3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Best and Loudest Muffler....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
dynomax bullet also eats up a lot of turbo...
How do you figure?? Most turboed race cars that require mufflers use them they are purely straight through just like all the other mufflers you guys talk about. or are you speaking specifically of sound?? Performance wise, they are great
Old 01-13-2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by DODGE4X4
Go total straight pipe and if it is to loud get a high flow muffler. A local muffler shop can do it for you and it shouldn't cost very much. When I pull a big load the drone of the straight pipe is to much, but since you have that lift I don't think you are pulling anything.
I don't understand why everyone is anti towing with a lift. I will be pulling a 30ft Raptor toy hauler.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Banned

I'm talking sound... I can't explain WHY they do it, but I had a bullet on my 97... the exhaust was still quite loud, still resonated, etc... I took it off, and it was loud and resonated, but the sound was much sharper and SO MUCH more turbo sound out the exhaust!!!

the only mufflers I like on these trucks are big ones that quiet down the exhaust note a lot but still allow a lot of turbo noise...

I stick with straight pipe, but at one point I had a big walker on my 97 and it sounded really cool... like a big truck, fairly quiet but with tons of turbo

what can I say, I'm a whistle freak
Old 01-13-2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by 3500lly
Lots of different opinions on this thread so I guess I'll throw mine in too. I'm running MBRP 4" duals w/Cat. Sounds really good and throaty but not too much to handle when I'm on the highway or towing. The sound can change by the tip you use and how you adjust it. But I'd leave the cat in
Thanks, I am debating between MBRP or Magna Flow.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Banned

my true personal favorite for exhaust is my ATS manifold and my turbo with a gutted cat and no muffler. doesn't sound like a riced out diesel....sounds more like the old straght piped 24 valves.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:13 PM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

I run MBRP duals, no cat, no muffler. It is a throaty soundin thing I tell ya. I like it. I cut off everything right when i got it, dumped it about 4 feet after the turbo, that thing howled...too droney IMO. But yea, straight pipe, no muffler, no cat, and it will sound perty.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
I'm talking sound... I can't explain WHY they do it, but I had a bullet on my 97... the exhaust was still quite loud, still resonated, etc... I took it off, and it was loud and resonated, but the sound was much sharper and SO MUCH more turbo sound out the exhaust!!!

the only mufflers I like on these trucks are big ones that quiet down the exhaust note a lot but still allow a lot of turbo noise...

I stick with straight pipe, but at one point I had a big walker on my 97 and it sounded really cool... like a big truck, fairly quiet but with tons of turbo

what can I say, I'm a whistle freak

Honestly, I can't speak for the 12V but my turbo sounds pretty decent with this muffler... It is still loud but just a hair quieter than a straight pipe.. It has a nice deep tone to it, I like.. definitely not a ricer, sound is closer to a tractor..
Old 01-13-2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by BLUESTEEL 17
I don't understand why everyone is anti towing with a lift. I will be pulling a 30ft Raptor toy hauler.

I am not anti towing with a lift, I just haven't seen anyone with a six inch lift pull a trailer before. I only pull goose neck trailers and I am almost to high for it now with just 285's on the truck. I just can't see you pulling 15k plus with that lift, small loads shouldn't have any drone.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by forced5
Honestly, I can't speak for the 12V but my turbo sounds pretty decent with this muffler... It is still loud but just a hair quieter than a straight pipe.. It has a nice deep tone to it, I like.. definitely not a ricer, sound is closer to a tractor..
take it off and I think you'll be surprised at how much louder the turbo is out the exhaust
Old 01-14-2007, 01:22 AM

I am not anti towing with a lift, I just haven't seen anyone with a six inch lift pull a trailer before. I only pull goose neck trailers and I am almost to high for it now with just 285's on the truck. I just can't see you pulling 15k plus with that lift, small loads shouldn't have any drone.
OK 15k is heavy. My 30' Raptor I just picked up, dry weight is 8700.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:40 AM

I would love to have 7" mitre cut stacks w/ no cat. I can't get mitre cut stacks from our local truck shop. 6" turnouts is all they can get, but they aren't but $69.00 each for polished stainless. Blackclouddiesel.com sales the 7" mitre cuts for $275.00 (I hope that's for the pair but I don't know for sure) I will def. run the factory muffler behind them w/ an electric cut-out in and dump the factory exhaust right behind the axle. The GF thinks it's too loud right now with no cat and no muf. + a 5" tip. Quiet would be nice on long hauls, or when you're hungover.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:40 PM

Here ya go. Check out this baby. Now I just need some air bags and more power.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Aero Turbine 4040 muffler is a great choice IMO for a deep throaty sound and really lets the Cummins breathe. Truck runs so much better overall after install the Aero...

I removed the muffler/cat and the Aero was installed where the CAT originally was. Great power in the mid-range and on the top-end...even got back a little bit of bottom end torque that I lost with the S&B intake...
Old 01-16-2007, 11:48 AM

after being straight piped(no cat or muffler) for about two years, i just put a bullydog straight thru 4in muffler on my truck last week. i got tired of how loud it was in town and on campus. i like the sound of the new muffler. i can hear the turbo alot more and i think i cand hear the turbo through the exhaust more too. and it was only 75 dollars.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:14 PM

the 2 loudest mufflers i have hear are a Rolling Big Power and a D.N.A muffler. my little brother has the Rolling Big Power 5 inch exhaust on his truck and it sounds great. i have a 5 inch 21 inch long D.N.A race muffler on my truck with a side exit before the rear tire with a polished 5 to 6 inch Rolling Big Power tip. i could not be any happier with the way my truck sounds, it is really loud and throaty. it sounds a lot better than just a strait pipe. here are some pics of my truck with my exhaust.

Quick Reply: Best and Loudest Muffler....