3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Best Intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dodgediesel
What are your guy's opinions on the Banks intercooler?? I know all their stuff is way too expensive but I have heard that their intercoolers are top notch??

Good experience on them with my Duramax. It held 68PSIG for more than 2 years.

I don't know what they will hold at maximum though. Or what they pressure test/warranty them to .
Old 03-09-2009, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I can expect to see a 200-300*F drop in EGTs just by changing out the stock intercooler to one of the after market jobs?
If that's so than it's well worth the $1K or so and I will be ordering one.
Billy
Old 03-09-2009, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Billy Ram
So I can expect to see a 200-300*F drop in EGTs just by changing out the stock intercooler to one of the after market jobs?
If that's so than it's well worth the $1K or so and I will be ordering one.
Billy
I would expect 150-250 with your turbo. It also depends on IAT remember.

Where you will really see the difference is while pulling or towing.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:43 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by wallawalla
What's the best intercooler on the market? I am looking for an extruded tube design, not bar and plate like most. I just bought a BD which I thought to be a good choice, but it was damaged in shipping. I am sending it back and the people I got it from are giving me my money back. I do not plan on getting another one from BD because the quality seemed very poor to me. The welds were not uniform at all and the cast tanks on the end were very rough on the inside( I wiped my finger across the inside of the tank and when I pulled it out there were very small metal flakes on it). I am looking for an extruded tube design, not bar and plate like most. With BD out of the picture, the only other people that I know that make extruded tube intercoolers are City Diesel(cool twist) and Joe Hellman. What are your opinions?
Was this one of our black intercoolers with the cast not welded one? These have been working very well for a few guys running in the 110-120psi range. I dont know where the metal flakes had come from. I went and checked three of them on the shelf and they were all ok. We also have some internal bracing in the end tanks to prevent ballooning. At 70psi we had less than 1psi loss from inlet to outlet. If I can help you with anything let me know.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:14 PM

Yes it was a black cast tank intercooler. They were very small little specks, but any foreign material in my intake makes me a bit uneasy. I think that the specks may have come off when I wiped my finger on the inside, but it is really hard to tell because it is so rough from the sand casting. I am really curious as to why y'all do not smooth the tanks up on the inside. Please do not think that I am trying to bash your product, but I really did not feel comfortable putting the BD intercooler that I received on my truck. If your tanks on your intercoolers were smoothed out on the inside, I would probably buy another one.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:28 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by wallawalla
Yes it was a black cast tank intercooler. They were very small little specks, but any foreign material in my intake makes me a bit uneasy. I think that the specks may have come off when I wiped my finger on the inside, but it is really hard to tell because it is so rough from the sand casting. I am really curious as to why y'all do not smooth the tanks up on the inside. Please do not think that I am trying to bash your product, but I really did not feel comfortable putting the BD intercooler that I received on my truck. If your tanks on your intercoolers were smoothed out on the inside, I would probably buy another one.
Having the insides smooth would only benifit in a vacume situation where you are drawing the air through the intercooler. We are pushing air through and there would be no difference if you polished the inside of it. This is right from our turbo engineer John Todd. I can understand getting a damaged product might sway you away from running it, but they really do work.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Got Juice?
I would expect 150-250 with your turbo. It also depends on IAT remember.

Where you will really see the difference is while pulling or towing.
I'll take that along with the less pressure drop over the stock CAC.
Billy
Old 03-17-2009, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Billy Ram
I'll take that along with the less pressure drop over the stock CAC.
Billy
Absolutely.