3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Bankspeed Diesel Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bankspeed Diesel Tuner?

Anyone familiar or use the new BankSpeed Diesel Tuner for race built engines?

There's very little info about it on their website except it is used mainly for engines with big injectors, dual pumps, modified cams and pistons, twin turbos, et cetera.

I once owned the regular Banks Power PDA system. It was okay for moderate performance, but nothing more (nothing like a Smarty, that is).

I also saw this new system used on a race application which aired on Two Guys Garage. Quite interesting what Banks does to make his stuff work right.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:32 PM

from JBarker-BanksPower (supporting vendor) on the dieselplace forum:

Have the need for more power then the standard system or do you want to write your own tunes? No problem, for those of you that already own a six gun system you will be able to add our new BankSpeed system along with it. This will allow you to start with a base line tune that comes straight from our race shop and allows you to infinatly adjust it as you see fit with NO LAPTOP required. For example if you have the supporting mods I will set you up with a tune that makes over 1300hp! And yes you will be able to remove the speed limiter and control ALL aspects of your truck. Hope this helps
Old 08-04-2008, 09:33 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like the VanAaken C5... except maybe it will work...

Actually, when I still HAD the six-gun and was inquiring about this and actually had a question about tuning out the boost defueling codes (six-gun defuels at about 42psi) I was told no because I had an early six-gun and not the god almighty PDA so they would not touch it... that came from Gale himself... so to heck with em as far as I am concerned if it works or not.

I'll still put my trust in Marco and smarty over Banks... he's got some more good stuff up his sleeve to be out before too long...

Bob W.?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:27 AM

I wouldnt buy anything from Banks just because of there attitude toward competetors and how they do business. Dirty Dirty business.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:19 AM

Unfortunately I sold my old PDA Power System. If I need it to run alongside this new Bankspeed tuner I guess I'll never get to try it.

Changing power on the fly was great, though, when I had the banks.

One thing I heard was that this new system does more than one injection into the cyclinder at a time: a small initial one to get the burn going and then larger ones to send the power home. And this may be why there is less smoke with Banks.

Not that smoke is bad. I kind of like it when showing off. But power without smoke means less fuel wasted. I like that idea too.

Also, Banks states he's creating power without damaging results. One being that his system doesn't create as much cylinder pressure like the competition. Thus, no special head gaskets or orings needed. If true, I like this even more.

I'll never part with my Smarty. But I may try something else if its new and improved.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:06 AM

i am not sure on the banks set up i did have a 6 gun. it was the first thing to come off the truck. i would like to ask you Moobesor how do you like the BD 700 twin set up?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:31 AM

I've got the Banks 6 shooter with PDA and I'd like to know more about this Banks Speed unit. Just may have to call the tech line...
Old 08-05-2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Moobesor
Unfortunately I sold my old PDA Power System. If I need it to run alongside this new Bankspeed tuner I guess I'll never get to try it.

Changing power on the fly was great, though, when I had the banks.

One thing I heard was that this new system does more than one injection into the cyclinder at a time: a small initial one to get the burn going and then larger ones to send the power home. And this may be why there is less smoke with Banks.

Not that smoke is bad. I kind of like it when showing off. But power without smoke means less fuel wasted. I like that idea too.

Also, Banks states he's creating power without damaging results. One being that his system doesn't create as much cylinder pressure like the competition. Thus, no special head gaskets or orings needed. If true, I like this even more.

I'll never part with my Smarty. But I may try something else if its new and improved.
Your truck already has a pilot shot and a main shot in the injection sequence. That is nothing new that they have done. Our trucks already have 2 or more injection events. The 04.5 and up have a 3rd injection event as well.

This thing sounds cool but I gotta wonder if it will do the usual Banks thing and be very expensive and make half the power of the higher level tuners.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by RD TRCTR
I've got the Banks 6 shooter with PDA and I'd like to know more about this Banks Speed unit. Just may have to call the tech line...
Oh if you want to talk to somebody at banks you will need to call the sales line. Nobody answers the tech line.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:32 PM
tcr

Because of their customer support, I'd never purchase from BANKS again, especially their electronics! I had the 6gun/spd ldr combo, I still have the intake.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Banks salesman feed off your knowledge you give them, if you act vulnerable they will definitely lead you on, but if you come with no BS, they will get cocky with you, at least in my experiences with them. It wasn't enjoyable, and the power just wasn't there.

Let this product stew for awhile, let the guinea pigs who don't do their research and frequent DTR try it out. We'll know soon enough.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:33 PM

The whole injection event thing is just like Banks to be "OHHHH we re-invented the way your diesel runs completely" and they didnt do a dang thing. Dirty Dirty sales, and the people who dont know any better are getting the shaft the whole way.

Like Rip said lets just wait for the pigs....
Old 08-05-2008, 03:53 PM

wow, this would be a first- intense Banks bashing on a product that hasn't even been released yet.
i'm waiting for someone to chime in on how this yet to be released product hasn't given him the advertised hp and how he only bought it because the Banks sales rep tricked him into giving up his credit card #.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chipmonk
wow, this would be a first- intense Banks bashing on a product that hasn't even been released yet.
i'm waiting for someone to chime in on how this yet to be released product hasn't given him the advertised hp and how he only bought it because the Banks sales rep tricked him into giving up his credit card #.

Just give it time, o impatient one!!! Give it time.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Chapter President

Uhhhh still ya gotta wonder if they finally said "guys we here better step it up because the masses have figured out our low HP stuff suck". Maybe, maybe not. If it does what is advertised it should be a hit. Like say, we will see.

Quick Reply: Bankspeed Diesel Tuner?