3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

BD Power Aux Lift Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BD Power Aux Lift Pump

Who runs this setup and how do you like it? What are your pressures like at idle and WOT? I see the kit installs without dropping the tank and leaves the stock pump in place and running. Between that and the price I think it sounds like a pretty good deal...assuming it works as advertised.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Banned

It works good for the price. I also paid the the extra $70 for the fuel pressure light indicator. My pressure at idle when tested was 20-21 and on WOT it was 13-14. The only con is. It is kinda loud (just for your info). You can hear the huming of the pump at idle or standing outside of the truck. It doesn't bother me anymore. Sounds like part of the truck now.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised you can hear it over the engine.

How does it work with the oil pressure sensor? Does the sensor just turn it on and off with the engine? Oil pressure seems like an odd way of controlling the pump when you can just tap into a 12V switched wire somewhere.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:24 PM

Get a Glacier...

I have tried them all...BD kit is just a repackaged Carter.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Banned

Your right it is a Carter Pump. Forgot to mention that.

When you start your engine your pump won't kick on until about five seconds or so on cold start ups. So you don't have hard starts. Then it stays on.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:14 PM

It works good for the price. My pressure at idle 23 and on WOT it 17. My repackaged Carter pump is NOT loud. If I stand outside the truck by the drivers door I can barley hear it. Inside I can't hear it at all, have to check the fuel pressure guage to be sure it's running. I would advise you to spend $7 and add a in-line strainer as I did. One of the biggest problems with the Carter pumps is any little crap gets in them and they get loud and fail. Other than that, it works good for the money.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

So since it will start without the aux pump, will the stocker still be able to push fuel through if the BD/Carter pump was to fail or would you be stranded?

Anyone running the BD/Carter pump with a GDP 2 micron filter setup?
Old 05-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

AlCorr-
W/ the strainer, do you have to do any maintenance to it (Change it out overtime or clean it out every so often)? Also you say you can't hear it. Mine from day 1 you can hear it when it's working. Just slight huming of the pump. I wonder if the pump is bad out of the box. I go in acouple of weeks and replace my Exhuast Manifold w/ the BD Manifold where I got my Aux. Lift Pump was installed. Have to ask or put a filter or strainer in between the tank and Aux. Lift Pump.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:30 PM

What Kind Of Presure Do The Fass Or Others Have??

And Will It Flow Enough, If You Have More Than ONE Chip, BIGGER InjectorS Or A MOD. Cp3 Pump?

WHATS THE PRICE ON ONE OF THESE'S?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:38 PM

You get what you pay for...

The BD kit is a dead headed Carter...it will not last as long as a deadheaded Holley Blue...50k max IMHO.

No bypass regulator...and marginal flow compared to a Walbro Pump.

Heck...if you pieced together your own kit with the Walbro...similar to the stripped down BD kit...you would have it for less. $150-175 max.

I have been down this road...and wasted my time and money. Get a Glacier kit...
Old 05-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Banned

What method does the GDP system use to prevent hard starts from overpressure?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:17 PM

The same method that OEM design does...the pump is fired by a relay that is switched by the OEM lift pump 12+.

Works flawless...
Old 05-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

Nice...thx for the info.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:21 PM

Hey GUys,
How do these pumps work as compared to the Fass that I have (95 gpm) on my 98.5 that I was planning on removing and installing it on my 03?
Where are you guys buying the Glacier or Carter pumps, and how much do they cost?
Thanks,
Topper
Old 05-16-2007, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by firemansdodge
AlCorr-
W/ the strainer, do you have to do any maintenance to it (Change it out overtime or clean it out every so often)? Also you say you can't hear it. Mine from day 1 you can hear it when it's working. Just slight huming of the pump. I wonder if the pump is bad out of the box. I go in acouple of weeks and replace my Exhuast Manifold w/ the BD Manifold where I got my Aux. Lift Pump was installed. Have to ask or put a filter or strainer in between the tank and Aux. Lift Pump.

Yes, I change the strainer once a year, $7. (or sooner if I get some dirty fuel) it's a cheap fix to keep the pump from sucking any crap out of your tank. I use the same strainer that all those unhappy people use with their Glacier pump. Maybe if they used a strainer with the Carter pump the first time around, they wouldn't be so unhappy. There are pople out there that have had very good luck with the BD Aux. pump. I'm not sure what the cost of the Fleet guard diesel 3/8" inline strainer #FF5079, but I've been using the Baldwin #BF1173 is only $7. Also maybe it's my age and my hearing isn't that good but I don't hear the pump with window open, maybe cause I used the strainer from day one it's not loud.

What made me use a strainer from day one was, they will void the warranty on the Glacier system if you don't use one and after reading that I was thinking my stock lift pump on the fuel filter pulls 6-8psi. Now I'm going to install a pump down next to fuel tank pulling 18psi. together pulling 24psi. I would think that if there is any crap on the bottom of my fuel tank this new pump system would suck it right up. Made sense to me.

Quick Reply: BD Power Aux Lift Pump