3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Best turbo for daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am happy with HTT especially the large Wastegate and ss design. Thats's just from experiencing it, I haven't tried any others.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rip 112
I am happy with HTT especially the large Wastegate and ss design. thta's just from experienceing it, I haven't tried any others.

The S/S housing is a nice option for those looking for the dressed up look. The Super B is available in a polished option as well.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dave@BD Power
The S/S housing is a nice option for those looking for the dressed up look. The Super B is available in a polished option as well.

LOL dave is on the ball with responses today, is that polished option much more? The member price is that for being a member on this site or? sorry about that question, just in the dark there!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

I monitor about ten forums and like to help first then sell, I am new on this forum and apologies for busting out of the gate. For those of you that know me from other sites will know I am here mostly to help. I am always on the ball and never hard to find, even if it is a customer service issues LOL

Member Pricing is available for Members of this forum, usually I will refer you to a distributor in your area that will honor a 10% discount or offer free shipping.

$50.00 for the polished option.

Gotta keep the distributors happy too.

Its home time on the Left Coast so if you have any Q's they will have to wait till AM.

Have a great night guys!
Old 08-26-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It really depends on what you do with the truck. It is a give and take type situation with turbo's. I didn't see in any of the post if your truck is an auto or a manual. That will make a big difference. How much weight if you tow, how often, what size tires, gears etc. If you get it wrong it is going to cost you with unhappyness or a doover. Twins are best for driveablity if you have the coin, but a good single will work also.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 AM

Here is my 2 cents on the Super B "Remember what works on one truck set up may not on another"

We do not like to compare compressor sizes and housing sizes here, its misleading. It does not tell you a everything that whould be accoutned for. We have taken the time to engineer the Super B with the widest efficiency range possible which takes the guess work out for the end user. There may be some turbos that spool up a bit faster and there may be a few the run a little cooler on the top end but the Super B will give you the best balance of both. It will work equally good with a stock motor right up to 450-500HP. If you plan to exceed the 500HP mark it can easily be upgradable to twins making it the most versiltile kit on the market. If anyone of you have seen the fit and finish of our twins, I am sure you will agree some care went into the design?

If you read our website the Super B Single is rated for 425HP which is it max efficiency range at 40PSI. If you look at my sig I am about 450-460HP using this the Super B. I have the wastegate adjusted to 45PSI and the truck runs great with EGT's never exceeded 1200. The spool up time is awesome and no surge issues!

Dave it sounds to me that the super b is a good all around turbo [great balance as you said] but is designed to always be a twin never just a great single. I'm green to the diesel world so please dont take any offense to my comment. Just trying to learn.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:21 AM
D45

Originally Posted by Spooler
It really depends on what you do with the truck. It is a give and take type situation with turbo's. I didn't see in any of the post if your truck is an auto or a manual. That will make a big difference. How much weight if you tow, how often, what size tires, gears etc. If you get it wrong it is going to cost you with unhappyness or a doover. Twins are best for driveablity if you have the coin, but a good single will work also.
Auto trans, 4.10s, LT315s

Tow a deep-v Lake Michigan fishing boat about 2-3 times per month, if that.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tennessee
Dave it sounds to me that the super b is a good all around turbo [great balance as you said] but is designed to always be a twin never just a great single. I'm green to the diesel world so please dont take any offense to my comment. Just trying to learn.
No offense taken... your comments are very welcome... the purpose of the single was not for a twin set-up though. Like you said, it was designed as an all round turbo that could be adapted into a twin kit later.

The Super B Single was designed with 65-70% of the market in mind, the every day drivers-tow rigs-weekend warriors producing 300-450HP, usually a 60-130HP chip and/or injectors. Test results showed it was the best configuration to cover this WIDE HP range, still remain efficient and reliable, with no surge issues and then be adaptable to a twin set up... easy right?

The BD Tow Twins were for the same type of driver with 450-600HP about 15-20% of the market.

The Super B Special is a single turbo with the other 10% in mind, 450-550HP all play-no work.

