3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Best fuel pump system for 2004.5 ram?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best fuel pump system for 2004.5 ram?

Ok I know theres FASS, glacier and fuel dog. Is there any more? whats the best. Im not running lots of power but just want some safety. Why do most people run these? is it to prolong life of the cp3? Is there a different cp3 (HP one)or something we can replace stock 1 with? or do these fuel systems run fine with stock cp3? also when we go and hookup a fass or air dog etc...do we totally bypass the current fuel filter housing from dodge? i have a 2004.5 where is my electric lift pump? tank or fuel filter pad?
Old 12-29-2007, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your lift pump is on the back of the filter housing. I went with the GDP 392 kit. Very nice kit and it does replace the stock lift pump but does not replace the filter housing. I added an inline 2mic filter kit and still run a stock filter in the factory filter housing as well. It probably really isn't needed since it's after the 2mic one, but it's only a few bucks so I keep it in there. With just your Juice you don't need to worry about upgrading the cp3, but the lift pump is still a good idea.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:17 PM

I went with the 392 as well. Piece of cake to install on our '04.5. Don't have to drop the tank. If you get it from GDP, Richard gives you everything you need to install it. I would recomend doing the Big Line kit as well while your in there. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:26 PM

Ditto as above.. Glacier 392, but I also added the 2 Micron filter setup to help keep the injectors running clean. Easy install and appears to work well.

Jeff
Old 12-29-2007, 06:29 PM

how much for the glacier 392 and micron filters. is the micron filters part of the kit?
Old 12-29-2007, 06:51 PM

I think mine was less than $400 but it was awhile ago.

I would contact the company for a package that would take care of everything you need.

Sales@glacierdieselpower.com

They can price up a package with exactly want you want or need...
The 2 Micron kit is a seperate item from the pump kits.

Jeff
Old 12-29-2007, 06:55 PM

well ive got the glacier also and it seems to do good. its been on for about a year and the truck is still a daily driver at the moment. everybody will throw a fit but Ive ran a fass pump and I didnt care for the noise and from what ive seen their customer service is not very good
Old 12-29-2007, 07:01 PM

you can get the GDP fuel system kit's from Lary in the DTR store for cheaper then buying direct from GDP...you can also get the airdog from the DTR store for a great DTR member price....(i'm not sure if Lary is selling them right this second but I know he will be soon.)my airdog pump seems to be about the same nosie level as the stock fuel pump...and thats even with the pump mounted right under the megacabs rear seat!!!
Old 12-29-2007, 07:08 PM

i got the fuel boss seem to work great you should look into it Richard @gdp is a great guy good service.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:50 PM

'Nother vote for GDP, either the 392 or Fuel Boss. Im still trying to decide which Im going to get; leaning towards the Fuel Boss but kinda worried about throwing the belt. Cant imagine that would be too good, but might not be all that bad either.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FASS...I had great customer service.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07
'Nother vote for GDP, either the 392 or Fuel Boss. Im still trying to decide which Im going to get; leaning towards the Fuel Boss but kinda worried about throwing the belt. Cant imagine that would be too good, but might not be all that bad either.
if you throw a belt then the stock lift pump would kick on and you would just keep on going.....
Old 12-30-2007, 12:52 AM

Richard does have great service. Every time I've called, he has answered with the one exception when I called about noon, and he called about 1/2 or hour later. Can't beat the service.
I have a fuel boss, with the fuel water seperator, and 2 mic filter. I have the factory bypass, but I might just leave it on, it can't hurt. I left the stock fuel pump and lines in, and plumbed the hobb's switch so when pressure drops the stock lift pump runs (and a $2 LED that I got from Radio Shack glows on the dash) just when I get low (about 1/4 tank unfortunently, I think every aftermarked draw straw has this drawback, the stock lift pump has this venturi thingy where 1/2 of it's flow is pumped into the bottom of the strainer of the fuel pump, so it reallysucks up the last bit of diesel on the bottom) or when I first start the truck. I modified the FW/2 mic bracket and installed the filters on the inside left side of the tranmission tunnel, it's like right under my gas pedal. If you get down on your hands and knees and look under the truck you can barely see it, it is NOT the lowest thing on the truck. Truck is kinda low (stock 2WD)
Old 12-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
if you throw a belt then the stock lift pump would kick on and you would just keep on going.....
Oh really? Well then that settles it! After the trans is in Ill have to get the Fuel Boss...thanks for the info
Old 12-30-2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07
Oh really? Well then that settles it! After the trans is in Ill have to get the Fuel Boss...thanks for the info
yeah from the way I understand it the hobbs switch would sense the below 10psi and that should kick the stock pump on...I would find out from someone who has the Boss set-up first tho

Quick Reply: Best fuel pump system for 2004.5 ram?