3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

BANKS POWER Products????

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BANKS POWER Products????

What do ya'll think of BANKS POWER product's? What is the best performance products for the 5.9 24v motors?
Old 01-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
you are opening pandoras box with the "B" word.

gale spends a ton in marketing and has good products but you can get more for less
Old 01-22-2011, 05:13 PM

I have the Big Hoss Bundle. I like it, but a lot of people don't. I compared prices to get everything that came in the package and I feel I did ok. It was easy to install and I get great support from them.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which 24v? Yes you can get more for less $$$. Take your time and do some homework. I chose to keep my gauges seperate and I had them before any fuel mods so I could do accurate before and after tests. I had a terrible time with banks when I had a 97 215hp. They sold me parts that were totally wrong for my app. and then they had no clue why my power curve was so screwed up. I eventually figured it out myself. One experience with banks was enough for me! Craig
Old 01-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Banks hard parts are pretty nice. Their electronics are not bad, but you can get a lot more power elsewhere. I'd spend my money somewhere else.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 AM

I agree, with what was said above.... Do your homework and save some money... Banks...
Old 01-24-2011, 09:39 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had a six gun with speedloader in the past and have some experience with the "hard parts" too.
The electronics are way overpriced and underpowered for what you get. Also, they are mostly pressure boxes (increased power is a result of the increase of injection pressure). Pressure is the least desireable way of increasing power as it shortens injector life.
The hard parts are quality made, but by and large you can get a like product from a different manufacturer that performs better and is cheaper priced. The intercooler is the exception to that rule.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:12 AM

i have a Banks intercooler. I bought it used, so I got it about half price. I am happy with it not saying If i was buying new i would have got it though.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 AM

What did that used inter-cooler run you BigDan?
Old 01-24-2011, 02:07 PM

Agreed banks hard parts are good. The Edge electronics work well in the 24v trucks but if you buy a box get the stealth cover for the vp44. Trying to get to the wire on the back of the pump is a pain.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:44 PM

I ordered a Banks Econominder Stinger system with IQ, intake and exhaust almost a year ago. My major reason for finally doing a performance system was the exhaust pipe was starting to pit pretty deep from rocks from the tires and, while that wasn't a perfect excuse, I went with it. Banks had a sale on at the time and with the exchange rate I felt it was a relatively good deal, especially compared to local oil boom prices at the time in the nearest city.

Having installed it I am amazed how much different the truck is. On the higher power settings it is enough power to keep me happy. I guess I am not out for the biggest possible increases like some. I do appreciate not blowing smoke ever (I can get a blue tint in the exhaust cloud when it is really cold out, but not much). I also appreciate being able to push a button to drop the power setting to stock on bad roads.

I have had the IQ depower to factory power settings on steep hills because it noticed transmission slippage on the highest power setting. This happened the first time I pulled the quads and Ranger on a trailer and tried it out on a long steep river hill. However, Banks says not to use settings 5 or 6 while towing with an automatic so I shouldn't have done that. The important thing - the electronics monitor things and backs off if something is outside normal. I suppose other makes might do this too though.

Fuel economy can be improved by a little with the system. In terms of using the same driving styles, apples to apples before and after, yes, it helped as long as I don't use the extra available power. Realistically I keep blowing this because I will get behind slow traffic and will bump up the setting and go.

I think the main reason I went with Banks in the first place was the advice I got the first time I called to find out more info on the Economind electronics. They asked what I wanted to get from the product. When I answered they said not to get the electronics but to go with an intake and exhaust system first as it would give me much of what I was looking for for the least money. Then if I wanted more look at the electronics. But like I said, their sale and the exchange rate made it worthwhile to get it all at once. Local dealers for other systems all pushed the chips or programs first, improved airflow was not even mentioned by most. Maybe a sign of where I live though as opposed to what the aftermarket manufacturers offer.

My single biggest dislike is the IQ itself. It is great. It is easy to use and can show 5 gauges at once including corrected (for tire size) speed, egt, transmission temp, engine temp, and everything else the truck can measure but doesn't tell you. It also reads Dodge diagnostic codes. It can be used for tons of tablet applications and music. I don't use these things though. My complaint??? It shouldn't be left out in the cold or extreme heat. So I often just set the system on power level 3 or 4 and leave the IQ in the house except for long trips this winter or, as I stated already, if it is icy recently, and have had way too much ice as soon as it warms up. (We have hit -40 a few times).

Maybe Banks knows how to cater to the more conservative customer, maybe I could get more for less with another product. But I am happy with what I have.