3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

best value monitor,tuner

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best value monitor,tuner

What is the best bang for the buck on a tuner that will read all the engine parameters, rail pressure, fuel pressure, etc keep track of codes and basically let me know what the heck the engine has going on. Just had my truck lay down on me and I don't know why when I get it back I'm looking to have something to help me keep an eye on it. I would appreciate a little info from people who have been there before
Old 11-08-2011, 10:01 PM

you're kinda opening a can of worms with this question, I like my bullydog with outlook monitor. It may not produce the most power but does everything else you want.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 PM

I would be lying if I said I wouldn't want more power. Most important I want to forsee a problem coming I spend a lot of time in some pretty in the middle of nowhere places and don't want to have a no start issue. Does the bully dog look at fuel rail and read codes?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Predator has been good for what it cost. It will read and clear codes but my early 03 doesn't even have a lot of data available so there's no way to see everything. Your 04 might have more data there. I had no-power problems earlier this year and I was afraid it might have been from the Predator. Diablo told me they put safeguards up the yingyang into the Predator so it can't damage the ecm. Turned out to be the apps and it was really nice to be able to clear codes and see which ones came back. Craig
Old 11-09-2011, 08:07 PM

Good info, I'm starting to wonder how much data I would be able to see my 05 went down Sunday and the check engine light never even came on!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:00 PM

The bullydog does read rail pressure and your codes with the outlook monitor,
but there are other tuners that might offer more power. I would buy another bullydog.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:54 AM

Not bad practice to buy stand alone gauges and then having a programmer as well.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 PM

I use the Quadzilla Adrenaline and Pulse monitor in my 07. I think the monitor is updated now to a newer upgraded style. I have two screens that I can switch up to 4 perameters each out of 27 user defined choices.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:01 AM

Check out scan gauge. It works on any truck and it is around 100 bucks. It will not do any programming but it will let you use any programmer you want, like a smarty. It is a stand alone system and lets you see up to four items at once. With two you can read up to eight items at once.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 AM

The 06 and newer trucks are easy to get their OBD stream on a monitor. The older trucks not so much. You may be asking for more than what is possible with any monitor.

You may have to get two things, one that does HP and one that does the monitor. Smarty would be the obvious choice for a HP adder and the monitor is wide open high end to just gauges. I have a combo of three. I have gauges, an Attitude and a Smarty. lol It works but is a lot to work with and watch.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:06 PM

Well after talking to and reading quite a bit I keep hearing that there's not all that much you can tap into for info. I have boost pyro and trans now most monitors are showing that . I am looking for rail pressure and something to read most of the codes or info that would turn into codes like why my truck wouldn't start not, not knowing the injectors were toast! I guess I'm hoping to have a little warning to things like that?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:10 PM

check out edge insight cts. does everything that you mentioned your asking for. Id go with smarty or smarty jr for power. have had mine for 100,000 miles now and not one problem from it. the edge will give you engine codes, rail pressure, and the normal 3 plus lots of other options. can even do add on sensors such as boost over 43 psi and true trans temp and so on.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:12 AM

Once again I will remind everyone that not all 96 and newer vehicles with OBD2 will show the same data. The 06-current Ram will show lots of info that the older ones won't. Just be careful to check and make sure you're getting what you think you're getting when you buy something.

I currently have a rail pressure gauge and it works fine. That's about the only route you can go as far as "watching" rail pressure on your year of truck. The 06 and newer you can get the rp through the obd2 port.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My quad box reads rail pressure. As far as a tuner, get a Smarty Jr.

By the way, the only way to get my Quad box or Smarty away from me is to pry them from my cold dead hands......
Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
My quad box reads rail pressure. As far as a tuner, get a Smarty Jr.

By the way, the only way to get my Quad box or Smarty away from me is to pry them from my cold dead hands......
You should probably clarify though and let him know he has to physically "hook up" the rail pressure function in order for the Quad box, or any other for that matter, to work. It will not just get it from the OBD stream unless things have magically changed.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Quick Reply: best value monitor,tuner