3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
View Poll Results: what to do with the exhaust
leave it alone
0%
BD 4" S/S Turbo back kit, no cat
8.33%
cat delete pipe and 51" Nelson on stock pipes
8.33%
something else?
83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

BD 4" S/S Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BD 4" S/S Exhaust?

Excuse if this has already been covered but I couldnt find any info through the search.

Has anyone used BD's Cat delete turbo back S/S Exhaust kit before and how do they compare to stock and other aftermarket kits for sound? Around here they seem to be good value. I am looking to free up the exhaust flow a bit while keeping the sound volume down and also lose the cat as the truck will have extended idle periods (up to 12 hours during the cold months). I am also considering just replacing the cat with a delete pipe and adding a more free flowing muffler like a 51" Nelson which seems to be popular on these boards. It is a work truck. Any opinions?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would save my money on the stainless steel system. You already have 4" mandrel-bent pipe from the turbo back with the stock exhaust so if you ditch the cat and replace the muffler you basically have the same thing for a lot less money except its not stainless. Your stock system should have several years of life in it though before you have to worry about it rusting away. When that happens- the stainless system isnt a bad idea. Xtremediesel and Geno's both carry a cat delete pipe I think for around 60-70 dollars. As far as muffler options im sure you will get millions of different opinions. I lost mine Hope i helped at least a little.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:28 PM

Hmmm, I have an 03 and its 409 SS from the factory. I don't like the 51inch myself....I have a nice 28"/34" 4" Donaldson or Nelson NIB that I'll never use since I'm 5".PM. For my 5" I bought the 51" cut it down to size and rewelded it...sounds great and no drone. ks
Old 10-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Banned

These companies must have great marketing. There's ton's of new CTD owners out there chomping at the bit to replace their factory 4" mandrel bent exhaust for a after market 4" stainless mandrel bent system?????

Since you dont want a loud system and no drone I would leave well enough alone. It seems that with exhaust and mufflers not everyone is always happy with the end result be it too loud, or drone.

I'd leave the cat and if your itching for a louder system then just replace the muffler.

You know there is little to none HP gain from changing your system on a stock truck?

Goodluck
Old 10-24-2006, 02:22 PM

I hear you on the merits of keeping the fine functioning factory pipes. Hard not to be attracted to bits of shiny stuff like a crow. I think I will remove (and save) the cat and possibly swap to a less restrictive but still reasonably quiet muffler (if there is such a thing). Not interested in breaking any horsepower records, I just want to pep it up a little and keep it durable. Will do an airbox mod/upgrade, the exhaust, and a mild setting on the smarty. Thats about it, hopefully. BTW the truck scales out at 12,000lbs currently. May try and lighten it up by a couple of hundred pounds.