3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

BD Max Flow In tank Retro Fit Fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BD Max Flow In tank Retro Fit Fix

I know it may be common kknowledge for some but I get the question a lot about how to eliminate the OEM intank lift pump.

We do have a very basic kit that we sell with the BD Max Flow kit. It can be order seperatley from the Max Flow kit as well and comes with great pictorial intructions.

We are manufacturing the metal tube pick-up instead of the rubber hose for quality reasons but the rubber hose that is supplied with the kit works just fine.

Dodge 98-04.5 with in tank lift pumps kits
P/N 1050302
Old 09-07-2008, 09:57 AM

Dave,

I'm currently researching alternatives to my exist fuel supply system on my 01 5.9 (before my IP gets destroyed by lack of fuel). I have reviewed FASS and AirDog before coming across your post. A lot of these users seem to be dealing with or reworking items to deal with the 1/4 tank problem. They also suggest bypassing the stock filter canister (I'd prefer not to).

Does your kit completely replace the intank pump?
Does you kit to replace the intank pump experience the 1/4 tank issue? Does you kit come with the metal tube or is it an additional option?

Additionally, the pump states 10 psi (if I read it correctly). Is this continuous or just at idle. What could I expect the pressure to drop to at WOT?

Thanks for your help....
Old 09-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

If you order the in tank retro kit, yes it will eliminate the in-tank kit retro completely. The metal tube pick up is not finished being manufactured so we just include a rubber tube at this time, that's all that is needed but we do want to eventually improve the quality and go with the metal tube, about 3-4 weeks away I am told.

I agree that you should not need to bypass the factory filter.

The pump will run at about 18-19PSI at idle but should never drop below 10PSI even at wide open throttle, at 10PSI it will sustain 150GPH, and is capable of 165GPH.

Are you referring to the 1/4 tank issues related with the pick up tube not sitting deep enough in the pick up bowl? If so, yes we do correct that problem, our pick up tube reaches the bottom of the tank.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave@BD Power
If you order the in tank retro kit, yes it will eliminate the in-tank kit retro completely. The metal tube pick up is not finished being manufactured so we just include a rubber tube at this time, that's all that is needed but we do want to eventually improve the quality and go with the metal tube, about 3-4 weeks away I am told.

I agree that you should not need to bypass the factory filter.

The pump will run at about 18-19PSI at idle but should never drop below 10PSI even at wide open throttle, at 10PSI it will sustain 150GPH, and is capable of 165GPH.

Are you referring to the 1/4 tank issues related with the pick up tube not sitting deep enough in the pick up bowl? If so, yes we do correct that problem, our pick up tube reaches the bottom of the tank.
I dont see the retrofit kit on your web site. Is there a number for it?
Old 09-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nitrousn
I dont see the retrofit kit on your web site. Is there a number for it?

No it is not on the website yet, you will be able to see it when the metal tube upgrade is available. Our bay came up with this to get around the in tank kits here so we decided to offer it as a part number and upgrade later to a metal pick up.

It is a pretty basic kit that most of you could do at home with the (rubber hose option) I can e-mail you instructions if you like.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:04 AM

this may be a bit off subject but why do they have them in-tank and external is there a difference in year, tranny, model, etc.?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally they were all external on the block 99-02

Chrysler finally recognized what after market always knew... the OEM lift pump mounted on the block was a bad idea, its a pusher pump. If you have problems with it, which eventually you will, they will "upgrade" you to an in-tank kit. It is not an upgrade at all, when it fails, and it will, you have to drop the tank to fix it. This is why you see so many after market, frame rail mounted pumps on the market and failed injections pumps due to fuel starvation.

Hope this clears is up for you.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:11 PM

Can you include me in your list when the kit is ready? I have the In Tank pump and would like to change it out along with adding a fuel pressure and trans temp gauge. I don't think i will need pyro or boost as i am leaving the 02 2500 24V CTD stock.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:57 AM

how do you fix the pickup? cant run the hose right to the bottom of the tank.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by raydi07
Can you include me in your list when the kit is ready? I have the In Tank pump and would like to change it out along with adding a fuel pressure and trans temp gauge. I don't think i will need pyro or boost as i am leaving the 02 2500 24V CTD stock.
The kit is available now, if you are referring to the metal tube it should be available by the end of November.

Originally Posted by 2500CTD
how do you fix the pickup? cant run the hose right to the bottom of the tank.
The tube goes into the reservoir inside the tanks which remains full from the fuel sloshing around and the return line into the fuel basket, so even if the tank is low the tube will still pick up, in testing we ran the truck to a close to empty as possible and it did not hiccup one bit!
Old 09-20-2008, 08:10 PM

I have an 03 with the pump up at the filter. Sorry about the question but I am a little confused. Is this kit like a Fass or an Airdog? Does it do filtration plus air separation? Since my pump isn't in the tank,is there different kit of some sort that is for my application? Looking to upgrade as soon as I get my truck back from the dealor, the fuel pump still works (how good is another question) but the c3p failed right if front of their showroom!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mad1
I have an 03 with the pump up at the filter. Sorry about the question but I am a little confused. Is this kit like a Fass or an Airdog? Does it do filtration plus air separation? Since my pump isn't in the tank,is there different kit of some sort that is for my application? Looking to upgrade as soon as I get my truck back from the dealor, the fuel pump still works (how good is another question) but the c3p failed right if front of their showroom!!!
The kit is similar to FASS and Airdog but flows more and is much quieter! We run it through the OEM filter and do not see the need to use an air separator. Your CP3 pressurizes the air, why would you need to remove air from pressurized fuel? Don't be sold on snake oil.