3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Best bang for bucks to get me off the line.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quad XZT is a nice add on.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Luken
So let's do what *most* do and put a chips on and roast their tranny/clutch... Is that a good idea? I think not sir...

The point OT-OF-HERE was trying to make is you will end up screwing your tranny up so get it out of the way first so you won't have it hanging over your head. (like I regretfully did).

A built tranny in itself will get you going quicker... Then you won't ever have to worry about it failing.
He wants to get off the line better. He didn't say he wanted to run with YOU in the 1/4. YOU need a fully built tranny. HE does not, if all he is looking for is a mild mod to make his truck quicker and wanting to do it as cost effectively as possible. He could add a 60hp downloader, be completely content, and never need to fork over the cash it takes for a tranny that is meant to hold 600hp/1400lb-ft.
Secondly, I have had no issues with my tranny since the TC/VB install. Am I runnin' 12s? NO. Am I WAY faster than a stock CTD? YES! I will never go 12s. I don't have the money to support it that far, as I have too many other hobbies - including an autocross car that will spank your truck in a race - sorry, just had to throw that in - but I will be going 13s in the spring and I have NO WORRIES about my tranny. You may say that's foolish, but I am close already with only 5psi lauches that have done nothing to any shafts. AGAIN - I am not trying to start a tranny arguement. Some guys need the whole big bad boy tranny. This guy is not one of them.
All of the above is, of course, only my opinion, and I've been known to be an idiot before - only once I think though.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:23 PM

WOW, thanks for all the replies. I guess I should have clarified a bit more. It is an automatic. I am past the point in my life that I need to go fast on a regular basis (had the ZX6R for that, rode it hard, got married, sold it). In fact, as far as stress on the trannie, I find that since I got the diesel I’ve been really taking it easy when pulling away from stop signs to conserve on the gas. I’m just looking for that extra oomph that will keep my brother or dad behind me on that rare occasion we end up side by side at a stop light.

Originally Posted by OT-OF-Here
If just waking the truck up is your TOTAL goal then put on a VA C3.1 and then your not tempted.
What is a VA C3.1?

I really like the idea of the programmers because there is no install, and I can flash back to stock and still maintain my warrantee. The three I had looked at up to now are the Smarty, the Superchips, and the Power Pup.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Banned

dealer can detect the superchip and power pup (or triple dog) if they look hard enough. Dealer can't detect the smarty.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 973604x4
dealer can detect the superchip and power pup (or triple dog) if they look hard enough. Dealer can't detect the smarty.
That may be the straw that broke the diesels back. I spent the extra $$$ to extend the warrantee to 7 years, so I'd rather not void it out.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:52 PM

Most dealers will not go to the extent to find things out,, unless you are flaunting it,, as long as you are looking after the truck,, make sure that you take it out before you bring it in,, you should be fine,, I never had a problem running the power pup,, other than I really never liked the chip

Kevin

ps the edge is undetectable as it is post computer,,, as long as you pull itout before you bring it in

Kevin
Old 09-25-2006, 06:55 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once a box is removed (not a programmer) unless there is physical evidance it is undetectable. They may "suspect" you had one but can not prove it.

Not that I advocate or endorse these practices (I know, I know you play you pay) but just tryin to pass some info.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Clint S.
That may be the straw that broke the diesels back. I spent the extra $$$ to extend the warrantee to 7 years, so I'd rather not void it out.

Like I said before, just deal with it and leave it stock unless your willing to pay, especially since your not in friendly DC territory.

If your worried about your dad beating you at a red light you should of bought a D-Max.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:05 PM

Va C3.1

Originally Posted by Clint S.
WOW, thanks for all the replies. I guess I should have clarified a bit more. It is an automatic. I am past the point in my life that I need to go fast on a regular basis (had the ZX6R for that, rode it hard, got married, sold it). In fact, as far as stress on the trannie, I find that since I got the diesel I’ve been really taking it easy when pulling away from stop signs to conserve on the gas. I’m just looking for that extra oomph that will keep my brother or dad behind me on that rare occasion we end up side by side at a stop light.

What is a VA C3.1?

I really like the idea of the programmers because there is no install, and I can flash back to stock and still maintain my warrantee. The three I had looked at up to now are the Smarty, the Superchips, and the Power Pup.

It's a Van Aaken fuel pressure box that is very moderate but has a very strong lower end which will take that sluggishness away and give you the pop on low end you're looking for. It's also just moderate enough that you need nothing else to compliment it like tranny mods or turbo or anything else and they're cheap,... relatively speaking.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:11 PM

Don't ya just love opinions???

Originally Posted by omaharam
$5,000 is the best bang for the buck??? I think not sir!!!
Yours like mine is colored by our OWN experiences. For example,... I went to a EDGE Juice w/ attitude as my first box. About a dozen hard runs and my OD clutches were history. So what is a guy to do,... just replace them with the same thing he just blew up in a dozen runs? I think not. So my experience tells me it's better to do it right once and then forget it and not have it hanging over my head when I pull heavy or if I just can't stand the pressure of the Powerjoke next to me and I just have to crank up whatever box I have on my truck,.... then it gets expensive quick. Just my $.02.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:34 PM

My suggestion after reading............Leave it stock.

C
Old 09-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CButler610
My suggestion after reading............Leave it stock.

C
i agree. but how many of us originally said that?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by 973604x4
i agree. but how many of us originally said that?
No doubt. I was not trying to be sarcastic. I only want to illustrate that this is a Pandora's box and that these trucks are capable of huge power. It is hard to stop and easy to break things. This is probably the common denominator here in the replies I have read which are all well intentioned and good.

For me, the downloader is what will get things going in a hurry on the bottom. If you can excersize extreme restraint running otherwise stock. Pick your product, A-Z; there are many good choices.

The transmission as many have indicated is one -major- factor to transferring power to the wheels.

Can someone really be satisfied with a 60 HP increase to get off the line better??????? I know I couldn't, and one thing leads to another. Be careful, this is addictive stuff..........

Chris
Old 09-26-2006, 01:52 AM

If all you are looking for is a little more pep out of the hole for the occasional race, then just powerbrake the truck up to 1800 rpm's or so while holding the brake. When the light turns green, mash the pedal, and let off the brake at the same time. You will be surprised at the difference it makes Try that and tell us if that satisfies your want to get out of the hole faster every now and then. And if it doesent, Id go with a Smarty.

Eric
Old 09-26-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by CButler610
Can someone really be satisfied with a 60 HP increase to get off the line better??????? I know I couldn't, and one thing leads to another. Be careful, this is addictive stuff..........

Chris

Absolutely, there are tons of people that would be extremely happy. As a matter of fact there are probably more people running just 60hp than with all the other combined. 60hp is a lot to gain on a stock truck especially going from a bone stock truck. Not only can it add horsepower it broadens the torque curve and makes throttle responce a ton better.

Just because there are some very extreme people on here does not mean everyone has to do this to be happy.

He asked for 2 things:

1.) Bang for the Buck
2.) No other mods required.

The best fit for what he asked for is an XZT module, no questions asked.

Quick Reply: Best bang for bucks to get me off the line.