3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Banks Super Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Scoop For You!

Ok...got the Banks Installed but left out the Scoop, to test this system in stages.

The install was a piece of cake...I didn't even use the instructions except for the tip that the A/C line might need to be bent slightly out of the way to accomodate the box (which it did).

What I really liked about the install was there was no need for a second pair of hands. With the AFE there are two bolts w/lock nut for securing the AFE "box" to the truck. They're annoying to put on and get off. The bank system has threaded rubber grommets instead...no bolt to hold while tightening the nut. Just a bolt. Slick.

But wow. What a clean system the banks is. And as I expected from the instructions, it is a much better fitment. More solid and secure too...important for a diesel and for a truck. No air filters falling off on the Banks. And no bent fins trying to install the filter like I had with the AFE. I would also expect that with the Banks filter inside a sealed air box, the air filter will stay cleaner longer. (I had recently bought an AFE pre-filter...a little "skirt" that slips over the filter in an attempt to keep the filter cleaner for longer...highway robbery @ an extra $40 for a piece of nylon. )

So I took the truck out for a preliminary run in the 10 deg. C temperature and below is what I noticed:

1. The intake temperatures dropped incredibly fast to match the outside air temp when driving....much faster than the AFE system
2. Unlike the AFE, I didn't need to be driving above 60 km/h for the temperature to match the outside air temp.
3. At all times, the air temperature coming into the turbo much more closely matched (within a degree - I have digital gauges) the temperature just before the heater grid.
4. The Banks system sounds the same as the AFE

I'm in the truck all day tomorrow and in the evening I'll install the scoop. I'll post again tomorrow...
Old 10-02-2009, 03:52 AM

Good job Edmonton!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:17 PM

i don't know about anyone else, but this thread is worthless with out
PICS PICS PICS
Old 10-02-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah i want to see some pics but it is not worthless without them a lot of good info on here.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:37 PM

http://bankspower.com/products/show/271/3
Old 10-02-2009, 10:38 PM

Here's some ugly pics as I take out the AFE (cover is off). I'll post more this weekend from the install of the scoop.

You can see how dirty the AFE Filter skirt got after only a couple of weeks of use.

In the second picture you an see how the filter pleates got more and more bent from removal/install for cleanings/oilings. It never fit that great to begin with, the filter touching the box cover.

Th AFE is just a filter attached to the plasic tube, straight onto the turbo. No room for movemet/flex/vibration. Lots of gaps in the box too, namely at the front where the radiator (read: heat) is...
Attached Thumbnails Banks Super Scoop-ugly-1.jpg   Banks Super Scoop-ugly-2.jpg  
Old 10-03-2009, 01:31 PM
I watch wind blow...

I guess you could only use this with your factory bumper, I imagine it would look hideous with my ranch hand bumper. and a lot of folks end up breaking that plastic skirt off just below the metal on the bumper.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:45 PM

ok all this talk about cold air intakes got me jacked up so what did i do today? i took my old stock airbox and cut out the bottom got a 6 inch short 90 and fabbed my ****** whister in the old air box cut the top and it looks pretty good. seems to whistle a lot better and i am seeming to get better mileage according to the lie o meter kind of strange ill have to get some pics up tomorrow.

i was also wondering how high the banks scoop comes up? a pic with it without the box would be awesome like from under the hood thanks
Old 10-03-2009, 06:27 PM

Sorry so slow...but here are some pics of the Banks installed, so you can see the difference.

I'm installing the scoop tonight and will take pics of it all and post shotly.

You've correct about the bumper size too...when I called Banks they needed to know if I had the chrome or painted bumper...so anything else likely wouldn't work...although if the bumper was higher, maybe one could trim the top of the scoop that mates to the box...? I'll have to take a look at that on install.

I can see the benefit of adding a tube straight down from the stock air box. One problem with this could be that if the tube is exactly straight down in the air stream flowing under the vehicle, the passing air will aspirate the air OUT of the tube, rather than push it in. So at higher driving speed, maybe there would be a detriment rather than a benefit...

Then again, it might be "splitting hairs" too. I'll post a pic of the scoop to show it's design so you can see how it directs air inward.
Attached Thumbnails Banks Super Scoop-moto_0034.jpg   Banks Super Scoop-moto_0035.jpg   Banks Super Scoop-moto_0036.jpg  
Old 10-03-2009, 07:11 PM

I to got my airbox installed today. I am going to try and install the scoop in the AM. Was not in the mood to remove the inner fender well as I also have flares that I will most likely need to remove also as they attach in similar spots. Thought I might be able to get the scoop in with out doing this but once I had the part in my hand I could tell that would not be possible. Looks like it should work well. Sorry not a picture taker...
Old 10-03-2009, 07:11 PM

Curious if you monitored IAT temps with the open element set up prior and the banks system.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:23 PM

This all sure does look and sound fancy. Maybe some day. For now, I'll stick with my home made PSM. Total cost was $1.16 at home store to buy a 4" drainage pipe connector. I already had a section of pipe on my downspout that won't miss 22 inches. ;-)
Old 10-04-2009, 07:09 AM

The scoop has been installed this morning.. Will be taking a drive later today to see if I can notice anything. I drove the truck some yesterday with only the filter and cant really state if there was any change. Was rainy and cool which makes it difficult to see smoke and tires spin to easy. The main reason I was changing was to try and help with my smoke from having a larger turbo. Today I will see if it has helped.

I can agree with edmonton that the fit and finish have been great. I spent more time taking the inner skirt on/off than it took to install the scoop. Holding the scoop in my hand and looking at where it needed to go before removing skirt it looks like it cannot possibly fit in there. It did without much trouble at all. My only concern would be of hitting curbs or other items especially if I was a 4 wheel drive guy. My truck stays on pavement for the most part and having slightly larger tires I need to be less concerned of the curbs. Others may want to think about this so you do not damage the scoop.

Now for some breakfast..
Old 10-04-2009, 10:38 AM

yeah lets see the pics when you got a chance. and some evidence on more power. how far does the super scoop come up the fender does it come all the way to the air inlet on the side of the the fender or does it stop short of that thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 11:05 AM

1985cuv
Have you looked at the Banks site? There are more than enough pictures of the Banks setup. They are from a Dodge as that is exactly what I was looking at when I did my install. I am not a picture taker...
http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/303/6

I would not mind to see how the Flatlander's design came out with a picture or 2?

Quick Reply: Banks Super Scoop