3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

BD Steering Brace

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not here. I would say if it is leaking it was alreday on its way out. I can't imagine the brace would cause any leaking at all because all it does is support that shaft.
Did you check the install? do you have it in any kind of a bind condition?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:59 PM

psc brace 149 shipped made a big diff
Old 01-14-2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by BIGDAN65
psc brace 149 shipped made a big diff
Where at for that price? Cheapest I have found was $169 plus $25 for shipping???
Old 01-14-2009, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by D45
PSC=$149 shipped to my door
Where at for that price? Cheapest I have found was $169 plus $25 for shipping???
Old 01-14-2009, 05:06 PM

Should give the business to the folks that designed it originally...DSS.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:57 PM

installed mine today. simple and only took about 30 minutes. drove the trk around and it seems to be somewhat firmer/stable. much betta
Old 01-14-2009, 06:36 PM

Biggest difference that I can tell.... Defiant is a one piece construction, flat stock, has a lower profile and tucks up to the frame a little nicer. Most of the others are made from square stock, probably a little stronger due to being stiffer and have mounting tabs welded to the ends, they are a little more visible. All will do the same job equally as well, and any of them would be better than none.

mrblond, have had the Defiant brace on my truck since April 08, no leaks and all is well.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a steering stabilizer and it helped some what with the death wobble, but I'm going to buy the steering brace soon. How was the install, do you have to remove the steering pump or does it bolt up next to it?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:16 PM

i personaly went with the orignal Brace built by Solid Steel industries in Weyburn, Saskatchewan. Well build and worth every dollar
Old 01-15-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
Biggest difference that I can tell.... Defiant is a one piece construction, flat stock, has a lower profile and tucks up to the frame a little nicer. Most of the others are made from square stock, probably a little stronger due to being stiffer and have mounting tabs welded to the ends, they are a little more visible. All will do the same job equally as well, and any of them would be better than none.

mrblond, have had the Defiant brace on my truck since April 08, no leaks and all is well.

http://www.dtprofab.com/images/steering%20brace.jpg

Heres another config from DT.

james, I am checking around because the flat plate design seems to me if it flexes could tug or pull on the sector shaft. If this is true I expect to see some leakage through the bearing. But so far since I have been checking a couple of days ago no reports of leaks yet.

btw, from what I know about the maker the only testing on the flat plate design has been completed is in the field on customers trucks only.

Has anyone put the Defiant brace on a race truck? I think the DDS has been on a class 8.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesbfishin

I'm running the Defiant which enabled me to run his Rockshield. Both are solid products. Patent laws protect copycats. If you don't want somebody to copy your product,patent it.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:58 PM
D45

Originally Posted by dslpwr81
There is a suspension company that sells them on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-07...Q5fAccessories

Prices went up slightly from when I bought my brace last year. I paid $129 and $20 for shipping....
Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by D45
There is a suspension company that sells them on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-07...Q5fAccessories

Prices went up slightly from when I bought my brace last year. I paid $129 and $20 for shipping....
Just ordered one. Thanks. I hope it is a great as everyone says or your gonna get one of these .

Thanks Bud!

Jason
Old 01-15-2009, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The more I read about these braces, the more I think it's a good idea. The front end is naturally heavy. Bearings always last longer when mounted in double shear. A shaft just hanging out there in the air with all that weight hung on it is bound to fail - sooner rather than later.

I looked at all the ones mentioned above. One of things that caught my attention was the general design. My amature engineer brain believes that things should be braced in at least two dimensions.

PSS has a square bar, with mounting tabs welded on to each end. That's good, it should be pretty strong. But, the sector shaft plate is a long flat plate welded to the bottom of the square bar. It then extends from in front of sway bar to the sector shaft. That's kind of a long reach. No bracing at all.

DSS appears to be the same thing.

The advantage to these two are that they're inexpensive, and can easily be braced with some flat stock and a MIG welder.

Defiant is a flat stock, with a bent L bracket to hold the bearing. It appears to be significantly differant than the other two, in that the flat stock sits under the sway bar, and not in front of it. The L bracket, though just hangs there, and is not supported by anything. I know they developed this part. But even with additional bracing it just doesn't appear to be that strong.

The last is the DT ProFab. Round stock instead of square. Sits in front of the sway bar like the square ones. But, the extending bracket is curved, and braced in two dimensions; three if count the curve of the bracket. Although it's a little more expensive at $175, it appears to be the better made part. With the curves I would expect it to be a little stronger than the first three, even with additional bracing added to them.

I am clearly an amature, and I admit I don't know a lot about these trucks. Does this make sense? Or, am I over thinking it (again)? I admit I have a nasty tendancy to over-engineer anything I make. Everything I make ends up stronger (and heavier) than it really needs to be.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:07 PM

Hmmm, never heard of ProFab, here's the link:
http://www.dtprofab.com/DT_DODGE%201.htm

Quick Reply: BD Steering Brace