3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Best air intake and exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 11:11 PM
KBF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Best air intake and exhaust system

What is the best air intake and exhaust set up for a 2005 Cummins Dodge ram? How much louder will it make the truck sound? In addition, which system sounds the closest to stock (not very loud)? Thank you.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:24 PM

Air: BHAF
Exhaust: any system you pick
Old 02-28-2005, 11:25 PM

I personally like the Bully Dog intake system with a TruFlow Intake pipe. Exhaust that will keep it sounding close to stock is probably just a replacement muffler from MagnaFlow. I ran a 20" magna flow and a straight pipe and it sounded pretty good. I currently run a 6" Bully dog exhaust sytem and it much louder than the Magnaflow and really loud compared to the stock set-up. Just my $.02
Old 03-01-2005, 03:21 AM

6" exhaust? That's huge!!
I prefer the BHAF although you have to fabricate it yourself. I don't know why someone hasn't come out with a BHAF kit yet. I made my own full 4" exhaust using a Magnaflow muffler and it sounds pretty good.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the Scotty Ram Air intake setup. I like it best because it draws cold air from the stock location (not warm engine air like some other designs), as well as taking ram air directly from the front grille. I've consistenly gotten lower silicon levels in my oil analysis reports than people with other intakes that I've seen. My EGT's are also very low.

KBF your 05 should have 4" exhaust from the factory - which is all you need unless you're going to be modding up above 500hp. You can change out the muffler for a slightly less restrictive system, but it's going to be louder. If you don't want it loud, leave the exhaust stock. I bet you'll find if you install gauges, that you probably don't have an EGT problem. Fill out your signature in your profile so we know what you have on your truck :-)
Old 03-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My plan on intake is to make my own BHAF setup similar to what Dodgzilla has done. I have a couple of stock air filters left in my garage at home. As soon as I've used them up I'll probably order the stuff to make the BHAF work (hate to waste those filters).

On exhaust, I have the MBRP exhaust on mine, but it has an exhaust leak where the downpipe connects to the turbo that I have never been able to get fixed so I can't really recommend it to anyone. It's a long story, but I am less than pleased with the product AND company I bought it from. I won't name the company, but you won't hear me recommending them to anyone for exhaust or any other products for that matter.

If I had to do my exhaust over again (which I may have to in order to get rid of the leak), I'd get a Banks downpipe and a 4" piece of straight pipe and connect it all together to the stock tailpipe. That will flow better than ANY exhaust system on the market and it will be less than half the cost.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
You can see from my signature what I have on my truck at the moment. Don't let any of the predjudiced posters tell you that K&N makes bad products. They don't IMHO!!!! Not once have I ever heard of anyone having to replace a motor due to a K&N product of any kind. Thank you.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:18 PM

Best air intake, Scotty RA-III witht he 2-stage foam filter element. Best exhaust is the Aeroturbine Cat-Back. You can see it here http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/exhaust2
Old 03-01-2005, 06:12 PM

i've got a BHAF [napa 2790 iirc]setup on mine [off currently as i have it going in for warrenty work and i don't want to have them complain about anything & i am making a piece to mount the air temp sensor in] and i've got BD's 5" exhaust on it

my BD exhaust is not bully dog... mine is from BD diesel performance. i don't like how so many are calling bullydog BD now... makes it confusing as BD isn't the same as BD...?
Old 03-01-2005, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Dorkweed
You can see from my signature what I have on my truck at the moment. Don't let any of the predjudiced posters tell you that K&N makes bad products. They don't IMHO!!!! Not once have I ever heard of anyone having to replace a motor due to a K&N product of any kind. Thank you.
Had a small oil leak from my breather, when I called the DCX STAR center, the first thing the Cummins guy asked was, EXACT WORDS HERE "Do you have one of those POS K&N's on that thing?" I said no but I do have an aftermarket filter, but it is not K&N, nothing else asked about the intake. Just my 0.02 cent worth. Oil leak was repaired at the dealer with my Scotty RA still in place with no problem.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
So tell me, what do those two items have in common???? Cause and effect.... I think not.