieter. On acceleration, I would have to say drone is eliminated. There is a small amount of exhaust note but very muffled. I can
talk in the cab again, yea. I took it out on interstate and all I could hear was
my tires on the road when cruising. It was the same at 60,65, 70mph.

I haven't hooked up my camper and I probably won't get a chance for 6 weeks but I think I'll be fine.

I'm happy now. I think SR4440 is right, after a couple of months it might even get a little quieter from sooting up but it can't get much better than it is.

It took me 2 tries but it good now.

Now I don't know what to do with the Donaldson 90535 it's brand new. If somebody wants it or the Hushpro they can PM me.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
I just installed an additional muffler to get rid of my drone even though it wasn't really that bad with just the stock muffler from a 6.7l truck. That 24" BullyDog muffler got rid of the drone 100%. The trick is to put the additional muffler or resonator as close to the downpipe as possible.....
I did the same thing. I have been through too many mufflers. AFE no drone but horrible sound, Aero great sound but way too much drone. I ended up with two Magnaflow mufflers. The first is where you would have the CAT mounted if you had one and the second is in the stock location or a few inches further back. No drone and sounds good.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:02 PM

Ram1driver

Glad it solved your problem.

Take care
Joe
Old 08-12-2009, 06:20 PM

Ram1driver

The M100465 5" in/out and 51" length is also setup the similar internally with the baffles and is what I installed. Donaldson had a PDF that talked about the mufflers and stated the M100580 was 4.5-7.5dB quieter than the M100465.

Donaldson stated the M100465 is the most common and popular muffler in the industry. I have been very happy with the tone..

Quick Reply: Best way to kill drone from the Donaldson?