3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

best formula for towing upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best formula for towing upgrade

What is the best power module and turbo combination to get reliable towing power and reach the 400 hp level? The key word here is towing (up to 15,000lbs) and egt's below 1300 max. i prefer to stay away from boxes that have the potential to kill my truck (TST pmcr) Too much temptation to bump it up. I also prefer in cab selectability. Exhaust and intake are taken care of to handle 400HP. If I can't use a box at its max level while towinng heavy then it's not much use to me. I'm not sure which of the many turbo's out there would be suitable (no twins please). I have a six speed and 4.10's.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:51 AM

In that case you need to upgrade your tranny. I don't know of any box that is garrented NOT to blow up truck if you run it at WOT.
I like the Banks, however the upper levels are for OFFROAD use only per Banks. Level 2 & 3 are for heavy towing.
You may won't to go with a set of injectors and beef up the tranny.
Try this :http://www.dieseldynamics.com/
They have some things that should help you.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:06 AM

yeah, would need to beef up the clutch too. I was leaning towards a VA duration box and a larger turbo. I've read up on the threads but haven't found anyone who has a proven turbo and tested it in this apllication on the 3rd gen trucks. Still waitning to see what the edge attitude can do. As soon as I think i've found somthing I like , somthing a little better emerges. Technology on the boxes and turbos seems to changing a lot lately.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:45 AM

Ok! This may sound like a stupid question, but I found out I should have gone with the standard tranny after I bought my truck with the 48RE in it. What options are there to beef up the auto to handle increased HP if I started BOMBing the Cummins?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:07 AM

There are many options...

A VB and a TC from one of the big three will make that tranny hold just about anythiny up to the 500 hp mark. Then a few more goodies are needed.

There is nothing wrong with the AUTO!
Old 08-16-2004, 11:16 AM

cquestad,

How is your clutch and turbo holding up to the VA? You tow much with it? I saw on another thread your questions about turbos - found one yet?
Old 08-16-2004, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by cajun4x4
Ok! This may sound like a stupid question, but I found out I should have gone with the standard tranny after I bought my truck with the 48RE in it.
How do you find this out after you bought the truck? You only have one decision, "do I want to row gears or have it done for me". The only gotcha is that in order to be reliable with more HP the auto will cost more. But once you've beefed it up, it will handle any loads the manual will. So perhaps you just meant you didn't want to spend more money than you had to, so you should have chose the manual because for the cost invloved it's more reliable with a heavy load. Well, that's hindsight now! Go get a decent torque converter and valve body and tow to your hearts content. If you really want it to be bulletproof, have the internals upgraded and add a billet input shaft. This is what I plan to do when the warranty is up on my '05. DTT will be my choice, but there are a lot of good companies that can take care of this for you... just do some searches and I'm sure you'll find more information that you can digest in one sitting.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:19 PM

Well I am running the 6 speed and 4.10's just like you. I run an Edge EZ on Level 4 all the time with no problems. They only time that the EGT's get to be a problem is if you are on something real steep and have to go down the 5th gear and hold WOT at say over 2700-2800 rpms, other then that hammer down. You can run WOT at 75 in 6th and not worry about EGT's

I am running the stock turbo and it will make 38 psi boost, also the stock clutch with 42,000 on it so far. But the clutch is starting to get bad if I am loaded real heavy.

Heaviest I have loaded so far is 37,000 gross (that is around 29,000 in tow) Done queit a few trips at 31,000 gross, no problems at all. If all you are going to pull is 15,000 that is a cake walk.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:49 PM

I don't have a clutch...mine is auto. I have 25k on the clicker...maybe 1/2 of that with the VA. My turbo and auto have had no provlems with the VA CP3.2, but I oly use the middle setting. I will screw around, drag, etc occasionally on the high setting with no trouble from either, but things get hot quick. You could not tow anything on the high setting without turbo upgrades. I can tow ski boats, utility trailers, etc up to 7-8k on the mid setting hauling butt with no problems. Over that weigth, I ussually turn it off so that I don't have to watch the EGT guage 24/7. With a turbo, the duration will be awesome!
Old 08-16-2004, 12:50 PM

Wow, thats some heavy loads! I probably wouldnt pull more than 20,000 but I do go through the montains out west occasionaly. While I have the cash I was trying to go ahead and get a turbo, box and a clutch. Hard deciding which box and turbo will work well together. The tst and edge with a decent turbo sounds tempting but I would have to stay no higher that 5x5. Not sure if I can do that!