3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Best Intercooler opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Intercooler opinions

I am in desperate need of a new intercooler for my truck, I came across City Diesel... Anyone know of a good inexpensive intercooler out there?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:35 PM

CrashCade... I have heard good things about CityDiesels CoolTwist Intercooler.. I have been thinking of ordering one for my 05, the only thing is, its just an intercooler, it has no additional piping.. I contacted some friends of mine at a turbo shop and they said if i got it, they would build me some bigger piping for the intercooler..

I am looking as well.. So if anyone knows of anything better feel free to let us know..
Old 07-06-2006, 06:23 PM

I know that Banks and BD Power make intercoolers, but I dont know about price
Old 07-07-2006, 12:52 AM

Well, I found one for a pretty reasonable price, not sure if it is turbonetics or not but they are test to 600PSI have awesome flow charecteristics and are just a bit bigger than stock, Comes with everything needed to intall. So Tuesday when my New Suncoast comes in, my u-joints are done, and the intercooler replaced I will let you all know.

I was also told that the ATS Intake horn would be a great optionfor me at this point now too... Any thoughts?
Old 07-07-2006, 03:04 PM

I know that banks comes with an intercooler, 3.5 inch tubing, high ram intake…for just over $1300
Old 07-07-2006, 03:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up air intake horn

IMOH, I don't think the aftermarket intake horns can do much over the stock pieces - especially if you "port" them like I did... just treat the horn like a really big cylinder head intake port, then smooth, blend, cut & radius as needed.

The stock castings are actually pretty good, and besides - pressurized dry flow intake passages aren't nearly as sensitive to cross-section issues as you'd think.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:13 PM

When I got my manifold from Piers I asked about the ATS intake and they told me they don't sell it because it has no added benefits for our trucks. I have not opion it this is right or not but wanted to put it out there.

Kevin
Old 07-07-2006, 06:49 PM

ATS I guess it is how you look at it let see were the bolts pinch down has to hurt airflow on the stock air horn here is were it starts to shine bigger intercooler larger turbo better air intake sys and the thing I like the most I dont have to drill my stock air horn for snow performance water/meth and it looks so much better then the stock one
Old 07-07-2006, 06:56 PM

On my truck the ATS cleaned up the black smoke a bit, i'm guessing the engine is getting more air..

Plus it looks cool..

As far as the intercooler goes, i am leaning towards the City Diesel one, i did notice that Banks has 3 1/2 piping, but i'm thinking maybe going 4" couldnt hurt anything.. i'm only guessing. I'll ask the turbo people that question..
Old 07-07-2006, 07:16 PM

I got the city diesel cool twist and and it does some cooling but it is one step closer to what I am going to do to the truck. now I have not run any test from stock to the new intercooler but I can make some passes with 40 psi and get out of the truck and the hot side will burn your hand and the cold side feels colder then outside air so it works but my truck has mods and I tow and if I am out of state and blow the intercooler apart they will blame it on the mods even though they know the the intercooler that came in the truck is junk. but on the install make sure its not hitting on anything because it might I had to grind some brackets on my tow hooks to get it to clear and it wanted to hit on the core support also but it was an easy fix. If you like I can take some pics. of it and show you were you will have to grind and you will have to move the tabs on the A/C condencer the lower ones no big deal