3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Best 4" lift for megacab

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best 4" lift for megacab

I want to put a lift with good fit and finish on a 06 megacab, I put a tuff country 4" on my 06 qc and there are a few things I did not like. So on this megacab I want one that rides and fits the BEST. and probley one that has bump stops so that it does not bottom out. thanks for any help
Old 04-22-2006, 04:17 PM

I'm no expert, but I'm in the middle of suspension choices for my truck, so I thought I'd add my $.02. If you want the 'best,' and you want to go 4", I say piece it together yourself.

I will have 4" coils from css coilsprings made (or possibly 1" spacers and Lorenz's IR... jury is still out on that one till I hear opinion/comparisons on them from other members). Rear leafs will be Carli Add-a-Paks for a 2" lift in the rear. May add a 1" block based on how the truck sits once all is said and done.

DTprofab arms for control arms, or possibly may have Don Thuren make me some custom ones. Thuren Trackbar. Not sure on Drop Pitman arms yet; I don't think there is much design difference in any of them though.

Thuren Shock Mounts and King racing shocks from ThurenFabrication .

All this will give me a better performing system then one of the "lift" companies out there. There are many options for you. If you'll be happy with 3", shop one of the 'big three' that you can read about on here.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:05 PM

I'm happy with my 4" superlift w/ bilstiens
Old 04-22-2006, 08:23 PM

I am a Skyjacker person. The 4.5" lift on my 2005 came with the bump stops, dual shocks on the front, Full leaf spring on the rear with no blocks. The poly bushings, pitman arm, sway bar mounts, front steering shock. The ride is no different from stock and towing is no problem.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:43 PM

The problem I am having with my tuff country is when I hit a dip fairly hard I bottom out and it is hitting the axle and the spring bucket, there is a flat spot on the axle from where the drop bracket for the track bar is hitting the top of the housing . I did not use the 4.5" spacer I used 4" coil springs from superlift so maybe thats why?
Old 04-23-2006, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by swdiesel
I want to put a lift with good fit and finish on a 06 megacab, I put a tuff country 4" on my 06 qc and there are a few things I did not like. So on this megacab I want one that rides and fits the BEST. and probley one that has bump stops so that it does not bottom out. thanks for any help
How much are you looking to spend? What are you planning on doing with the truck, will it be a pavement queen or will you use it off road? PWT05Dodge is headed in the right direction, but it's not cheap.

You know the old saying, "You can do it cheap or you can do it right".
Old 04-23-2006, 12:54 PM

This truck will go off-road at times but nothing too hardcore, but I am always on dirt roads crossing ditchs and bouncing pretty hard over dips and bumps, so I need somehting that is gooing to hold up to some good abuse. All I want to do is clear 35" tires on 17x9" ultra wheels with no rubbing.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:54 PM

SWDiesel,

My Megacab is only 2WD so I can't really answer your question first hand, please listen to the guys that are running the liftkits - But...

I have ran numerous liftkits over the years on my Jeeps. All of which have their individual Pros & Cons. IMO - If you're looking for the best overall ride, I would follow 68Dodge's advice and go SkyJacker. Their kit is the most complete, and typically the softest ride available. Keep in mind however that soft also means you may loose a bit of load capacity. Maybe ask 68Dodge if the rear springs come with a pre-installed 1 ton add-a-leaf. Mine always did in the past. Under a heavy load it may droop some but only until it contacts the extra leaf. If load is not an issue, I'd go for the soft ride. They also flex real nice too...

If you're going to run the big tires, then I'm sure you already know to run good quality shocks. I run Rancho shocks on my Jeep now, but have used SkyJackers in the past. Both are good. Get the correct length so that you don't limit your flex. Also, install a good Steering Stabilizer to help handle the extra meat...

Don't forget to consider brake line & driveshaft lengths...

Just my 2 Jeep cents talking...

Do your homework and get what's right for YOU !!!!!

Thanx,

Jax
JEEPNJAX
Old 04-23-2006, 03:07 PM

Don't mean to burst your bubble there JEEPNJAX, but....

I have a complete SJ 4.5" lift in my junkpile right now, bushings and heims are shot, coils are faded pink and shot, shocks are blown and shot, replacement trackbar is shot, it lasted almost 100K miles. That doesn't include the quarterly alignments, several sets of front tires, DW, etc.

Real testament to Skyjunker quality.....
Old 04-24-2006, 04:28 AM

Cowhand,

Well then good thing for me I started off by saying I wasn't running a SkyJacker Liftkit on my 2WD Megacab, and that SWDiesel should listen to the guys that are running the liftkits. I can't imagine your response had I not. All in good fun :-)...

I responded based on my experiences with SkyJacker Liftkits used on a 70 Chevy SB 4WD, and a 64 Jeep CJ5A. I had very good luck with them both and would use them again in a heartbeat. Keeping in mind that they don't use all them there fancy Heim Joints, Trackbars & Coil thingymabobs... As for my Scrambler, well that's a whole different story...

Anyhow, I'm sure SWDiesel has heard you loud and clear, and will at least consider your opinion before he chooses which way he wants to go...

As for me, my tow rig will stay stock for now...

Thanx,

Jax
JEEPNJAX
Old 04-24-2006, 11:05 AM

I find all the kits by the big companies (Skyjacker, Superlift, Fabtech, Procomp, Rancho, CST, etc.) are straight crap compared to the "systems" put out by guys like Thuren and Lorenz, and Carli, and small, race bred companies like KORE. You'll pay a lot more but it will blow your mind how well they work compared to the big name companies. I will never run another of the major manufacturer's kits again.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:39 PM

I have been thinking about the Kore Chase system, does anyone run this system and what do you think about it?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:04 PM

Revtek makes a great 4.5" lift and a 6" lift. They make some of the best lifts in my opinion compared to the other big manufacturers. I have the 6" lift in my Mega and it drives great!!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by swdiesel
I have been thinking about the Kore Chase system, does anyone run this system and what do you think about it?
Save a few bucks and go with Sage Carli.....It's every bit as good as KORE's system (or better) and won't hurt as bad..

His customer service can't be beat. I'll say why in another thread.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:04 AM

The only time all my Skyjacker springs were touching, was with 500 brick in the bed. the truck dropped about 2 1/2". The ride still was great.