3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

BD Twins

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BD Twins

Well I finally did it, put together my BD towing twins. I bought the Super B first with the intensions of always getting the rest of the package. The Super B is a great turbo, towed over 10,000km with it and it worked great. But, between this site and Diesel Power mag I knew I wouldn't be happy until I had a set of twins(even a small set). I did the install with a friend, was great getting to know my truck, will do future mods that are within my abilities myself from now on. Anyhow, first impressions are huge, on start up the truck sounds quite different, you can really here the two turbos. I havn't pushed it too hard but it's a world of difference. I want to thank all on here who told me to do the install myself, and Pat and Chris at BD Power for hookin me up with the goods, and Malcolm at Harbour City Diesel for the great deal on the second turbo.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:10 PM

Loved my super b and loved my tow twins. Went with the R-700 upgrade and there is no noticble difference in lag and the acceleration is super smooth super strong and WOW at the top. Towing is great as well. Loved my tow twins and I know you will too. I made 575hp with them and theyn never skipped a beat towing and playing street lite to street lite. Good choice
Old 10-10-2008, 12:11 AM

Harbour City has been there thick and thin for me....It doesn't get any better than Malcolm Cross and his crew.

I loved my tow twins!

Here are a few dyno runs with the tow twins, the old Smarty Beta 4.4, and Flux 2.5's.
The Flux 2.5's are a bit much for the little twins, but it gives you a look at what is possible!
Properly tuned, the newer TNT(R) software would add another 30-50hp (more heat too).

Level 5
BD Twins-smarty-5-2.5sticks-3rdgear.jpg

Level 9
BD Twins-smarty-9-2.53rdgear.jpg

We later determined that level 7 made the most power, but never dynod it again.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:14 AM

Thanks for the input, ya Malcolm has been a great source of knowledge for me, I use my truck mostly for towing so I think I made the right choice. But the power bug bites hard and in time my truck could easily end up runnin at the drags.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:18 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 on the props for Malcolm, he helped me a lot in my decision on what twins to go with.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ridiculies
Thanks for the input, ya Malcolm has been a great source of knowledge for me, I use my truck mostly for towing so I think I made the right choice. But the power bug bites hard and in time my truck could easily end up runnin at the drags.
THe power bug always hit hard. You did make the right choice. Great towing turbo that supports some good HP if set up correctly with the supportiong mods. Just don't over fuel them then temps get toasty quick. I had that issue went to the R-700 and temps are great and towing is very similar to the tow twins but cooler and the top end is freakishly awsome. All in all good choice and at least you have the peace of mind that you can grow if needed to the R-700.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:18 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to see it finally all worked out for you. When that power bug hits it sure is great to have people you can get excellent information from. Malcom is one of those guys. He knows his stuff and it shows.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:27 PM

Rid,

You said Malcom got you a great deal.....so how much are we talking about after all was said and done?
Old 10-10-2008, 03:46 PM

When I talked with Malcolm he asked me what I wanted from my truck, and from that we decided on the towing twins from BD because I could get one part of the package and then later on upgrade to the twins. Which is what I did, I drove with the Super B for about six months ,took a 10,000km trip towing 10,000lbs and because my greed for more power I finally bucked up for the rest of the package. Not sure which way is the best for a deal, maybe contact Pat -kantdrive55- and see, he gave me a good price on all the piping and hardware to make the project come together. I told Malcolm I had always wanted to upgrade so he had the second charger on hold for me at his shop. It seems someone is always wanting more and their hand offs are our good fortune. PM me if you want to know #'s.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:00 PM
O.T

Jamie, those numbers with the BD towing twins are one of a kind.
I had the same set up with big sticks and the best I ran was a 575 on a 248 dynojet.
Making over 700 with the towing twins is not all that realistic.
I have yet to see a truck that makes numbers on a dynocom repeat the same on a dynojet or Mustang.

I will say they perform very well for what they are designed for.

