3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Bed Liner - killing the paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed Liner - killing the paint

I just had the truck oil sprayed for the winter season. I then yanked the factory bed liner out to check out the box condition. Looks like alot of paint is getting rubbed off the box. This could cause some issues with rust down the road. Anyone know a good solution for this? Should I go back to the dealer and complain? They installed the liner.
Thanks
Old 10-03-2005, 08:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Line-X the bed and be done with it.

Rusty
Old 10-03-2005, 08:49 AM

Nothing the dealer "did" the only way to have a hard plastic liner not scratch your truck bed is never to put it in.... go with Line-X
Old 10-03-2005, 10:03 AM

Agreed and agreed. If you want the factory liner back in, get yourself a can of Durabak or Herculiner (~$100) and roll it on, then throw the plastic liner back in. I sprayed Durabak in mine, and it looks good and works OK, but it is definately not even close to as tough as Rhino or Line-X. I think I'm gonna have to get a rubber bed mat soon.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:42 AM

Line-x, Line-x, Line-x. Did I mention Line-x?

travist
Old 10-03-2005, 12:05 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Ahem...Line-X or Rhino are very good options, but there are others as well...

|
|
|
|
V

Old 10-03-2005, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Wrench
I then yanked the factory bed liner out to check out the box condition. Looks like alot of paint is getting rubbed off the box.
This is exactly what a plastic liner does, besides letting stuff slide around in your bed and trying to fly away at speed.

Plastic Liners shake and moce rubbing all the paint off the high spots on your bed.

Plastic Liners = Junk.

On the other hand, you shouldn't have a problem with rust if you never remove the liner, or park the truck for too long.

Merrick
Old 10-03-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
Ahem...Line-X or Rhino are very good options, but there are others as well...

|
|
|
|
V

Hmmm.....methinks I know where this is heading!

Rusty
Old 10-03-2005, 12:43 PM

Yeah, I would spray the Line-X or Rhino and put the factory bedliner back in. My neighbor had his truck sprayed with line-x and it does look nice but his bed is beat up. The spray in liners don't protect our beds from dents, but the plastic liners do to an extent. His truck is what made me decide to just keep my plastic liner and so far my bed looks like it did when I bought it, just with some scratches.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Banned

Plastic ones suck!! My brothers flew out of his bed while driving down the interstate a couple years ago...............funny as heck, but freakin scary too!!!

Rhino lining takes more abuse as far as dents go, it is made out of a rubber type material, where line-x is really hard a doesn't have any cushion to prevent dents. Both are a great product, just depends on which your prefer. Rhino tends to fade easier than line-x though so that's something to think about!!
Old 10-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

I'd go without any bed liner before I'd have a plastic one. When I got my truck one of the first things I did was took the plastic one out and donated it to the local CCA (figured someone might want it). For the ultimate in protection I'd get a Line-X and then put one of the thick rubber mat types in the bed as well....or concrete.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
I'd go without any bed liner before I'd have a plastic one. When I got my truck one of the first things I did was took the plastic one out and donated it to the local CCA (figured someone might want it). For the ultimate in protection I'd get a Line-X and then put one of the thick rubber mat types in the bed as well....or concrete.
Have you performed any analysis of fiber reinforced concrete versus standard concrete for your liners?

~Rob
Old 10-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=hotdram]Have you performed any analyis of fiber reinforced concrete versus standard concrete for your liners?

That's funny, I don't care who ya are!!
Old 10-03-2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by hotdram
Have you performed any analysis of fiber reinforced concrete versus standard concrete for your liners?
Last I heard, he was tack-welding a rebar grid directly to the bed and spraying Gunite over it.

Rusty
Old 10-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Banned

God I would pay money to see that!!!

Quick Reply: Bed Liner - killing the paint