3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Before I make a bad decision, HELP!!!(Long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I make a bad decision, HELP!!!(Long)

I know sorta...

My Wife and I purchased a really big toy hauler. I put an Edge EZ on it and it tows pretty nice!

Flats are easy, the hills are OK if I have momentum and slow hills are killing me. I had to actually stop on the side of the road on our first trip last week and let the tranny cool down. The gauge showed ~240 with no signs of slowing. We got back on the road and had a great weekend.

The trip home is where my biggest problem arises. Slowing this thing is really hard on the brakes.

Is there truth to the myth that an exhuast brake on the 04's with the 48RE mean certian death to my transmission?

I have looked into a PAC brake with an ATS triple lock commander($1800 installed). Salesperson claims the commander will help better apply HP throught the TC, therefor providing cooler tranny climbs. I did explain to him what I had read on this web site about tranny failures and he responded that with out the ATS commander, I would surely cook my TC. After the burn of the EB and commander subsides(~six months), I will put in a new ATS TC($1900).

Is there anyone out there running an exhaust brake on the 48RE? My service advisor at the dealership says her husband is running one in his and has 75K miles of trouble free service and loves it. She's not the one selling it to me only the one recommending it after selling me on a complete brake job.

I did a search but could only find year old posts containing opinions, I would like to come across hard facts if possible. I do not want to be covered under warranty. I just want to tow and slow safely....

Thanks guys and gals
Confused in PHX
Old 09-13-2005, 09:49 PM

You are using tow/haul, right?? That will keep your overdrive locked out for the slower hills. If i were you i would go with a torque converter before the commander, and exhaust brake. Get a good converter, and it should stay cooler up hills, and on the way back down, just manually downgear into 2nd gear. It will be fine. I do it with mine all the time, especially while pulling loads. Also, sounds to me like 1900 is a little steep for a torque converter, even installed. The converter should be no more than around $1200. Goerend has a converter for $1200 with a lifetime warranty. And install should at least not be over $300. Either way, if i were you i would do the TC first. Also, depending on how slow you are going, use 2nd or 1st gear, and wind the motor up some to keep the fan spinning fast, and TC not working so hard, and it should stay cooler.Good luck.

Eric
Old 09-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Chapter President

I use the tow/haul. I have "heard" (No proof) that second gear actually does not lock up in the 48RE. That would explain the rapid temp increase as I actually slowed down.

As far as downshifting; I did that and I would still gain speed and the RPM raced to the redline. I never felt the holding power I did with my ole' Siverado gas motor.

tom
Old 09-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Hal

I have the 2003 version of the 48re and I don't really like it, but if I manually shift it will lock up in all gears. I climb big mountain passes towing about 10K with it manually in 2nd and drive by EGT and haven't had any problems. Can crest pretty much any hill at 45 mph at about 1200 degrees on the pyro. Don't have tranny gage, but the idiot light has never come on and the fluid is not burned. I go down the same way with it in 2nd or 1st if it's really steep - TC locks and everything stays cool.

If I'm going to be here another year (I'll find out in a few months) I think I'm going to invest in a bigger turbo and an exhaust brake too. For now, I'm waiting...and riding the brakes more than I like.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Chapter President

Well here goes...

Next Wednesday the beast goes in. I am biting the bullet and going for it all at once. According to ATS: you cannot lock up second gear without the valve body so.....

ATS Triple lock converter, PAC brake, Triple Lock Cammander, Valve body, as well as an ATS deep pan.

The shop says I can take all the pics I want, will keep everyone updated as things progress....

LET THE BOMBING BEGIN
Old 09-16-2005, 12:21 PM

I just got the ATS converter installed, and it made a huge difference. It is no 6 speed but it definitely works better than stock. I had a shift kit installed instead of getting a new valve body.

Before the ATS I had to do allot more down shifting going down steep hills. Now it will keep the TC locked much longer, slowing the truck down.

Can you get the PAC brake with out getting the commander?