But hey my experience is only one of many!
Rob
Old 10-10-2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Snapoff
Here are a few dyno runs with the tow twins, the old Smarty Beta 4.4, and Flux 2.5's.
The Flux 2.5's are a bit much for the little twins, but it gives you a look at what is possible!
Properly tuned, the newer TNT(R) software would add another 30-50hp (more heat too).
You must have the magic motor setup. DUKCALN couldn't get your Towing Twin numbers with his R-700 upgrade. Just about everything I've read and heard says 600hp is pushing the limit of the tow twins. Even with twin pumps, 90hp sticks, MP-8 maxed, and TNT-R on 7, my hp limit is right there at 600. What's the secret? Do you think putting Flux 2.5+ injectors in place of my 90hp injectors would add that 100hp you were able to achieve?
Old 10-10-2008, 07:50 PM
O.T

Originally Posted by PhilR
You must have the magic motor setup. DUKCALN couldn't get your Towing Twin numbers with his R-700 upgrade. Just about everything I've read and heard says 600hp is pushing the limit of the tow twins. Even with twin pumps, 90hp sticks, MP-8 maxed, and TNT-R on 7, my hp limit is right there at 600. What's the secret? Do you think putting Flux 2.5+ injectors in place of my 90hp injectors would add that 100hp you were able to achieve?
600 is what they are rated for and that will be about all you will get. If you want more hp than 600 you need to look at their bigger set or another company
Old 10-10-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by onetun
Jamie, those numbers with the BD towing twins are one of a kind.
I had the same set up with big sticks and the best I ran was a 575 on a 248 dynojet.
Making over 700 with the towing twins is not all that realistic.
I have yet to see a truck that makes numbers on a dynocom repeat the same on a dynojet or Mustang.

I will say they perform very well for what they are designed for.

But hey my experience is only one of many!
Rob
I've heard that comment before, but I do have a bit of supporting info for you.

I was seeing over 70psi of boost.

Aaron dynod his Bullydog truck on Malcolm's Dynocom this summer.
He was 15Hp low of his dynojet numbers.....Pretty accurate if you ask me.

Malcolm ran back to back 13 flat with the identical setup to mine. Malcolm says his Mega cab with tool box and whatever weighs 8200 pounds.
Plug in the numbers, but as you can plainly see there is no way a 575hp truck can run a 13.00
http://www.race-cars.net/calculators/et_calculator.html

Before I had dual CP3's I dynod beside a guy running DDP 90's (with dual CP3's) with an otherwise identical setup to mine. I made another 85hp more same dyno same day and I did it with 17Kpsi rail pressure....I made 722 after I installed another CP3.
I dug the other guys run out of my emails for comparison
BD Twins-justin-ddp-90-dual-cp3.jpg

Just curious, but what was your exact tow twin setup Rob?
Old 10-10-2008, 08:20 PM
O.T

Originally Posted by Snapoff
I've heard that comment before, but I do have a bit of supporting info for you.

I was seeing over 70psi of boost.

Aaron dynod his Bullydog truck on Malcolm's Dynocom this summer.
He was 15Hp low of his dynojet numbers.....Pretty accurate if you ask me.

Malcolm ran back to back 13 flat with the identical setup to mine. Malcolm says his Mega cab with tool box and whatever weighs 8200 pounds.
Plug in the numbers, but as you can plainly see there is no way a 575hp truck can run a 13.00
http://www.race-cars.net/calculators/et_calculator.html

Before I had dual CP3's I dynod beside a guy running DDP 90's (with dual CP3's) with an otherwise identical setup to mine. I made another 85hp more same dyno same day and I did it with 17Kpsi rail pressure....I made 722 after I installed another CP3.
I dug the other guys run out of my emails for comparison
Attachment 24252

Just curious, but what was your exact tow twin setup Rob?
Jamie I was in Edmonton and witnessed Aarons runs. I call BS on towing twins making over 700hp. This argument comes from me on the dyno over 30 times trying to achieve 600. But hey maybe it was my bad luck.

Flux 3.5's, Stage 2 Floor it pump, Smarty beta 4.2,
Old 10-11-2008, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by onetun
Jamie I was in Edmonton and witnessed Aarons runs. I call BS on towing twins making over 700hp. This argument comes from me on the dyno over 30 times trying to achieve 600. But hey maybe it was my bad luck.

Flux 3.5's, Stage 2 Floor it pump, Smarty beta 4.2,
Not trying to pick a fight, but here is no way a stage 2 could support Flux 3.5's.....A stage 2 can't support 2.5's for that matter.

I believe the Smarty 4.2 would hit the 3.5's too hard over-fueling the setup as soon as you dropped the hammer. This would cause poor initial roller acceleration then just as it got going the pump would fall off and the 4.2 would run out of rpms.....Killing what little was left of the run....

You can see from my (concave) dyno curves that even the Smarty 4.4 and Flux 2.5's were over-fueling the little turbos.

Was that your first setup or something?

All in fun!

Quick Reply: BD Twins