3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Banks Systems

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Systems

Hello Everyone,

I was thinking about installing a Banks system on my 2006 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x2 and was wondering why I have never seen a user on this website with one installed. Is there an issue with the Banks systems? Also I was wondering if anyone on here that has a Banks system would post a review on this thread of their Banks system because I cannot find any on other websites...

Thanks,
fordtractorman
:charger:
Old 07-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The Banks products are designed for minimal gains and expensive for what you get for the money. There are better products to be had for less money is the general consensus.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello FTM,
There have been guys on here that have dyno'ed their trucks with no intake and no exhaust and found absolutely no power increase. So I think putting on an intake and an exhaust is a waste of money unless you want to make your truck louder.

That leaves a programmer left, and most have found the Smarty jr to be an awesome unit. More power and better mileage. Ask any Smarty jr owner and you'll get the same review.

Banks is a lot of money and hype IMHO.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:05 AM

I agree with Larry and Lost Lake here...

I have the Banks intake on my truck (and although I have no complaints at all with the performance of this product, I do feel after knowing what I know now...I would have gone with a homemade kit or a cheaper intake)

As for programming...after A LOT of researching on multiple forums and sites in general I went with smarty JR and could not be happier!!

Everyone I have talked to about the Banks programming says the same thing..."Not a lot of punch for the money" and it seems that the Banks programming doesn't allow for SMOOTH consistant power through the throttle (like Smarty does). It seems to have a "power band" all at once at a higher RPM (round 22200-2300 rpm).

In short, if you want the best performance for your money, I would go Smarty JR for programming and go with a cheaper paper filter for your intake. Heck, a lot of guys even say that the stock air-intake set-up is fine unless your pushing big power! Again, just my
Old 07-29-2011, 10:14 AM

Banks Systems

The thing is... I am not looking for rip yoir face off power, just something to give it a little more umph... And I like the Banks iQ that they have... What are some other programmers, intakes, exhaust, and turbo systems that you all like?

Thanks,
fordtractorman
Old 07-29-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by fordtractorman
The thing is... I am not looking for rip yoir face off power, just something to give it a little more umph... And I like the Banks iQ that they have... What are some other programmers, intakes, exhaust, and turbo systems that you all like?

Thanks,
fordtractorman
You should look at some of my old post....

I was the exact same (not looking for HUGE power, just something that wakes up the truck a little) Smarty JR did for me just that...and you can modify it to be as mild or aggresive as you like with TQ management and Timing settings. I will admit that these diesel upgrades are a slippery slope and now I find myself wanting to make additional upgrades where origionally I thought, "I'll be done after the programmer"!

Don't get me wrong...it's your truck and you have to be comfortable with your decision. I am just lending you some of my experience with my buddies that have gone that route and then realized what I had in the Smarty JR. Finding themselves wondering why they spent that kind of money for minimal results.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:47 AM

the bully dog power pup is a good unit. it makes good power and is fairly cheap. im pleased with mine
Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM

Go Smarty Jr., you can thank us later... Banks is a bunch bull edit...
Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 PM

Also consider where you live and register your truck. Are there smog checks in place now or will there be in the future...how easy is it to remove or is it on the CARB list if you live in Cali...good ole government is doing to diesels what it did to the muscle cars of the past...
Old 07-29-2011, 07:16 PM

The only thing i have seen from banks that i did purchase, was there stainless exhaust, that at the time was the only lifetime warr. and is very well made. Everything else is way to pricey for what you get. There exhaust has the elbow built into the downpipe.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by fordtractorman
Hello Everyone,

I was thinking about installing a Banks system on my 2006 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x2 and was wondering why I have never seen a user on this website with one installed. Is there an issue with the Banks systems? Also I was wondering if anyone on here that has a Banks system would post a review on this thread of their Banks system because I cannot find any on other websites...

Thanks,
fordtractorman
:charger:
------------------
Lary and the other Members here are giving you good advice.

Banks Products are OVERPRICED, and do not deliver the kind of performance many of the other diesel performance products do. As the Members said, try
Smarty, Bullydog or even Superchips.

--------
John_P
Old 07-29-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Banks has perfected sensationalism and smoke-and-mirrors in their advertizing and a LOT of people on this site have fallen for it, at one time or another. That's why you don't see much about banks. I fell for it once and I learned my lesson well. My Diablo Predator was perfected on the 03 HO, just like some other mfgrs did when the 305 CR came out. It works flawlessly on mine but I don't know diddly about how they work on an 06. Best thing to do is homework and more homework til you figure out which adders will do what you want, on your year CTD. Free flowing exh. is good on any year. A lot of guys like the donaldson 51" muffler - it's not too loud. Save the intake mods for last - they're the least cost effective. Your stock turbo should be fine if all you want is a little more suds. Craig
Old 07-30-2011, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by C Schomer
Banks has perfected sensationalism and smoke-and-mirrors in their advertizing and a LOT of people on this site have fallen for it, at one time or another. That's why you don't see much about banks. I fell for it once and I learned my lesson well. My Diablo Predator was perfected on the 03 HO, just like some other mfgrs did when the 305 CR came out. It works flawlessly on mine but I don't know diddly about how they work on an 06. Best thing to do is homework and more homework til you figure out which adders will do what you want, on your year CTD. Free flowing exh. is good on any year. A lot of guys like the donaldson 51" muffler - it's not too loud. Save the intake mods for last - they're the least cost effective. Your stock turbo should be fine if all you want is a little more suds. Craig

C Schomer,

I am curious about your battery relocation thing... What does that do? Or did you have to do that for one of your upgrades???

Thanks,
fordtractorman
Old 07-30-2011, 01:48 AM

Forum,

I forgot to tell you all that I wanted something "change-on-the-fly". Are the Smartys change on the fly??? And how do these kits install? Do they hook into the OBD2 ports or inline with the trucks wiring harnesses? And what do you all think of the Edge Products Cummins Juice w/ Attitude CTS? Is it any good? It is in about the same price range as the Banks Six Gun / Economind Programmers...
Old 07-30-2011, 02:00 AM

Forum,

Yeah, I know... Too many questions. But I have another. Does anybody know anything about the Banks torque converter? Or all torque converters for that matter...

Thanks,
fordtractorman

Quick Reply: Banks Systems