3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Best bang for bucks to get me off the line.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best bang for bucks to get me off the line.

I’ve noticed that my 06 Mega Cab I6 is none too lively off the line. In fact, I can’t even chirp the tires, let alone spin them. It does not really start to make any serious power till about 20mph (when the turbo kicks in). The truck is bone stock, and will likely remain that way for the most part. What mod would be the most cost effective way to get this beast off the line with some gusto? I’m guessing the answer is “programmer”, I’m just looking for some validation.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:54 PM

A programmer or box will wake that thing up a ton but some trans mods will help out alot too.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quad race box will do, Edge juice with attitude, Bully dog downloader w\crazy Larry if you must.

Please remember your stock transmission will die with the use of any of these!!

Rick
Old 09-25-2006, 03:09 AM
Banned

Either live with or start saving for some tranny mods then add power since it sounds like you live life on the safe side.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:25 AM

Best Bang for the $$$

Your best bang will be a Full Built Tranny.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:07 AM

A quad standard box used in the 60hp (middle setting) is the ticket. You won't have to any trans mods right away, unless you plan on lots of racing/abuse. If you plan to drive normally and the occasional takeoff then your fine. There are guys(including myself) who have logged tens of thousands of miles on stock transmissions without any problems. Also a free flowing muffler, Air intake and rokktech sensor would wake the truck up a bunch.
I would like to build my trans but 4K is a bit steep. My luck the new trans would give me problems when the stock was working perfectly. More importantly it would be very hard for me to justify this with my wife.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:37 AM

Upgrades

If just waking the truck up is your TOTAL goal then put on a VA C3.1 and then your not tempted. If your goals are beyond that then a TC/VB should be the goal as you get 50hp on the dyno from that and it will give you about what the factory rates the truck at instead of what you lose by the time it gets to your rear wheels,... and,.... you actually can pull much heavier without concern.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OT-OF-Here
Your best bang will be a Full Built Tranny.
$5,000 is the best bang for the buck??? I think not sir!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by omaharam
$5,000 is the best bang for the buck??? I think not sir!!!
So let's do what *most* do and put a chips on and roast their tranny/clutch... Is that a good idea? I think not sir...

The point OT-OF-HERE was trying to make is you will end up screwing your tranny up so get it out of the way first so you won't have it hanging over your head. (like I regretfully did).

A built tranny in itself will get you going quicker... Then you won't ever have to worry about it failing.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Banned

The superchips flashpaq is pretty cool and not a lot of money. Best deal would be the Edge Juice w/ Attitude though.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Banned

who said $5000? thats not full billet.

tranny first then if you more than 100hp over stock, fuel system.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:42 AM

I ran a bullydog power pup for over 30 thousand k. without problems, finally after many miles of pulling trailer in extreme mode,, my tourque converter started to complain,, so then I fixed up the tranny,,, I think that either a bully dog or a edge,, driven with a small amount of care would be the right ticket

Kevin
Old 09-25-2006, 10:44 AM

Everyone is assuming you have an auto. If so, tranny is one of the first mods. If you have a 6spd then you are OK for about 80-100 extra hp. Then your clutch will start to hate you
Old 09-25-2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Clint S.
I’ve noticed that my 06 Mega Cab I6 is none too lively off the line. In fact, I can’t even chirp the tires, let alone spin them. It does not really start to make any serious power till about 20mph (when the turbo kicks in). The truck is bone stock, and will likely remain that way for the most part. What mod would be the most cost effective way to get this beast off the line with some gusto? I’m guessing the answer is “programmer”, I’m just looking for some validation.
To answer you question I would say look at the Xzillaraider XZT. It will definately get you off the line much better. It is also the most cost effective answer, which is part of your criteria.

Now there are a zillion choices and we even have multiple choice. However if you want the best band for the buck and are mainly concerned with getting off the line and not doing many/any other modifications this is your ticket. Your tranny will be just fine for a LONG time to come.

Quad
Old 09-25-2006, 11:34 AM

I completely disagree with the tranny mods for a "best-bang-for-the-buck" question. Sure there's a lot of bang, but that's a $hit load of buck! Get a mild chip, like Quads XZT, for less than $300. Or, you can get a more aggressive chip/programmer and excersize some restraint and have no problems. But if you're not disiplined you'll be buying a built tranny anyway...

Quick Reply: Best bang for bucks to get me off the line.