3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

BD Outlook/TD combo, or Triple Dog GT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BD Outlook/TD combo, or Triple Dog GT?

For starters, this is a question for Bully Dog folks and is not a comparison with Smarty. I'm not asking whether you would buy a Smarty or BD. I'm not interested in a Smarty at all.

I have an Outlook monitor/Triple Dog combo. They are older models, but current program (v2.4.3) in the TD. The Outlook came with my truck (2005), which I bought a month ago. The TD is model #40500, which is the earlier model.

Due to some pleasant dealings recently with BD, they have offered me a deal on a Triple Dog GT. One I can hardly refuse. However, it involves sending them my combo in exchange. I am pretty happy with my Outlook/BD combo, and I am aware that I can try the various Crazy Larry programs available on it and that the CL programs are not available for the GT. I'm not sure that's a big deal for me, since I don't plan to "bomb" my truck. I will do some upgrades as I go along, replacing stock items with aftermarket as the need arises (ie maybe 50hp nozzles when my stock ones wear out, and eventually an upgraded turbo, but nothing terribly wild), but I will mostly be using the truck as a daily driver and for towing a 5er around. I'm a kid at heart and love to accessorize my vehicles, but I'm not going to make this an arena truck. I'm more interested in mpg than hp, although many have said they are not mutually exclusive (up to a point).

The $64 million question: Would you trade the combo for the GT? Why or why not?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:39 PM

Man! No help at all? Got one PM that advised me to keep the TD. Nobody with a TD GT want to chime in?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:38 AM

Never mind. Kept the Triple Dog/Outlook combo.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the process of choosing between these two items myself. What made you stick with the BDTD w/ Outlook combo?
Old 11-26-2010, 08:57 AM

I've had the GT for about three weeks now and dont think i could be much happier with it. The only prob i've had is that it has thrown my speedo of about 5 miles an hour on the highway.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by nedz19
I've had the GT for about three weeks now and dont think i could be much happier with it. The only prob i've had is that it has thrown my speedo of about 5 miles an hour on the highway.
you can adjust that out. its under vehicle options i think. dont have a gt handy to confirm this.

for me the td/outlook vs gt question especially for you dodge guys is a question on what you want to do with the truck.

the tdog you will be able to install the larry files onto it. where currently the GT CL files are not available, and will not be available for registered trucks.

also the GT is WAY easier to install.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:17 AM

Personally I'm looking for a little better performance to increase ecocomy. My truck is a DD and I'm pretty good about keeping my foot out of it, I also don't want to send the tranny to an early grave.
My main interest is in the monitoring capabilities and since BD doesn't make the outlook anymore (right?) I can't get a good description of what information it provides to compare it to the GT.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 AM

I stuck with the BDTD simply because I already had the Outlook Monitor mounted on the pillar with the custom housing. Had I gone with the GT I would have had to buy the pillar mount cover and get it painted to match my interior. Besides, the TD allowed me to try out the older "Crazy Larry" tunes, while there are no such tunes for the GT.

I sometimes wish I had gone with the GT. I tried the CL tunes on my truck and it was a lot of fun, but eventually I became more conscious about the tons of black smoke I was emitting every time I hit the loud pedal the slightest amount (most of my driving is semi-rural/around town). I went back to a less hot tune recommended by BD. The newer tunes put out by BD won't work on my truck with the BD. I get a "Vehicle not recognized" error message.

If you are making the choice now, and performance AND economy is your goal, I'd go with the GT.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by jtiffany78
Personally I'm looking for a little better performance to increase ecocomy. My truck is a DD and I'm pretty good about keeping my foot out of it, I also don't want to send the tranny to an early grave.
My main interest is in the monitoring capabilities and since BD doesn't make the outlook anymore (right?) I can't get a good description of what information it provides to compare it to the GT.
our regular tunes are pretty tranny safe. we usually dont hear any problems except from the people running the crazy larry tunes.

You are right, we no longer make the outlook monitor, but we still support it and you can buy them from dealers across the country. from my experience of having both on my personal truck id go with the GT tuner.. the ease of installation alone sells itself
Old 12-02-2010, 08:57 AM

Thanks Jason,
I guess my other question is about the foot print it leaves behind. A dealer here in KS said that BD remaps the trucks computer, therefore leaves evidence of metaling even after returning it to stock settings.

The dealer also said that Edge Juice w/ attitude doesn't remap the computer but interprets the informatation after it leaves the trucks computer, therefore not leaving any evidence. Unless of course I drill holes for EGT and whatever physical mounting evidence.

Having just learned I still have 45K miles on my Cummins warranty I don't want to ruin that.
There seems to be a lot of different opinions out there as to what leaves a trace and how it works. Would you mind clearing that up once and for all for me??

Thanks again,
Justin