3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Banks Six Gun

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Six Gun

Any one running this? what are the Pros and Cons? Any one know what the Speed loader that goes with it is?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2004, 11:28 AM

Re: Banks Six Gun

Originally posted by BulletMan
Any one running this? what are the Pros and Cons? Any one know what the Speed loader that goes with it is?

Thanks
I've talked to Banks about the Six Gun & the Loader. From what they say it's the BOMB
It will not let you do harm to your engine if you run it on 20 or 40%. They still reccomend the Loader because it will give you other inputs, ie EGT and things. This is extremmly useful to the Six Gun because is tracking all the info to best run the engine and get the best performance.
Right now you can't get them because they are all sold out
I'm going to wait for about 2 months to see the real world results
Old 02-02-2004, 12:43 PM

I've talked to Banks about the Six Gun & the Loader. From what they say it's the BOMB
I know this kinda gets beat to death around here but there is really good reasoning behind it. Be very skeptical about what Banks says and claims... If anyone is considering this box please Do Thorough Resurch. Right now TST box is being released that has the Banks box heavily beat on performance. The Banks features they sell you on is EGT limit and on the fly controls. Both the TST and EDGE boxes will have SELECTABLE EGT limits and on the fly controlls, they will also have controlls that will help adjust bottom end fueling to help with smoke when other performance parts are added. The both will also have built in gauges. The TST boxes will flood the market very soon and there will be tons of info on them. EDGE is still working on their pulse box also.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:05 PM

more info and opinion:

all the boxes out there are either a me-too box or are making an important industry contribution:

1. Banks' contribution is in their tranny-saving slip detection. The power enhancments themselves are pretty old school -- pressure and timing. you may like the slip detection thing; I'm not convinced that it really would benefit me (6-speed).

2. the first boxes on the market were pressure boxes. then pressure/timing boxes. Bullydog has had a pressure/timing box out for a long time now, so the Banks approach isn't anything new in that regard.

3. We are on the cusp of realizable new technology as battering ram said: duration. in MY opinion, a timing/duration box is the best approach. zero stress to the fuel system in terms of additional pressure.

keep in mind this is MY opinion: to me, the Banks box is a contradiction. they come out with a timing/pressure box almost a year late, and introduce it with the tranny slip detection. This is curious to me because I'm one of those "pressure boxes are not for me" guys. the Banks box makes this grand industry contribution to tranny reliability and then use the one power enhancment method that puts the most stress on the engine: fuel pressure!
Old 02-02-2004, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree 100% doug. I don't want to increase the fuel rail pressure, but bring on the timing and pulse duration increasing boxes. Banks is lame. I can't wait to hear how those new TST boxes are, but the in cab controller looks like a royal POS. I am probably going to see what comes out in the next few months, especially waiting for the new EDGE!

Does anyone see any possible negative side effects from increasing the pulse duration?
Old 02-02-2004, 06:44 PM

Not tryin to start anyhting but you keep saying they will have this and that right? so that means they don't have this and that now right? I am not defending Banks or putting anyone elses boxes down but Banks has their box now.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:56 PM

Not tryin to start anyhting but you keep saying they will have this and that right? so that means they don't have this and that now right? I am not defending Banks or putting anyone elses boxes down but Banks has their box now.
Yes both the TST box and EDGE box will have all the features mentioned. The TST box has just started shipping and the EDGE box has not been released yet.

Horace
Old 02-02-2004, 07:02 PM

Six-Gun

We are currently testing the Six-Gun in Jeff's 2004 with 48RE. The power is very good and with the speed loader very impressive with EGTs still under control at just over 1000F at WOT. The power is smooth and strong especially in the higher rpms after the converter locks up.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:40 PM

I have the TST box on my truck with a stock 48re,I hope to get the DTT stuff in ASAP! This box on the upper settings is insane the way it comes on so hard. The EGT's do get out of control quick on the upper settings but are not too bad on the lower. I first tried it on HP# 6 and TQ# 3 and it SHOCKED me on how strong it came on. I cant wait to get the tranny done then my quick spool B-1 and then injectors too!

John
Old 02-03-2004, 10:24 AM

I called Banks today they said it will still be a good three weeks before I get one, I ordered mine on 1/19 and they already charged me. They told me when I ordered they would have them out on1/30/. Sure makes me wonder hope its worth the wait.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:16 AM

We are taking orders for the Banks Six-Gun and Speed loader now and will call when they are in stock or the order can be placed and no charges will be made until the units actually are shipped.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:18 AM

Any one know much about Western Diesel Chips? Any one know were to get the best price on TST box's?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Floor It
I have the TST box on my truck with a stock 48re,I hope to get the DTT stuff in ASAP! This box on the upper settings is insane the way it comes on so hard. The EGT's do get out of control quick on the upper settings but are not too bad on the lower. I first tried it on HP# 6 and TQ# 3 and it SHOCKED me on how strong it came on. I cant wait to get the tranny done then my quick spool B-1 and then injectors too!

John
Huh, you just casually mention this on the banks thread, while we are all dying to hear about the tst box? Are you testing them or did you get one from the production run already?
Old 02-03-2004, 01:56 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to just jump into this thread and start anything. I dont have all the info that I know I'm going to be asked but I do have quite of bit of info. I have one of what will be the first production runs, I am doing testing and have been given permission to post about the box.Then they are probably going to tone it down a bit but they will offer this box later as the competion version. I am going to start a thread later tonight after a bit more info, if I can because it has snowed quite a bit here. Again I was excited about this box and I didnt mean to start something.

John
Floor It Diesel Performance
Old 02-03-2004, 03:08 PM

i sure hope that my "pre-ordered" tst box is of the "500 torq" FLAVOR.. you know?

thats what i read, and thats what I bought.

Quick Reply: Banks Six Gun