The R700 Twins are for the 600-800HP monsters, about 4% of the market

The R850 Twins are a the latest we are testing, its an Twin upgrade from the Special that should take us into the 1000HP range, about 1% of the market.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:07 AM

I have the Super B and love it's quick spool up and the easy options of twins was too hard to pass up. The street manners of the Super B are great and compared to the stock turbo the towing manners are improved quite a bit. Depending on what you want from your turbo, thread reads "daily driver", I believe you'll be quite happy with the Super B. I'm picking up my Upgrade kit to twins this week, can't wait to put it all together. I got a great price from Pat at BD through this forum.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:32 AM

Well that sounds just like the turbo for me, i mostly use mt truck for daily driving and i tow my 34 ft trailer when ever possible so fromreading up on the super B and from what people have told me, i think its the one for me...Now just waiting to hear back from Dave at bd to find out if there is a distributer close to me...
Old 08-27-2008, 01:55 PM
D45

No offense taken... your comments are very welcome... the purpose of the single was not for a twin set-up though. Like you said, it was designed as an all round turbo that could be adapted into a twin kit later.

The Super B Single was designed with 65-70% of the market in mind, the every day drivers-tow rigs-weekend warriors producing 300-450HP, usually a 60-130HP chip and/or injectors. Test results showed it was the best configuration to cover this WIDE HP range, still remain efficient and reliable, with no surge issues and then be adaptable to a twin set up... easy right?

The BD Tow Twins were for the same type of driver with 450-600HP about 15-20% of the market.

The Super B Special is a single turbo with the other 10% in mind, 450-550HP all play-no work.

The R700 Twins are for the 600-800HP monsters, about 4% of the market

The R850 Twins are a the latest we are testing, its an Twin upgrade from the Special that should take us into the 1000HP range, about 1% of the market.

Thanks for the info.

Any idea on how much power the Super B will produce over stock?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by D45
Thanks for the info.

Any idea on how much power the Super B will produce over stock?
If I said yes or told you a particular HP gain I would be lying... there are too many variables to say for sure. The best I can tell you is the more inefficient the truck is running (black smoke and heat), the more HP you will gain with the Super B upgrade.

For example, if you were running a Comp Box and say 120 Injectors on a stock turbo (which I have seen) you could expect large gains as much as 60-70+HP and obviously better fuel economy. If you have a stock motor or a small 60-70HP chip you may only see 20-30HP gains with moderate fuel gains.

Hope this helps
Old 08-27-2008, 04:33 PM

O.k. Dave you have just given me some good info. I'm ready for a recommendation [sorry not a good speller] If you would be so kind.I own 2003 ram 2500 4x4 5spd. only add ons are smarty have an airdog 100 have not installed yet. Drive the truck every day. Tow hardly ever. but occasionly. Haul wood and other heavy things here and there.I run the smarty on #9 version 4.11 I drive cautiously, think the clutch is getting hammered.Soo I was thinking more power and very interested in a super b turbo. You mentioned to someone about black smoke and heat or excessive amounts. I experience alittle black smoke not giant clouds so I thought if I got a super b it would clear that up and not see any or even less smoke the more efficent the better oh ya what clutch? thx
Old 08-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

With that Smarty definitely go with the Super B Single, you may still get a puff on hard acceleration but it will clean right up. Check out my sig, its about 450HP and very little smoke, I would not even call it smoke, more of a small haze when my foot is on the floor.

For the clutch, use a 450HP South bend MU 1947 CON-OFE
clutch with the hydraulic assist. I have them in stock.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:29 PM

With that Smarty definitely go with the Super B Single, you may still get a puff on hard acceleration but it will clean right up. Check out my sig, its about 450HP and very little smoke, I would not even call it smoke, more of a small haze when my foot is on the floor.

For the clutch, use a 450HP South bend MU 1947 CON-OFE
clutch with the hydraulic assist. I have them in stock.
I'll second what he said. I've seen the Super B in action, and I think it is a good turbo. I had a SPS62 which was a little more laggy, but still a good turbo. Prior to that I had a SPS66, which in my opinion is a lag-monster. It sucked to drive around here with it.

The OFE is a killer clutch. It held every bit of the 500+ hp my last truck made. I beat on that clutch and it always performed... Pretty smooth, too.

This time around, I'm doing twins. I want something faster spooling than a 62-14 on top. Perhaps a Super B is in my future...

Quick Reply: Best turbo for daily driver?