3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Banks Super Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 12:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My question is what kind of filter is that I see. It looks like a K&N. If it is not an AFE filter I would not use it. The reason is because of filtering abiltiy. I hope you did oil samples before checking the silica levels. If you have not I would for sure do some oil samples with the new filter installed.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Topper
I have it on my 06 and like it very much. It doesn't pull air from inside of the fender unless you want it to. See there is a door that you can open in the side of the air box to allow air from inside of the fender. This is good for the winter time so if you go through deep snow and plug the scoop the truck will still run. (I remove the door at the beginning of winter and close it in the spring) As for thr rain the scoop has an opening in the back so the rain will pass right through. I really like the scope and would highly recommend it.
Take care guys,
Topper
Quick question: If you were to leave the door off all the time, would it not force more air into the chamber (from both the scoop and the fender, instead of just one)?

Or does leaving the fender door open just create some sort of vacuum affect that defeats the purpose of the scoop?
Old 10-04-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i really want to know if it is worth it horse power wise? i know what they say but what do you guys think is the scoop worth it?
Old 10-04-2009, 11:54 PM
I watch wind blow...

hey guys don't forget when ya have the scoop installed and you get on the dyno to have your buddy's run a leaf blower or two or three and maybe crack a bottle of nitrous into your scoop tube to give you that highway air flow affect.

The dyno number I WOULD REALLY LIKE to see would be a pull with out the blowers and a pull with. I would hope there to be a difference.

Rambunctious .
Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by JP-4.5
1985cuv
Have you looked at the Banks site? There are more than enough pictures of the Banks setup. They are from a Dodge as that is exactly what I was looking at when I did my install. I am not a picture taker...
http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/303/6

I would not mind to see how the Flatlander's design came out with a picture or 2?
I'll see if I can get a photo or two this weekend. I know I won't have any time until then. I knew I should have taken some when it was all apart to begin with.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:33 PM

I made my own "super scoop".

Used a 5 inch hole saw to the bottom of the aFe air box, mounted a toilet flange and attached some black, non-corrugated pipe to it. The pipe comes down to the bottom edge of the inner fender liner.

Definitely a difference. Mainly in highway mpg's.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:47 PM

so for your homemade one you dont need the scoop just some piping thanks
Old 10-07-2009, 05:57 AM

Like the PSM cold air kit...

http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Dodge/psmintakes.htm
Old 10-07-2009, 09:16 AM
I watch wind blow...

Originally Posted by JP-4.5
Cough, Highway robbery, Cough Cough. . .

That's just rediculously priced. Wouldn't non corrugated piping be the best??
Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 PM

Cough, Highway robbery, Cough Cough. . .

That's just rediculously priced. Wouldn't non corrugated piping be the best??

I don't think its that badly priced. Thats the same price I paid about 2 years ago. Its nice to see that they aren't ripping their customers off with overpriced merchandise.

I think its worth the price as it lowered my EGT's 50* across the board
Old 10-09-2009, 03:03 PM

Update?

EdmuntonCanada, any update on the intake with the scoop yet? Temps, photos ect? Great info so far.

Mike
Old 10-09-2009, 07:30 PM

im making a scoop the same as that one for 8 bucks not 109
Old 10-10-2009, 02:22 AM

I made something a little different than just a scoop. I bought a fan off of Ebay from one of the NASCAR sellers. It's used to get fresh air into the drivers compartment and also for brake cooling. I mounted it below my air filter and plumbed it with some 3" pvc down and 90ed just below the front air dam facing forward and used stainless screen to stop debris. I wired it to a relay with a switch inside. It moves some serious air (200cfm). Have no way of accurately measuring temperature difference. I think it cost me around $20 total and a few hours work.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:58 AM

And you turbo flows 8-900? A fresh air scoop is just that, a "fresh air" scoop. On a turbo/supercharge application it will not provide boost, just a cooler denser air charge, which is good. That is what is good for, on a supercharged engine, no more no less. Banks has a nice looking box, and it may indeed flow better than some or most, but guys, the turbo will suck in way more air than a scoop will ever force in! Take it for what it truly is, a way to get in COOL air into the engine.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:01 AM

right i dont think anyone is debating that. it just directs cooler air up to the filter it is not going to "Ram" no pun intended air into the turbo that already is sucking in air

Quick Reply: Banks Super Scoop