3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Benifits of Performance Cams???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Benifits of Performance Cams???

I was wondering what the benifits of Schieds or someone else's performance cam would do for my application. Would I need a CP3 mod? I'm looking for 1st hand knowledge here guys&gals not just rumor or second hand advice, if possible.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:40 AM
Chapter President

Anyone, anyone.............???????
Old 08-21-2006, 04:51 AM

Performance?
Well I can tell you that obviously they increase your engines ability to efficiently move air in and out of your cylinders.
You see the factory cam these days is setup mainly with an emissions approach in mind, and of course to run with a stock turbo and motor.

When you step up to something along the lines of a Scheid street cam which I used to use, it is designed to help delete that extra meat on the cam that is not needed...hence the re-grind. It will help your engine breathe a little better and performance and mileage will go up. You will also notice the ability to spool your turbo better.

I now run a Don M/F1 Diesel Stage 2 Helix and I can say that it greatly improves airflow and keeps WOT egt's way down.
You can hear your valve train more with a cam in there.
Off the line torque is also increased with a cam typically if it is designed to run in the lower rpm's and up.

I also advise purchasing a set of F1 Valve springs if your going to stick a cam in. They'll keep that power robbing valve float in check (keep your hp up top).
Old 08-21-2006, 04:52 AM

Well, I heard........

There's a guy on another site that has basically the same setup as mine, except he has a cam and some headwork. His torque is way higher than mine and his hp is a little bit higher.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:32 AM
Chapter President

Yeh I'm def. looking at the stage1 Street Cam. I'm needing to know if a CP3 mod is needed to support it or not? How well does it rev above stock? Do you need a rev limiter delete to realize it's full potential?

The cam is about the same price as a quality nitrous or water meth kit, but I like mechanical power over temporary use power. Hence the many questions. Hopefully Mr. Schied humself will chime in.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:52 AM

since you have had both cams, which one do you prefer? what were the differences between the two?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:21 AM

Well obviously I like the more aggressive unit I have now.
But the Scheid did everything it said it would do.
It was more along the lines of a stage 1 from F1diesel.

The cam doesnt give you more rpm's by itself but it does help the equation of making power up top.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:32 AM

I second what Pourin has already stated. The engine will breath easier. Biggest benefits I have seen would be enhanced spool up, better mileage, and lower egt's. Of course the mileage benefits are highly dependent on a well behaved right foot.

Before the twins with the stock charger, I could build boost in the driveway with the tranny in park. With the twins I can still build boost, but not as much, in the same manner. I don't have before and after dyno runs unfortunately. Those that do have that info generally report a broader torque curve.

I wouldn't do the cam and not do the springs, IMHO. Oh, and currently I am running the stock CP3.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:17 AM
Chapter President

So, you would reccomend springs even with the simple re-grind Schieds cam? If so, would new stock springs be ok? Or would someone need the performance ones?
Old 08-22-2006, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by streetsmoker
So, you would reccomend springs even with the simple re-grind Schieds cam? If so, would new stock springs be ok? Or would someone need the performance ones?
Good question. There are a couple of threads in the 2nd gen section that delve into this topic pretty deep. To a certain extent it depends on what cam you are going with. The further up the performance scale you go, the more of a necessity they become.

With the Helix 2 they are strongly recommended, and on the Helix 3 they are required. I am not sure what Scheid recommends with their cams.

Don has a lot of this lined out on the F1 homepage.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:58 AM

If you have your heart set on a Scheid cam I still have mine sitting at home in the garage.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:30 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I believe Don M (F1 Diesel) has the cams ground with the extra lobe for a mechanical fuel pump. The pump is similar to what the P-pump guys have except the pump is modified for lower pressures that the VP44 and CP3 require than does the P7100.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:43 AM
Chapter President

Hey Pour'n check your pm's.

I'm not worried about if the Helix is machined for the P-pump or not. I dont ever plan on doing anything that would require it.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:17 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by streetsmoker
Hey Pour'n check your pm's.

I'm not worried about if the Helix is machined for the P-pump or not. I dont ever plan on doing anything that would require it.
No no, not the P-pump itself (P7100 is gear driven from the timing case), the lift pump that feeds it. There is a lobe for running a mechanical lift pump. Its used on all the engines with a P7100, and is an extremely reliable lift pump.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:43 AM
Chapter President

Oic. Duh!!! I still have that pretty much covered with my Walbro set-up. Anyone know bout the requirements for the Schied cam? I went to his site and not much help there.

Quick Reply: Benifits of Performance Cams???