3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Banks Six Gun not as good as I thought...thoughts on why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Six Gun not as good as I thought...thoughts on why?

I just bought a Six Gun w/out speed loader, just the six on the fly adjustment ****, got it all hooked up, and it codes missing egt sensor...which it can come with or without. The truck did wake up a little, but not nearly as much as the Bully Dog Power Pup I had before, and thats on level six. My thoughts are that I need to buy the speed loader with sensor, but my question remains, is this normal, or does the Banks system just suck that badly. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:23 PM

in my opinion baks is good if you want all the saftey features that make it so you dont have to pay attention. i think there are way better deals out there, more bang for you buck, you could spend less money on a different brand and get more power. that is what i have seen, never bought their product before.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:56 PM

I have actually ran across a few Auto Trans, 3rd gen trucks that had the whole BANKS shibang sixgun/speedloader pda or whatever they call it & also banks high ram with stock turbo, stock injectors, stage 2 afe intake with complete stock exhaust

the trucks were actually pretty fast all things considered
basically stock with the exception of banks programming ,Banks high ram & afe stage 2 intake thats it...

minimal smoke , great acceleration , spin the tires easily , not bad

but very expensive hp gain &" minimal power for the $$"

but if you dont ever plan to really want to upgrade your trans $$ , and you live in a green enviro city & black smoke is a no no

& you dont want to keep sinking $$ into your truck fixing broken parts $$

IMHO the banks set up is probably a viable option for someone with goals & aspirations like that for their truck
Old 01-21-2010, 09:14 PM

Well, thats good news, the only problem is, even on level six, I still can't spin my 275 tires. That sucks! well, i'll try the speadloader this week when I get it and see what happens. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
You might not be getting enough fuel. I highly recommend getting gauges to monitor FP, EGT, ect. Tapping the EGT probe is not hard to do at all.

Fill your sig out so we know more about your truck...

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/....html?t=224825

Welcome to the DTR
Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 AM

I Had One On My 2004 Duramax And It Kept Screwing Up So I Took It Off. Junk!!! Will Not By Or Recomend Banks.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:14 AM

I have had the banks six gun w/ speedloader for over a year now and I really like it. I also have the banks egt and boost pressure guages. No, I won't line up and race it, but it really added a lot to my truck. My truck is an '03 SO so I only started out with 250hp. I can't spin my 315's but I think when i go down a size or two I will be able to. Of course, that isn't really what I am all about. I really like when I am towing too. My egt's never get above 1200 (when accelerating) and I have always had plenty of power.

I don't think it fuels very hard at lower rpm's and that is why everyone says it is slow (aka junk). I am very happy with mine and haven't had one issue with it. I do wonder if I am draining my fuel rail some times when i am on the throttle real hard though. Mainly becuase my boost pressure will hit 30psi for just a second or two then drop down to 26 or so.

Anyways, if you are just trying to get some fairly safe horsepower then I think you will be happy. If you want to line it up and race you probably wont' like it.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:48 AM

Just say " No thanks to Banks "

Too many problems with their stuff, search it here and see for yourself.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:01 PM

I had the Six Gun for awhile and wasn't impressed at all until I added the Speedloader. It made quite a bit of difference. However, I got bit by the bug and ended up selling the Banks. Overall, it worked just fine on my truck. While trying to troubleshoot in the beginning though, their customer service was pretty pathetic.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Banks does make some good hard parts and their software is good as well. Their software is just not as aggressive as others. They have plenty of safeguards built in that will cut back fuel at the first sign of high temps. A lot of their hard parts aren't really needed at the power level they deliver. So basically its not a lot of bang for the buck.

I know a guy who has a full Banks Powerpack on his truck and is satisfied with it. His is a 6 speed and he leaves the Banks cranked to the max, it cuts back fuel when needed.

I think you see a lot of Banks stuff out there because they easily have the largest advertising budget of any of the diesel tuners, plus Gale likes to talk some trash in his ads (big turnoff for me). A lot of folks don't really know that there are other options out there.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:30 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the six-gun /speedloader and was happy with it too until I tried other things and found out just how weak it was. If you're not happy with it now, you are not going to be that much happier with the speedloader... it adds about 20-25hp over the sixgun alone. Like said above, it cuts fuel in many ways, not just temps. Also tranny slippage (for autos) and other things too... like turning on the ignition...

Banks IMO, is just too much $$$ for the power you get. Some people think it is more than what it really is just because of the way it delivers the power... similar to a two stroke powerband. Nothing at the bottom, hits hard about 2100 rpms, dies around 2900.

My advice is to choose a different product if you really want more juice tha you are getting now.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:44 PM

call ol' Gale himself, and tell him what you think about his bad ace products.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:01 PM

Sorry to hear about your dismay with Banks Cra*...
Old 01-25-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lots of bells and whistle with little go and a big price tag... Thank god I learned on here before I went that route. Whewww!!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 PM

I had a 6-gun with a speed loader as my first box on my truck when I first bought it. All it took was someone showing me how one ran with a TST, that and a few fried injectors, to get me to sell it immediately! I have never been happier and haven't had any problems at all since I sold it in 2006 and bought my TST. Not plugging for TST, but there are a lot better and much more capable boxes and programmers out there than anything Banks has. They have great safety cut backs too if that's your worry, but you can get rid of them if you want to take care of the parameters yourself instead of being forced to use them.

Quick Reply: Banks Six Gun not as good as I thought...thoughts on why?