3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Best place for Gauge kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by truckjunkie
I did exactly what you're referring to - I actually emailed Cummins and that was their reply - install the probe post turbo. I'll tell ya what - I was a LOT less nervous about drilling and tapping that hole for the probe in the turbo outlet pipe than I would've been pre-turbo. I was still careful, and greased the bit, magneted and vacuumed the area, etc., while I was drilling.

If any of you want the actual text of the message from Cummins PM me and I'll get it to you.
Did they say WHY it needed to be post-turbo??
Old 11-09-2005, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss
Did they say WHY it needed to be post-turbo??
PM me your email address and I'll send you the whole note. Basically they stated that if the probe were to fail, it could cause damage/failure to the turbo.

I know some of the folks on here say that pre-turbo is the only way to go, but my truck will be post turbo, at least until the warranty runs out :-) I don't want to give DC any reason to void my warranty if my turbo goes south prior to 100,000.1 miles. I realize that's probably not going to happen anyway, but never say never... Besides - I really got the EGT gauge to figure out when I could shut the truck down more than watching out for my highest EGT's - my truck isn't bombed, and since I've installed the gauge (only a little more than a month now) I've never seen the temp get over 550 - 600. Of course I haven't towed anything too heavy during that time.... Most of the time cruising around empty I see readings of 400-500 degrees, and it drops back down into the 300's pretty quickly.

BTW - they're talking about High EGTs in this thread right now - - - - https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=80964 - - - I'm pretty sure the temps they're talking about are pre-turbo. At those temps (pre-turbo) I'd be worried about the darn probe melting and falling into the turbo - holy cow - I guess those probes are built pretty well - at least I hope they are.

I can't afford to take some of the chances I think those guys are taking. I'm pretty darn happy with my truck being stock - though I may drill some holes in the bottom of the airbox - but other than that I'm think I'm leavin' her just the way she is. I'd rather get there a couple minutes later than not get there at all. And I can't even FATHOM the kind of hell I'd be in for from the better / saner half if I did something to the truck that caused some sort of major repair :-) She'd probably be OK with it if it wasn't my fault; but if it was due to something I did - oh boy - I don't even want to go there.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:31 PM

your engine will melt before the probe.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:14 PM

Just how many times on how many trucks have you seen a probe fail? Im not directing that at you, just a general statement. Cummins is smart, but im sure they have seen 1/10000000 of probes fail

I wouldnt be nervous about drilling post turbo. just drill and watch the shavings blow out the exhaust. I didnt drill mine but the dealer did it pre turbo with no problem.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
I'm still trying to decide where to put the gauges that I'm about to order. I'm trying to look ahead for the future because I'll be getting the Juice with Attitude too, so I'll need somewhere to mount that Attitude.

Right now I'm thinking of maybe mounting the gauges in the cubby hole and then mounting the Attitude on the A-pillar. To anyone with the Attitude mounted like this, what does it do as far as a blind spot is concerned? What are the other options for mounting the Attitude assuming that I do not want it mounted above my rear view mirror??

Hoss,

This is how I did my gauges and then mounted the Attitude on a mount that I am making. Works real nice, all gauges in the same place and the Attitude is real easy to adjust with your left hand while resting your arm on the window sill.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sevir,

After I read all the posts regarding guages I asked a friend of mine MDW what was the real deal?

His response was Stewart Warner.

I picked up a trans guage, 100lb boost guage (wishful thinking) with boost bolt, and a egt guage that match my factory guages exactly. Plus I also ordered a PML trans pan pre tapped for the guage sender all for about $400.00. All I had to do was decide to mount my guages on the dash via Autometer dash mount $40.00 and put it all together.

Thanks again to MDW @ hotroddiesels.com

Rick
Old 11-10-2005, 06:02 AM

I will check that out Runamuk, Thanks